HBO's Game of Thrones (NON-SPOILER THREAD)

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Evil Agent, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Ah, I think I worked out what's confused me.

I must have thought Robert was a King of some land/country, and that the Throne was above all that - If that makes sense? I think it's because I got a bit confused due to the Meister and the Lurvin' Lannisters (Right?) talking about someone passing away right at the very start of the show.

2. Evil Agent

Evil Agent Saturn Comes Back Around

A long time ago there were independent kings, but now all Seven Kingdoms are united under one king.

The guy who passed away at the beginning was Jon Arryn, the Hand of the King (main advisor). Ned Stark has replaced him, and is the new Hand.

3. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Right. I should now hopefully be less confused! Thank you, EA.

4. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Thoughts on last night's episode (#5).

I'm not sure, if I'm honest. Half of the combat scenes looked almost laughable if I'm honest. The scene where Caitlyn is attacked on the road? Oh dear, that wasn't well choreographed. The same went for the fight between Incest Boy and Ned.

I also wasn't sure about the scene in the dungeon. Villains/advisers aren't supposed to be stupid, so why were they talking about what they were in a large corridor that echoes and makes them sound louder, especially when Littlefinger and others have eyes and ears everywhere?

Who was the guy who got cock-blocked by the prostitute? The guy who kept trying to insult Tyrion but came off as an arrogant sod, that is. Is that Ned's eldest?

Oh, talking of Tyrion... Peter Dinklage stole the show once again. He's got to be one of the best actors on the show.

5. Evil Agent

I loved the fight scenes (especially the one you didn't like!). I thought this was the most exciting episode so far.

Anyways, that guy with the prostitute was Theon Greyjoy. They introduced him in Episode 4 last week (two scenes), and gave him another two scenes this week. I can see it being confusing, though.

He's not a Stark, he's essentially a hostage ("ward") who was raised by the Starks. His family, the Greyjoys, staged a failed rebellion 9 years ago. When it was over, Ned Stark took Theon to Winterfell as a ward, where he was raised, to ensure the obedience of the Greyjoy family.

6. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Oh, I see. I knew I'd seen him around. He looks a bit like Ned's eldest, I think, and maybe even sounds a bit like him.

Oh, I know what I forgot to mention. The Mountain didn't do a good job of decapitating his horse, did he? But that sword was huge!

7. algernoninc

algernoninc Now I'm an axolotl

I think I prefer this slightly clumsy, grain threshing style of fighting to the the choreographed kung-fu dance of wire traction heroes.
    The blades are quite heavy, and both Ned and Jaime showed the importance of footwork. The waterdance also insist on mobility, but with lighter blades and without full plate armor.

8. DailyRich

DailyRich Damn fool idealist

Although a few of those kingdoms aren't convinced the best man got the job.

9. KatG

KatG Effulgent Staff Member

That's one of those things where stuff from the book isn't quite clear in the show. The two men are coming in from tunnels that run under the palace and are not regularly used so that the guy will not be seen. The "dungeon" is an old one, a deserted space where they've stashed the old dragon skulls, not an active area, so they aren't expecting spies and the echoing is primarily for Arya because of sound bouncing off the dragon skulls, if I remember right. Arya ends up using these tunnels, which take her out of the palace, and she ends up coming around to the gates where she has to talk her way back in. This is foreshadowing.

I agree that the actors playing Theon and Robb look rather alike, which was a problem in the first couple of episodes where they didn't properly explain who Theon was, so that it seemed like he was a Stark relative of some kind. But they fixed it when Tyrion talks with Theon and it's explained who Theon is. Their conversation was about Roz the prostitute in part, so that's why Theon brings up Tyrion with Roz. He's still pissed off about that conversation with Tyrion, as Tyrion is the master of put-downs. :)

10. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

But surely, for two people playing such a dangerous game, it's a careless move? Well, it was a careless move as Arya overheard them, intentionally or not.

I probably couldn't tell you who either of them were if you put them next to each other :p Robb's the one in Winterfell, right? And Theon is... Uh... One of the people on The Wall? It'd make sense because isn't Roz in a brothel near The Wall?

And Tyrion is just the Master.

11. Evil Agent

The book makes it more clear that by chasing the cat, Arya has found herself deep in the bowels of the keep where no one has been in a long, long time. It wasn't as clear in the show.

Theon (Greyjoy) is still in Winterfell, along with Robb and Bran (Stark). He was standing right beside Bran in this week's episode, doing archery practice while Bran was at his lessons.

12. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Except for the scheming gits, of course ;)

Right, I think I'm with you now. Is Theon the one with lighter hair?

13. Spears&Buckler

Spears&Buckler MJ Dusseault

Yes, that's him.

14. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Excellent, thanks!

Hopefully I'll be able to tell the difference in future :p

15. pat5150

pat5150 Staff

What do you think of HBO's GoT? New poll on the Hotlist here.

Cheers,

Patrick

16. Evil Agent

Actually, there has been a bit of continuity trouble with his hair. It has changed back and forth from dark brown (almost black), to light brown, to blond (in some shots from the original pilot). So hair colour is perhaps not the best way to remember him.

Anyways, he's not a Stark and his actions will usually make that clear enough. His behaviour and attitudes are quite different from Robb.

Also, he's played by singer Lily Allen's brother (here's a song she wrote about him).

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  17. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

I... See...

Right. I'll try to remember who he is :p

18. Evil Agent

Slight Theon spoiler...
    He's not important until Season 2.

19. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

I think I've got it nailed down now, EA.

Right, so thoughts... Pretty good episode, seemed rather eventful on the whole as I can see it having bigger impacts. Daenerys is free of her brother now (Or is she?) and really doing a good job of getting Khal's people to love her and treat her as their queen, Tyrion is going to cause more issues, Ned Stark probably just caused himself one hell of a headache, and Rob isn't a happy bunny (There's a surprise...).

Joffrey made me cringe with his "You are my lady!" scene. It was by far less palatable than last week's sex scene (Which I really didn't mind). That kid is seven kinds of slimy...

20. Evil Agent

Yeah, I thought it was another fantastic episode! Still no Jon Snow this week (that's 2 weeks in a row without the Wall), but we got to see Dany again. I actually felt sorry for her brother Viserys (Harry Lloyd makes him a little more sympathetic than in the books). You're totally right about Ned Stark causing himself headaches. He's so stubbornly honorable that he's his own worst enemy. It's part of what I love about him, though.

Yes, Joffrey is creepy! It was hard to watch that scene without laughing. I felt sick when Sansa kissed him.