I lost my To Buy List

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Asimovking, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Asimovking

Asimovking "Dime Store Rock"

Two days ago I realized that I lost my list of books I want to buy that I made about a year ago. I probably should have written it on multiple pieces of paper and kept them seperated.

I'm currently combing through suggestion threads on here to try to rebuild my list. I doubt I will find them all but what I'm really looking for from you guys is:

A list of good space opera books and book series released in 2011 and 2012. I haven't been keeping up with new releases since I made the list so this will help ALOT.

Thanks in advance,

Asimovking

2. psikeyhackr

psikeyhackr Live Long & Suffer

It was supposed to be stored on your computer.

What kind of primitive society are you living in that still uses paper. :D

psik

3. Westsiyeed

Westsiyeed The Fifth Dominion

Not the books to list but a suggestion where to keep them - have you tried Goodreads? It's a good site for keeping track of all your books to read...

4. Asimovking

Lol the paper was supposed to be a back up in case something happened to the computer. Well something happened to the computer and my stack of books finally got low enough for me to go looking for the paper version of my list and I can't find it.

:D

Thanks.

I'm also looking for some good military sci fi. I like the Honor Harrington series alot. I just finished the fourth book Field of Dishonor. However, the series is filled with alot of conversations that you can almost completely skip over without missing anything. Not much actually happens, especially in books 3 and 4. I am looking for some series that are good, but that aren't that similar to Honor Harrington series.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  5. Omphalos

Omphalos Orthodox Herbertian

Are there really not, like, 50 threads around here with the title "Great Space Opera books listed here!&$%&!!"?

6. Asimovking

And I am looking through them. In this thread I am looking for ones from 2011 and 2012 only. If you can link me to a thread that lists them then awesome.

Also I need to find some military sf threads.

7. algernoninc

algernoninc Now I'm an axolotl

I'll second the Goodreads tip. You can access the site via a phone app when you're in the bookstore / library, and you can also access reviews, synopsis in case you forgot why you put a particular book on the list.

8. psikeyhackr

psikeyhackr Live Long & Suffer

I think the Antares Trilogy is better than the first three books of the Harrington series. Not as much melodramatic crap as Weber does.

Antares Dawn by Michael McCollum
    Antares Passage
    Antares Victory

http://3mpub.com/mccollum/sfaz-04g.htm

But I also think $40 is too much.

We should have a system where books are given away free and readers send a dollar to the author or what they think it was worth.

The TRUE COST of a book is the TIME IT TAKES TO READ IT. So how much is 4 or 5 hours of your time worth?

psik

9. Asimovking

I'm used to reading Peter F Hamilton and George RR Martin. I've never come close to finishing one of their books in 4-5 hours :p

I kinda like the idea of the system though. But I don't imagine many people would send in money.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  10. Omphalos

Omphalos Orthodox Herbertian

11. MattNY

MattNY Registered User

To me, it is the quality. A perfect example of that for me is Animal Farm by George Orwell. It has been one of my favorites for quite awhile now. Less than a hundred pages, but I feel it is worth 10x more than most books I have read.

12. livens

livens Registered User

Hi AK,

Since you lost your buy list, you can have mine. I think most of these are from 2000+.

Iain M Bank's Culture novels and his 3 stand alone scifi novels.
    Greg Egan - Incandesence
    Alastair Reynold's - all of it
    Peter Hamilton - Great North Road
    Gary Gibson - Final Days
    M. John Harrison - Empty Space (the first too also if you dont have them
    Michael Flynn - The January Dancer, In the Lions Mouth, Up Jim River
    Chris Beckett - Dark Eden
    Eric Brown - Necropath
    James S.A Corey - Calibans War (the others in this trilogy as well)
    John C Write - The Hermetic Millenia (this is a big maybe, reviews are all over the place on him)
    Joe Haldeman - Camouflage

As others have said, there are many threads on here listing everyones wanted and favorites. I went through them and picked what sounded good to me.

And yes, backup your list next time!

13. Kazz Wylde

Kazz Wylde Rogue Warrior

I have some book lists somewhere, I always tried to take them when I hit a bookstore, because when I get there, its like I go brain dead and cannot think of the ones I want. I guess I need to start a new one. Yeah this site and the good book review blogs should get you what you need pretty quick.

14. Asimovking

Thanks. I added Dark Eden by Beckett and Light by Harrison.

15. chris777

chris777 Registered User

I know this thread is a year old, but I wanted somewhere to post this since it probably doesn't deserve it's own thread.

A week ago I lost my book document. It's an HTM file that contains what I've read, how I rated it, what I want to read, some various info and links etc. I update it pretty much weekly. I kept it in 3locations(thumb drive at work, desktop at home, and a web FTP that hosts the doc so I can share it via a website. You may have seen me post it before http://chris.phob.net/books.htm - it's currently in corrupt form). So last week I saved a new version, sent it to my desktop(overwrote the file), and uploaded to my FTP(overwrote file) before realizing it was corrupt and I basically just lost everything. Couldn't get a previous version, tried recovery apps. I've been in IT for 15years, there was no getting it back. It was dumb to overwrite those files w/out saving an "old" copy or versioning. I was able to find a version from back in Dec 2012 though. Had to edit quite a bit to get it near to what I had it before, I'm sure I am missing things still.

The main reason for me posting is to state what I am now doing with this file. GOOGLE DRIVE! It's amazing. You install this small sync tool onto your PC, select a folder, and it synchronizes and versions your file automatically. So when I make any change, it's automatically saved to google drive AND you can select the file details and see a version history in google drive. And that's not even the best part.
    https://googledrive.com/host/0B6E6Za3m4m2VVnZWTGtMVm9ta28
    It hosts the file for you!! It's like a free webhosting with LIVE updates. Since it sync's automatically, any change I make will be on this website automatically, and automatically versioned if I want to go back.

Just wanted to share that!

P.S. You can basically host a full website for free on googledrive.com. There is a couple steps you must preform to achieve the hosting. It's more about finding the correct URL to put in your browser, otherwise you just a plain text file of your doc. I will post directions if anyone is interested.