Hunter's Run -- anyone reading it?

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by AuntiePam, Jan 15, 2008.

1. AuntiePam

AuntiePam Cranky old broad

Martin co-wrote this with Gardner Dozois and Daniel Abraham.

It's set on another planet. Humans (and many alien races) have colonized all over the universe, and humans aren't as special (or as advanced) as they thought.

The main character is a prospector, an anti-social type with a bad temper. When the book starts, he's killed someone important and has to head for the hills. While prospecting in uncharted territory, he discovers an alien race. (Alien to him -- maybe they're native, I don't know yet.)

He's captured by the aliens and forced to help one of them search for another man. Apparently the aliens don't want to be discovered.

I'm enjoying it. I don't read much SF, but I've always liked books where humans meet up with other beings.

Should we be upset that Martin spent time on this book when he should have been writing more ASOIAF? ;)

2. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

Gardnzer Dozois wrote his contribution to the book in 1977. GRRM wrote his contribution in 1981. Abraham wrote his contribution in 2004 and then re-wrote and expanded the whole novel by himsef. So it didn't take GRRM away from ADWD at all ;)

3. AuntiePam

AuntiePam Cranky old broad

So this book has been in the works for 30 years? Cool.

4. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

My review:

5. chokipokilo

chokipokilo Unreasonable reasoner

I guess I'll resurrect this Fantasy thread even though this is technically SF.

Anybody know what exactly is the relationship between "Shadow Twin" and "Hunter's Run?" Are they simply written by the same authors, is Shadow Twin a shorter version of Hunter's Run or a part of the story or what? The Amazon descriptions don't seem very similar.

6. Mithfânion

Mithfânion Lord of the Wild Hunt

Going completely from memory here, I thought Shadow Twin was an earlier release, a shorter book, possibly rougher. I suspect Hunter's Run would have the text of Shadow Twin, and more.

7. beniowa

beniowa Registered User

Basically what Mith said. Shadow Twin is the earlier work of Dozois and GRRM. Hunter's Run is the expanded edition with the contributions of all three authors.

8. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

Gardner Dozois started writing it in 1977 but got stuck, so passed it over to George RR Martin, who wrote an additional block of the story in 1981 before getting stuck himself. In 2003 or thereabouts, the aborted story was finally completed by Daniel Abraham and published in novella form the following year as Shadow Twin. Later Abraham went back and re-structured the story as a full-length novel called Hunter's Run, using Shadow Twin as a rough draft.

9. chokipokilo

chokipokilo Unreasonable reasoner

interesting. I've had Hunters Run on my shelf for a while now and was looking for Shadow Twin, but it looks like I won't need to.