Horror Recommendations!

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Hemingway, May 2, 2003.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Guest

What Horror novels do you recommend?

2. fluffy bunny

fluffy bunny Tasty or your money back! Staff Member

The Stand- Stephen King (pet semetary and the shining are also worth reading)

Have a look though the HP lovecraft tales (depends on the anthology you pick up as to which ones occur in which volume)- quite a few pretty good ones - try and find one with montains of madness in it to start with

Best Ghost Stories of Algernon Blackwood- Algernon Blackwood (is an antholgy edited by Bleiler

I am Legend - Matheson (sp?)
    Frankenstein- Shelly
    The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - R.L. Stevenson
    The Exorcist- Blatty
    Something Wicked This Way Comes- Ray Bradbury
    Hungry Moon- Ramsey Campbell (good luck finding it though)
    Rosemary's Baby- Ira Levin
    Imajica- Clive Barker
    Sineater- Massie
    Relic- Preston
    Sacrifice- Vachss
    The Between - Tananarive Due
    Lost Souls - Brite

[on the edit]

Ah- found the list I was using to decide what to read when I got back into the genre last yr:

http://www.horror.org/readlist.htm

(it's been updated with winners of the Stoker awards- oh surprise surprise- american gods won last year)

Last edited: May 3, 2003
  3. AuntiePam

AuntiePam Cranky old broad

Mountains

fluffy bunny, At the Mountains of Madness is my favorite HPL story.

Extremely powerful story. HPL has never been better. I had to grab a blanket while reading it -- did anything like that happen with you?

I'd like to read it again, but re-reads are often a disappointment, and I don't want to ruin the memories of that story.

4. fluffy bunny

fluffy bunny Tasty or your money back! Staff Member

It's easy to forget how much tension one author can pack into such a relatively small number of pages. I think my sanity was preserved by reading it in 2 sittings rather than one due to time, but I was gripped nonetheless.

Loved the style Lovecraft writes in- MoM hooked me from the start. 'I am forced into speech because men of science have refused to follow my advice without knowing why. It is altogether against my will that I tell my reasons for opposing this contemplated invasion of the antarctic - with its vast fossil hunt and its wholesale boring of the ancient ice caps. And I am all the more reluctant because my warning may be in vain.' From there, it starts off benign enough, but it builds and builds. Genius.

I find that the short stories of Lovecraft are best read between big novels of genres based in normality rather than all in one big chunk. Keeps you on your toes, looking over your shoulder. Something is out there brewing in the background of normailty, and the quest to find it has driven many people insane. Conspiracy lovers would thrive on it. In one go, I'd imagine Lovecraft loses some of his impact.

5. AuntiePam

Fluffy, I think you must be right, about interspersing HPL with normal reading.

Did you ever think that the Necronomicon might actually exist? That HPL knew something we didn't, that his "fictional" stories were the only way he could tell us about The Old Ones?

At the least, did you ever think that HPL believed what he was writing? I sure do, uh, er, did.

There lies madness. Now I'm freaking myself out.

6. Zaknafein

Zaknafein Now, where was I?

Most recently, I enjoyed "Sumer of Night" and "A Winter Haunting" by Dan Simmons very much.

7. Heathen

Heathen New Member

SWAN SONG by Robert McCammon

IT by Stephen King

Good horror short stories by Rob't McCammon in BLUE WORLD

8. Gravity's End

Gravity's End Registered User

Of course, there is a book that came out years ago purporting to be "the real" Necronomicon. I read through it, and it appeared to be the mediocre result of an attempt to sell books through marketing, but hey, you may want to take a look at it.

The foreward, which includes some hilarious accounts of "tragedies" and "odd events" coinciding with the publishing of the book is worth reading, just for laughs.

9. AuntiePam

Gravity's End, I think I've heard of that one. Yeah, it's not the real thing, of course, and by now I realize that the real thing doesn't exist.

But it was fun, back in the late 70's, calling bookstores and asking did they have this book, and then having to spell it for them.

10. diabolus

diabolus New Member

Does Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door count as horror? I'd say so. There were some pretty horrible scenes, that's for sure.

11. AuntiePam

diabolus -- The Girl Next Door probably counts as horror but without the supernatural aspect. Or is there a supernatural aspect? I haven't read it -- it's a psycho killer story, isn't it?

12. Chick Flava

Chick Flava New Member

Summer of Night! I loved that book. I also recommend it.

13. NeuroMortis

NeuroMortis New Member

Read The List of Seven by Mark Frost.

No, really. Go. Right now. Buy it. Read it. Fear it.

14. Davis Ashura

Davis Ashura Would be writer? Sure.

I finished "The Fallen" by Dale Bailey and am in the middle of his next book "House of Bones".
    I usually don't read horror, but I've really liked his books so far.

15. LUKEDAWG

LUKEDAWG New Member

The Fallen..any relation to the movie w/ denzel Washington and John Goodman, where the detective finds this demon that passes through people by touch? Love that movie!

16. Davis Ashura

Davis Ashura Would be writer? Sure.

I remember that movie. But no, it is not related to the book. The book is about a man who left his hometown in W.Va long ago and has to return because his father committed suicide. There is something that scared him away from the town when he was a young man, something he's forgotten, but it hasn't forgotten him. And it's waiting for him.

The House of Bones I actually like better. It is about a housing project in Chicago called Dreamland that is rumored to be haunted. A very wealthy billionaire invites a group of strangers to spend two weeks with him in this place for reasons of his own. All of them have a past that they'd rather forget, and some are tied to Dreamland by that past.
    It was reminiscent of the Shining.
    Here's a link to amazon with what some other readers have said.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0451210794/qid=1074520768/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-2948452-3082467?v=glance&s=books

17. Roland

Roland New Member

Has anyone read Dan Simmons? I though the Hyperion Cantos was one of the very best series of all time, though sci-fi. I'm wondering how his other horror novels rate?

18. AuntiePam

Roland, he's kinda wordy, but worth it, I think. But Hyperion was kinda wordy too, and you liked it, so you'd probably like his more straightforward horror too.

I like everything he's done. Summer of Night might be just about everybody's favorite. Song of Kali is very good too.

19. Roland

Roland New Member

That's good to hear. I went down and bought "Summer of Night" last week and then decided to ask about his work. I'll have to check out Song of Kali also.

20. The One

The One Re-Animator

The ghost stories of M. R. James are really good too.