How long does it take for prices to fall?

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by ArtNJ, Jan 31, 2012.

1. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Registered User

Got back into reading almost 2 years ago, almost immediately fell in with you all. Anyway, this time around, I've put several hardcovers on my watch list, waiting for paperbacks to come out with lower prices, and it never seems to happen. For instance, I put King Killer Chronicles book 2 on this type of a watch based on the more mixed reviews for book 2. I kind of assumed it would be a couple of months, but it seems that is most definitely not true, at least not with the initially popular books that I'm putting on my watch list. I'm patient enough, but if I had realized it would be *this* long I might have just bitten the bullet.

2. Michigan

Michigan Registered User

Don't MMP usually come out a year after hardcovers? That's assuming they come out in MMP at all. Sometimes I wonder why MMPs aren't more standard. There are books out there I have wanted to read and haven't for the sole reason that I don't want to pay non-MMP prices.

3. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

A year seems to be about right, although some publishers have a quicker turn around and some (like Tor US) wouldn't know what 'decent timing' was if it kicked them in the shin.

Art; I'm not sure where you're doing these watches and stuff, but I'd say the most fool-proof way is to every couple of weeks or months, to check The Book Depository and Amazon. I typed in - as an example - Rothfuss, and set the availability to pre-order. Ta-dah!. US edition of The Wise Man's Fear, out in 30 days.

I think it's also good to check author/publisher blogs, and if you use Twitter and so on, use it to try and find out from either the author or the publisher. Be warned, though, some publishers reply promptly, some take a little time and some don't at all.

4. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Registered User

Great tip on Amazon & nice to know the wait is almost done for one book on my list anyway. A year is too long, I'll need to start making the decision differently...can I forget about it for a year, or if its going to bug me all year, just buy it!

5. pat5150

pat5150 Staff

The mass market paperbacks usually come out about a year following the hardcover release. But sometimes, especially if a title is popular, they might release a trade paperback edition first, postponing the MMP publication by several months...

Patrick

6. Whiskeyjack

Whiskeyjack sapper-in-chief

This is a good question. I'm wondering the same about ebook (Kindle) versions, too. I've been waiting for Orullian's Kindle edition of The Unremembered to come down from its $14.99 US price (which is too much to pay for an "I wonder if he's any good" new author!). I was assuming that the ebook price would drop when the MMP came out. Well, the MMP just came out today, but the Kindle price hasn't been dropped yet.

7. Mithfânion

Mithfânion Lord of the Wild Hunt

Another thing to consider is that on Amazon, hardcover books are sometimes priced down as bargain books as soon as the paperback edition comes out, usually a year later. I've bought a few books relatively cheap in mint hardcover condition from Amazon this way.

8. Ozziespur

Ozziespur Avaricious Aussie

Hmmm I'm waiting for ADWD to come out in paperback. I have the others in paperback & want to keep the series the same ... anal retentive, moi ?

9. fiddler

fiddler Registered User

It all depends on how smart or greedy the publisher is.
    90 % of the time hardcovers always come out first and paperbacks usually follow 8-12 months later. They can print both types at close to the same prices, but charge much more for the hardcovers. This is the only reason they print hardcovers first. To make the biggest profit they can as soon as they can. They rely on the fans of whatever book to be impatient enough to pay the $30-$35 price in hardcover, so that those fans can read the new book as soon as possible.
    Obviously, this strategy works most of the time or publishers would have abandoned this practice.
    In the long run the paperbacks always sell many more copies than hardcovers, but that takes time, and companies and stockholders especially, see that extra time as time they are not making $.
    There are exceptions. The publishers of the Malazan books of the Fallen for example. I've read every one of them and have always bought the earliest copy available and they have always been the Trade Paperback books. I own every book in the series and they make a handsome line on my bookshelf. I don't own a single hardcover or paperback in this series.
    I have to say I wish all publishers would do this. The price for trade paperbacks is half the cost of hardcovers and more than reasonable as opposed to mass market paperbacks.

10. MattNY

MattNY Registered User

Too long, to be honest.

If there is a book you really want to read, pop for the higher price. It is worth it, rather than waiting.

Also, one can generally find a good price on a hardcover the week of release. Of course, there is also the used book market/libraries, but it really depends on your own personal thoughts or viewpoints when it comes to those (how particular you are about condition, if you intend to keep it for a collection, how you view supporting the publishers with new sales, etc). Or a ebook reader may be something that would pay for itself, with how cheap they are these days. Most new books can be found in the $15 dollar range (or less) upon release.

11. Whiskeyjack

Whiskeyjack sapper-in-chief

The Kindle edition is now $7.99, so it was two days from MMP to ebook price drop for this particular book.

12. Michael B

Michael B Doomfarer

If you want to cut the price even more then wait until the book hits the second hand market. Admittedly you will have to pay postage against being free on Amazon, but you can still save money. You have to watch out for quality though, but most vendors are honest and good does mean good.

I have only either been ripped off once buying a second hand book and often buy stuff that is out of print. In fact, thanks to the second hand market I have copies of all of H Beam Piper's sci fi works.

13. MattNY

MattNY Registered User

I have no problems with this when the savings are significant, or when a book is out of print. But when I see people doing it when they save just a few dollars, I don't understand why they wouldn't pay just a few more dollars to get the product new and support the author/publisher at the same time.