How do you decide what to read?

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Davis Ashura, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Erfael

Erfael Lemurs!!! Staff Member

Several people recommended this method to me, Andols. I've tried it a bit but I've just found it to be generally bothersome. If you get caught up for too long without asking for another title and therefore don't feed the old man, he tends to die. Then you've got to go out and hunt down a replacement. Also, being locked in the basement, the old men tend not to keep abreast of the more current books on the market. So depending on how long you've had him down there and how old he is, you may not be recommended anything from within the last several decades, which may or may not be to one's individual taste.

I've had better luck with book slugs, honestly. Much easier to maintain in almost every respect.

2. Andols

Andols I like stories

You might be on to something.

How do the slugs work? You line a few up in lanes with books at the end and have a race?

3. Erfael

Erfael Lemurs!!! Staff Member

That might work. I tend to just open up a can of them on my To-read shelf and let them have at it over night. The next day, whichever book is slimiest is my next read.

4. PeterWilliam

PeterWilliam Omnibus Prime

New to the thread, but for new unpublished, I wait it out and comb through sffworld, amazon, associated links from wikipedia and google search the internet for review. I'm not so concerned with reading only that which will please me, I'm more concerned with the financial matters of getting the most enjoyment per dollar/quid/pound/euro/gil that I can.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008