Hello

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Galliana, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Galliana

Galliana New Member

My name is Galliana and my boyfriend has just had his first book published on Kindle and I read it - although I didn't want to because I thought Fantasy wasn't my thing - however I really loved it and can't wait for the next one to be finished.

So I thought I'd join a forum or 2 to get some suggestions of other good fantasy books I could try as a new fantasy girl!!

Thank you in advance for any help :)

:)

2. Lord Pendragon

Lord Pendragon Registered User

Hi Galliana!

Congrats to your boyfriend, and welcome to the forums and the genre! :)

There are many, many, many books to choose from when you talk about fantasy, with very different tones. Could you tell us a bit more about what you liked about the book you read? It would help folks give you better recommendations.

3. Ochos

Ochos Hell!

I would start with the Hobbit, especially with the films coming out soon.

4. Galliana

Galliana New Member

I have always been put off reading the Hobbit and the LOTR books after trying to read it as a teenager and not getting into it?

James' book has a good plot, although clearly there is something more going on which you don't get to know in book one (but I have my suspicions but no amount of bribery is getting it out of him!! lol) It focuses on 3 seemingly normal late teen kids and follows their journeys into a world of magic, fighting and 'Dark Ones'...

I am not sure if this helps? lol

5. Galliana

Galliana New Member

I have just ordered A Song of Ice and Fire (1) - A Game of Thrones (Reissue)

Any good?

6. Ochos

Ochos Hell!

very good, enjoy.

7. Ochos

Ochos Hell!

i would also have a look at David Eddings, Belgariad series. very enjoyable, not as heavy as a game of thrones and some great laugh out loud moments. Excellent if you are just starting out in the genre.

8. Whiskeyjack

Whiskeyjack sapper-in-chief

I second the recommendation by Ochos of the Belgariad series as good, clean, fun reading and a great intro to the basic tropes of the fantasy genre. Also, Terry Brooks' first Shannara trilogy (esp. Elfstones of Shannara) is a good place to start the genre, for the same reason. You can work yourself up to more complex fantasy works from there. Happy reading!

9. Spears&Buckler

Spears&Buckler MJ Dusseault

I also think that the Belgariad would be a good starting point, for all the reasons already stated and also because it's not so jaw-droppingly great that everything that you read after would be a disappointment. What I mean is if I had started with, say, Prince of Nothing by R. Scott Bakker (which is one of my all-time faves), my expectations might be a little too high for what I read after. You know what I mean?

10. ebusinesstutor

ebusinesstutor Star Gawker

I would suggest Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar series as a good one for a newbie to fantasy to get into. Some humour and romance as well as fantasy elements.

A series I really enjoyed.

Or, if you like dragons, Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series.

11. Khale

Khale Registered User

I would say start with Erikson's Gardens of the Moon. Nice easy reading! Ok ok, I am kidding.

I will eccho starting with Terry Brooks. The story moves fast and is not complex like Martin.