How do you like your books?

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by dan95 DL=<3, Aug 5, 2010.

1. dan95 DL=<3

dan95 DL=<3 Registered User

So what do you prefer epic series of 5+ tome stones, trilogys or stand alone novels? I like trilogies because there quite short but not too short :) I also like it when there are lots of trilogies by one arthour all based on one world

2. Ornery Wyvern

Ornery Wyvern 50% Certain

Despite the almost inevitable dip in quality from long series I prefer them. I've - unusually apparently, lol - enjoyed every WoT book, love GRRM's work (I love all the books and for me they just keep getting better god's speed George!) and even managed to make it through the first 8 books of Goodkind's SoT before giving up in disgust. I've only just started on Erikson so can't really comment on the series as a whole.

A good trilogy will almost invariably leave me wanting more, and while I enjoy further trilogies in the same world I don't find them as satisfying as the continuation of an epic tale with characters I have come to know and love.

3. Roland 85

Roland 85 Registered User

Personally, I like my books good :p It rarely matters to me whether they're stand-alones, parts of trilogies or bigger series.

4. Jimmy Magnusson

Jimmy Magnusson Registered User

I like series of stand-alone books. Same characters, same world, evolving relationships but different adventures. I just don't have the patience for overly long overly epic series of bricks.

5. Fayth

Fayth Registered User

I don't really have a preference though if the book(s) is really good then I don't want it to end so sometimes stand alone books aren't so great coz I keep wanting the story to continue iygwim.

6. Pvt

Pvt Registered User

I prefer a longer series. Trilogies are wrapped up too quickly. I've only started reading scifi and fantasy recently so most of the books I've gone thru came years ago. I've never had to wait 3-5 years for a sequel.

7. Roland 85

Roland 85 Registered User

I think that's the only type I don't like tbh. It reminds me too much of a never-ending soap opera...

8. Ornery Wyvern

Ornery Wyvern 50% Certain

Lol, well I kinda thought that good went without saying, but then perhaps not. Honestly I think I would generally read a poorly received addition to a beloved series before an acclaimed new effort - though I would almost certainly read both. I guess there is something of a comfy trainer factor in that, lol.

9. Donteb84

Donteb84 Registered User

Trilogies. And I like the most when its multiple trilogies in the same world, a la Farseer, Liveship, Tawny Man, Dragon Keeper. You could technically read them all on their own, but you get the most out of them, if you read them in order. I HATE LONG LONG series, because they almost always seem to get horrible and drawn out towards the end. I would rather have one single good book, then a long series that starts off great, but by book 6, its trash.

10. kurzon

kurzon Reader

I like books. :)

I find a lot of negatives in very long series (ie. Jordan), but otherwise so long as the story is good I am fine with stand-alones, related stand-alones, short series and long series.

11. Orbison

Orbison Making it so.

I don't like stand-alone books as much as I like books that are in trilogies or in a longer series. I find it difficult to just leave a set of characters that I've come to know, especially after just 1 book.

12. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

I've not read many stand-alone books, as many authors write as part of a universe or a series. Even Stephen King sometimes writes his books in a way that links to The Dark Tower.

So, that accounted for, I prefer trilogies. I think. Or smaller series. Something the size of The Wheel of Time isn't that appealing to me, although I hope to read it one day. But the same goes for Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire - Whilst he's only released 4/5 books (5 in the UK, 4 in the US), they're all mega tomes and that also isn't too appealing.

13. Astra_

Astra_ Sony Reader PRS-650

Trilogies and longer.
    In fantasy shorter works do not work for me.

14. Roy Ryders

Roy Ryders The Magnificent

Expensive.

15. Randy M.

Randy M. Registered User

I prefer stand-alones. With a few exceptions, stand-alones have been the strongest fantasy novels I've read.

Next, and sometimes even more than stand-alones, I enjoy collections of fantasy short stories.

I do read the occasional limited series (trilogies, etc.) and mostly avoid extended series, though there are a few I'm considering sampling.

Randy M.

16. PeterWilliam

PeterWilliam Omnibus Prime

I guess I don't really care, as long as it comes in an omnibus edition.

17. Andols

Andols I like stories

I just realized you were behind the times :p I'd like to see your take in some of the threads about the longer works.

back on topic, i prefer longer series in general. ive only read a few fantasy standalones i consider good or great.

18. Randy M.

Randy M. Registered User

Pththththththththth!

I prefer to think I just march to a different drummer. One who may have no sense of rhythm, granted, but different all the same.

I'm reading a longer fantasy work now, On Stanger Tides by Tim Powers. It's over 350 pages!!!!

Seriously, being a fairly slow reader with limited reading time, I get picky. Most long series in various genres that I've read in the past would, with effective editing, have been stronger at half the wordage. (Yes, ghost of David Eddings, I am looking at ... er ... through you.)

I did read Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell in the spring and enjoyed it. Not sure I need another book in that world, though. (And I felt similarly about Dune -- the first one was sufficient in and of itself so I never bothered with the rest.) On the other hand, JS&MN will probably spur me to read some longer works, like John Crowley's Aegypt series and Jeffrey Ford's Physiognomist (sp?) series, and eventually get around to Wolf's New Sun series. But, with limited length series, I'll only read ones that are completed. Martin, for instance, will have to finish his before I'll start it.

Pthththththththththtth!

Randy M.

19. Andols

Andols I like stories

Part of the fun with incomplete works is speculating on the future of the characters. You're missing out!

20. Oubliette

Oubliette Registered User

I prefer standalones or trilogies. A longer series would have to be extremely good for me to read it.
    I never read more than one book at the time and I usually read in very long sittings, because I like to feel that I'm giving the book my full attention and, I suppose, because I'm the sort of reader who likes to analyze and pick things apart.
    If a series goes on for more than about 2000 pages I lose track of all the details, which is frustrating, and I start to get impatient and distracted, thinking about all the other books I want to read.
    When I have read long series/books with mysteries or lots of details, I find myself taking notes :rolleyes:

I try never to start a series if it's still a work in progress for the same reason. Partly the wait is too frustrating, and it makes me feel like I ought to start from scratch when a new volume comes out to make sure I remember everything.
    I'm actually waiting with starting A Song of Ice and Fire for that reason ;)