How do you save your work?

Discussion in 'Writing' started by TheIELighten, Feb 18, 2012.

1. TheIELighten

TheIELighten Magical Ninja

Hello :)

I was wondering how all of you writers who use a computer solely to do all of your writing and world building on save your manuscripts and world building/story planning details?

Do you use online backup? Flash drives? Your computer's hard drive? Email? Or do you employ some other means?

I am looking for ideas ..............

2. MrBF1V3

MrBF1V3 aka. Stephen B5 Jones

I work on my older laptop, keep a dedicated flash drive fairly well updated, and occasionally copy the files to our main computer. I'm never more than a few days out of date.

B5

3. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

Flash drive, hard drive, and sometimes, I e-mail the document(s) to myself.

4. RedMage

RedMage It's not over now

I do not back-up half as often as I should. When I do, I have an external hard drive and a private/closed Mobile Me account that I use. (which I know is going to be upgraded to the Cloud system--or something like that--and all I can think is that I hope it is more user friendly!) I like the idea of the Mobile Me/Cloud system because, as long as you have an account and a computer with internet access, you can access your work from anywhere. Albeit, it would work best when it is all current and up to date.

Since I don't update very often, I'm usually just copying whole folders rather than individual files.

5. Atw

Atw Registered User

I have two flash drive that I save my work onto. I like having all my work separate from my computer, and flash drives are my favored method.

6. hippokrene

hippokrene Peckish

I have an automatic back-up every Sunday to an external HD.

7. Taramoc

Taramoc Author and Game Designer

I use Dropbox. Automatically syncs your files to every PC you use (I write on my Desktop and laptop). And also keeps a backup of everything, so if you need to revert to a previous version is easy as pie. Highly recommended.

8. Susan Boulton

Susan Boulton Edited for submission

Same here. Even if I use the laptop off line, when out and about, next time I am at home it backs up and I can access it on the desktop.

9. zachariah

zachariah Speaks fluent Bawehrf

Some friendly advice from an IT monkey:

Do not trust USB sticks with anything.

Do not trust consumer hard drives, internal or external, with anything you can't afford to lose.

Anything you've spent hundreds of hours creating should be backed up to enterprise-level storage. For almost everyone, emailing it to yourself using a major provider (GMail, Hotmail etc) qualifies. For the paranoid, buy yourself a domain from a decent but cheap hosting company (start with the big sheds like Bluehost, Godaddy and look around to see if you can better their deals), and dump your stuff in the inaccessible areas of the webspace they give you.

For the truly paranoid, use a computer with no internet access and print your stuff every night and put it in a safe.

Belts and braces. I'm not saying never use USB sticks, they're great for transferring data, but always have important data in more than one place where you can.

10. Cirias

Cirias Wirt's Fourth Leg

I save all my stuff to Skydrive, aswell as backing up to a USB stick. As I progress further into my novel, I find myself becoming more and more paranoid about storage!

11. TheIELighten

TheIELighten Magical Ninja

Thank You everyone for all of your replies. Especially the warning about flash sticks. Unfortunately I am going to be moving and losing my internet connection, but my ipod does allow me to save email drafts when not connected, so perhaps between gmail drafts and flashdrives I shall get through. :)

12. TraciLoudin

TraciLoudin Creator of futures

Drop box and Google docs

I'd recommend Drop box and Google docs. Way more organized than emailing it to yourself. You can keep things in folders (or labels in the case of Google docs) that mirror your file system on your computer. I upload the latest version every time I finish writing.

13. kmtolan

kmtolan KMTolan

I use a backup hard drive as well as a copy on my main machine and my portable. Nothing "in the cloud" for me. I don't like the idea of some distant server holding my work. One change to ye olde Terms of Service and presto! What's yours is theirs. Server crashes. Hackers. Hell, my life is already complicated as is (grin).

Kerry

14. Zalz

Zalz Registered User

I store it on the laptop that I write on, of course.

I store it on two different USBs, one which I keep at home, one which I generally have on my person.

I finally store it in an external harddisk that is attached to my desktop.

If my laptop breaks down, my house catches fire and burns the harddisk + USB, and I get robbed of the USB on my person, all at the same time...

Well, in that case I will assume the universe is trying to send me a message.

15. sullivan_riyria

sullivan_riyria Creator of Worlds

I use dropbox and have an automated backup to an external hard drive, routinely email the books to myself and use flash drives.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  16. A. Lynn

A. Lynn Was: "Virangelus"

I did not know Drop Box was so awesome that way, but alas, I do not have internet at home (yet). My own personal method is that I work from a flash drive, occasionally back up to the laptop

17. Wilson Geiger

Wilson Geiger Greymane

I use Google Docs, which is free and I can organize it the way I'd like. I only use USB flash drives to transport files, never for actual storage, which is generally a bad idea.

18. sullivan_riyria

sullivan_riyria Creator of Worlds

Sorry there should have been a conjunction in there...bad writer...I use dropbox and automated backups to an external hardrive (that happen nightly).

19. Gumboot

Gumboot lorcutus.tolere

I work off an SD card with an automatic synch running to a back up folder on my desktop, synching every time I connect the card to my desktop, and every time major changes are made.

I then transfer copies to two DVDs once every few months, which I send off-site as an extra backup.

Once I have the website up and running for my book I'll probably use a non-accessible part of the domain for an additional layer of backup as well, but the user agreements for cloud computing sites like Google Docs and Dropbox leave me less than confident of the safety of my work.

I also have a substantial percentage of my work printed in hard copy, but as time goes on the digital copies are increasingly more important.

20. BrightStar

BrightStar Registered User

I don't back up as often as I should do.

Sometimes, I upload my WIP to somewhere that offers free web space.

Sometimes, I email it to myself.

Sometimes, I save it onto a flash drive.

In an ideal world, I'd be vigilant about doing all three. I'd like to make sure there are multiple copies of my work in multiple places. I shouldn't rely on just keeping it saved somewhere at home. What if there was a fire?

A few years back, I had a major computer failure and lost almost half a chapter of work. Thankfully everything else before that had been saved, but I'd been careless about this particular chapter I was working on at the time. I was never able to retrieve that lost work, and I've never been able to write the missing chapter since then. I've just never been able to write something for it that was as good as that original, now lost version.

You think I'd have learned from that experience. But I haven't.

I did actually back up my writing a few days back though, so at least I'm fairly up to date at the moment. After my computer failure, I did start emailing myself daily backups. But the habit kinda died after a few weeks. And now I'm back to backing up every six months or so---and that's during a good year!