Help me identify a piece of artwork, artist

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by KatG, Jul 4, 2012.

1. KatG

KatG The Bony Hand of Death Staff Member

Okay, this isn't a piece of fiction I.D., it's a work of fantasy art. It was a painting put out very widely as a framed and poster print in the 1980's. It's called "The Citadel." I've had it forever, but I don't know who the artist is. The picture fits in a drawn circle. There's a blue colored (snow) mountain range in the background with a nighttime sky and a small orange moon, then a line of volcanic fire (with volcanic lava rocks in the bottom foreground.) A brown stone, fairy taleish castle with many turrets is perched on the back of a giant human figure made of stones on a green patch of ground. In the lower left corner, a red and blue winged dragon perches and spits a jet of flame toward the stone man hill. In style, it's a bit Whelan-like, but not necessarily his.

I've tried to do several Internet searches, but had no luck. If anyone knows whose picture it is, let me know.

2. Eventine

Eventine Uh, Staff Member

Do you have a smartphone? You could try using Google Goggles.

3. PeterWilliam

PeterWilliam Omnibus Prime

Is this the one? If so, its Jim Kirwan.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  4. KatG

Yes, that's it exactly! Thanks, Peter.

5. PeterWilliam

PeterWilliam Omnibus Prime

No problem. I was lucky enough to hit on it, using the clues you gave. I found Kirwan's gallery online and he seems to use that large centered circle a lot. An interesting style.

6. KatG

I also went to his site, and discovered that one of his paintings of a unicorn was also used in a unicorn themed calendar I was given (hey, I was 12.) It's also in a circle, so yeah, I think that was his thing. But he also has a number of different pieces I like. But I love the stone man in Citadel, and so have kept it. It's nice to know who the artist is -- I tried some searches, but couldn't nail it.