I like it rough! Give me a hand?

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by hawkeyye, Jun 11, 2010.

1. hawkeyye

hawkeyye Registered User

So i'm looking for a new book, or series to read. My favorite books from the past 5 years are Abercrobie's First Law series. Specifically the POV's from Logen, Dogman and his party. I love the group dynamic, the action, the grit, the humor (lots), the male bonding and fellowship. I also love some of the betrayal, difficult choices, huge odds, and feeling of loss when they lose a brother. I don't want no Mary Sue characters, some of the heroes have to be severely flawed and/or die. I prefer little or no magic and i'm not big on dragons. Recommendations?

2. ChrisW

ChrisW Banned

You might want to mention other stuff you have already read that's similiar otherwise you will just have twenty people recommending a song of ice and fire.

3. Alchemist

Alchemist Registered User

The Black Company books by Glen Cook? Some David Gemmell, maybe. As Chris said, A Song of Ice and Fire (George RR Martin) applies. Steven Erikson's Malazan books, although they have quite a bit of magic. You might like R. Scott Bakker too, but his is also a more magical world (although should be miserable enough for your tastes). Also, KJ Parker.

4. hawkeyye

hawkeyye Registered User

Sure. I actually haven't read grrm yet, so I already know that. I've been holding off for him to release his next book before I start. I've read the Steel Remains, Warded Man, Dawnthief, and Best Served Cold. That's actually all the fantasy I've read as i'm new to the genre...came over from sci-fi about 6 months ago.

5. ChrisW

ChrisW Banned

This might be a regression to scifi but have you read the Guants Ghosts books by Abbnett?

I'll second Gemmell starting with his Drenai books and Waylander novels.

6. werewolfv2

werewolfv2 Book worm

and I third it :p

7. DelphicRaven

DelphicRaven Registered User

The Malazan books by Steven Erikson might be up your alley. Yes, the series is very, very long and yes, people generally don't start liking it till the third book but it seems to fit the bill and it's worth it. I'm a huge Malazan fan.

I'm not sure if this fits the bill quite as much but Scott Lynch's Gentlemen Bastard's series has lots of male bonding, difficult choices, huge odds, humorous dialogue and lots of ... uh ... creative language. Honestly, this series has made me laugh harder than I've laughed while reading a book in a long time.

This one doesn't quite fit all of your stipulations but Brent Weeks Night Angel Trilogy does have magic, but huge odds, incredible situations and edge-of-your-seat action. I think Joe Abercrombie and Brent Weeks are on the same level (in my opinion, which many may not agree with).

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  8. ChrisW

ChrisW Banned

I don't think malazan meets the little or no magic stipulation no matter how big of a fan you are:)

The Nightrunner books have lots of male bonding eh? Not sure if that was the type of bonding he was after:p

9. DelphicRaven

haha Chris, I agree. I was thinking pre-book 3.... I forgot about what you are talking about before I posted. I guess I should edit and take them off. Oops! I'll go do that now.

And yes, Malazan do have a lot of magic but the rest of it seems to fit what he's looking for. :D

I usually try to avoid giving recommendations because I tend to suck at it... :)

10. ChrisW

ChrisW Banned

Don't sell ya self short. The Lynch rec is a good one which I'll second:)

11. DelphicRaven

Thanks, Chris :)

12. F451

F451 Registered User

If you like sci-fi at all, you might like the David Weber's "Honor Harrington" series. Not much male bonding, though, since Honor's female, but I think the series has some of what interests you. It's popular in military sci-fi circles.

13. Spears&Buckler

Spears&Buckler MJ Dusseault

Love the thread title.

I'll second The Black Company books. I really enjoyed those when I read them. I must warn you that the books are first person narratives as they are supposed to be journals of the Company's jobs. Personally, I love the first person narrative and some of my favorite books are written in the first person. But I know that there are a lot of people that hate it. If you are one of those people, then the Black Company may not be for you.

14. werewolfv2

werewolfv2 Book worm

just wanted to point out that on some of the recs there is a good amount of magic, and I think he said something about wanting low or no magic :p

15. Sheets

Sheets Registered User

Paul Kearney sounds like a good one to try.

16. Woofdog2

Woofdog2 Registered User

Glen cook's The black company (particularly the first trilogy) has been mentioned already, but you might also consider his Dread empire series (the first trilogy is available used in component volumes or omnibus as "A Cruel Wind." ) I did consider the little-or-no-magic requirement, and concluded that the series in great part relies on characters with no magic skill (ex-varthlokkur), it might qualify. Some major military events might (do) have a magical component.

While on the topic of glen cook, his Tower of Fear (fantasy loosely based on carthage after the 2nd punic war, as far as I can figure) is just great. There is a magic-related overall plot, but the various characters do not have magical skills or uses themselves.

17. R.J.

R.J. Is Winter Coming?

Well my tastes are quite similar to the OP but I find myself enjoying the Malazan books of the fallen immensely nonetheless.

18. Mithfânion

Mithfânion Lord of the Wild Hunt

Sword of Shadows by JV Jones might be mentioned in addition to Bakker's 4 books out sofar, maybe Glen Cook though I personally don't like it. Certainly Gemmell, but you may also want to look at some historical epics. To narrow that down a bit, Bernard Cornwell, Cecelia Holland, Giles Kristian, Robert Low and Tim Severin have written series in the last few years, in some cases still ongoing about Viking warriors travelling across the world and encountering all sorts of stuff, this might be worth your time since like me your are fond of Abercrombie's Northmen. There's little to no no magic. You might also check out the Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell. And a book by Guy Gavriel Kay, just because he's a superb and much loved author. His books are semi-historical fantasy epics, big books with lots of characters, very well-written and engaging, plenty of betrayal and emotion and very little ( if any) magic and certainly no dragons. Lions of Al-Rassan for starters perhaps.

19. hawkeyye

hawkeyye Registered User

Thanks guys. I've gone ahead and picked up Gardens of the Moon, and The Black Company. Ill give those a try.

20. Gabriele

Gabriele Registered User

Robert Low, The Whale Road (and sequels, if you like the first one)
    Ben Kane, The Forgotten Legion (ditto; the third and final book will be out this summer)
    -- Both historical fiction, but definitely on the rough side.

Brian Ruckley, The Godless World trilogy. It gets mixed reviews but I liked it.

You could also give Bernard Cornwell's Warlord trilogy and the Saxon books a try. He does some GREAT battle scenes.