I like the new look

Discussion in 'sffworld.com comments, feedback...' started by Andols, Oct 9, 2012.

1. PeterWilliam

PeterWilliam Omnibus Prime

Gotta say its made bot-slaying easy to keep ahead of.

2. N. E. White

N. E. White tmso Staff Member

Actually, it may be. :eek:

I access the site via my computer at work and here at home. At work, using Google Chrome, the smileys do not work, but they do in Internet Explorer. At home, the reverse is true (works in Chrome, but not Internet Explorer. I think there may be something funky going on with a user's internet settings and the settings on the forum. But I wouldn't have a clue what that might be.

3. N. E. White

Yes! As I've said somewhere else: thank you thank you thank you thank you (and a few thousand more for each spam-bot post I do not have to delete)! :)

4. JangoLee

JangoLee Illegal User

This is ugly. The site loads slowly, but at least it looks ugly!:)

5. JunkMonkey

JunkMonkey Registered User

A minuscule quibble but something that is starting to niggle (I hate niggly quibbles) but under our avatars, where it says 'location', I find the way the words wrap (left justified across two columns) to be annoyingly almost unreadable. Is there any way that (to use Steven L Jordan's as an example) this:

the other side.

Could be made to look more like:

-------------------the other side.

So far I'm liking the upgrade but this is an itch...

6. Steven L Jordan

Steven L Jordan I like SF. SF is cool.

I second that request.

7. N. E. White

You all with your quibbles! Well, the powers that be said that suggestions were welcomed, but quibbles breed like cockroaches so they are to be squashed on sight. ;)

Joking, of course. One idea is to shorten your location statements: 'Middle of Infinity' or 'Behind You', but that would be too easy. I'm sure someone is looking in to it, but don't be surprised if it don't change anytime soon. :)

8. N. E. White

Ha! Actually, I do like the look, but you are right about it loading slowly. Noted.

9. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Starting to wonder if the site's style is a little bright. I don't think there's enough contrast between the various backgrounds, which might mean longer posts are harder to read (for me at least) as it might mess with my eyes.

10. Evil Agent

Evil Agent Saturn Comes Back Around

Nitpicking here, but I'm finding I just can't get used to the thread tools ("view first unread", "thread tools", "search this thread", etc.) being on the right hand side of the screen. Most buttons (including "New Posts") seem to now be on the left, but those ones are on the right and I'm constantly looking for them in the wrong place.

11. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

Yeah, after a week or few of the new forum, the colors don't work for me either. All too blendy.

12. Steven L Jordan

Steven L Jordan I like SF. SF is cool.

Mods, be aware that every time I post to a thread, the reply is posted... but I am taken to a page that tells me an error has happened in posting... I see my post, still in an edit window, and I'm invited to submit or cancel the posting. Since it appears as if the first post didn't go through, you're inclined to submit the post... which gives you two identical posts.

As this never happened with the old design, I thought you might need to look into it.

13. chris777

chris777 Registered User

I'll add to that. It happens to me when your post is the first post on the next page of that thread. It says "Are you sure you wish to leave this page your info will be lost". Then you hit DONT LEAVE, post again..and you just doubled posted.

14. Hobbit

Hobbit Now.. A Seriously Likeable Administrator Staff Member

That's an odd one, folks. It's on the list: but perhaps the thing (for now) to do is press leave and see what happens. Presumably then it will only come up once. If it's a long post you might want to copy it first, just in case. Annoying, I realise.

15. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

If you get that message, you can always refuse to leave the page, open the topic in a new tab/window and check to see if your post appeared. If so, close the tab and lose your 'changes'. If not, try again.

16. chris777

chris777 Registered User

In my case anyways you just hit "leave page". The reason you get the message is because it is trying to display your post on the next page. You simply hit leave page and it's fine, it posts correctly. But I can just foresee many duplicate posts because of this popup. It happened in Chrome, not sure about other browsers.

17. DailyRich

DailyRich Damn fool idealist

Did the move to this new format make us more visible on the web or something? Because the level of spam posts has just gotten insane since the change.

18. Erfael

Erfael Lemurs!!! Staff Member

Well, we closed off some of their routes into the site which were letting them post hundreds of spam blog posts per day. I think that has had the unfortunate consequence of pushing them into the main forums. There actually are not as many of them as before, but I think they're more visible now. The cyber-elves are looking into ways to close off more doors. Bear with us in the mean time. We're squashing them as soon as we see them.

19. Hobbit

Hobbit Now.. A Seriously Likeable Administrator Staff Member

I wish that was the answer, Rich. :)

Sadly the move was, in part, to try and restrict the spam: believe it or not, it is doing this, though you may just be seeing more of it than you used to. Always has happened, just most of it happened out of your way.

Understand the frustration: please bear with us.

20. MattNY

MattNY Registered User

I have to say, I am naturally resistant to change at first, so I purposedly did not leave any feedback immediately.

After having a little time with it, I enjoy the new look. It is pretty crisp and clean. There are only a few things I would offer out for future changes:

- Return of smiley type icons (I am confident this is being looked into)
    - Ability to multi quote posts (not a huge deal)
    - Return of the latest reviews at the top of the page (not really needed, but I always enjoyed it)

As always to everyone that helps keep this site working (admins, designers, mods, etc) - thank you for all the hard work that is takes to keep this place running smoothly day in and day out.