Inheritence Cycle

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Kloke, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Anthorn

Anthorn Registered User

But i bet you 5 pounds that by the end The elf woman will realise she loved the Author insert character Eragon by the end.

And i hated the dues ex machina part in book 2. With the naked dancing elves.
    I just found that in every twist and turn the author contradicted himself

Also, however bad we think the books are, he has finished them and got them published. He is a writer under twenty-five, he has written a series of books, they are coherent, they are on store shelves and a lot of people love them very much. I personally find that more than a little amazing, and I think that anyone else who has had a go at writing an extended piece will too.

I would too. IF he'd went to a proper publisher instead of his parents

2. MadPiper

MadPiper New Member

I was under the impression that his book was rejected by many publishers, and then his parents bailed him out with their company when he couldn't hack it on his own? Of course, I may be wrong.

I have never read the books, I looked at them, I realized what they were, and put them down. I did see the movie though, which in turn made me even happier I avoided the books.

As for Christopher Paolini... Personally, I think his legs should be tied to a horse and dragged across the streets while people pelt him with his own horrid books. That would make me feel like justice has been served. :D

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  3. Mock

Mock N/A

All the talk about how impressive simply getting published at 17 is -- I still think that can be negated by dreary writing and such lack of creativity. As Anthorn says, when it comes down to it Inheritance is poorly written and unoriginal.

I also think Chris -- I'm starting to wonder if Paolini deserves being referred to by his last name, seeing as, now that I've read 1200 pages of Christopher/Eragon's character, he is very familiar to me -- deliberately stretched out his narrative so it's extra long and epic. He's not the only author who thinks length equals intelligence. Some of the most elegant, brainy stories -- The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate comes to mind -- are 10,000 words long.

Mjolnir, there's a difference between traditional novels and thoroughly stolen, cliche-infested drivel.

4. Mara-Marie

Mara-Marie Too many thoughts!!!!

Okay First of all if you haven't read the book then you really have no place trashing the book or the writer. And anyone who watches movies based on books know's that they are rarely even recognisable as the same story line so you can't judge the book by the movie. I think that Christopher Paolini has made a decent first story and especially for being as young as he was when he made it. Yes it may be a bit of a repeat and same old same old but what isn't anymore. As was said everything new is comprised of parts of something old. Yes he was blunt about it but he's new. Give him some credit for trying to make something that he has a passion for. And because he did get so famous (no matter what the method) the younger generations below us will most likely read the Inheritance cycle before they read LOTR and others and therefore those will be repeats to them in the future. And if you really want to get picky about copying originals then you should go back and read the posts in this thread. Same complaints over and over in new word formations. We are all guilty of repeating and he got famous for it which is more than most of us can say. I enjoyed Eragon and Eldest and am looking forward to the next books. I may be the only one here who will say that but obviously I'm not the only person out there anticipating the release. They are decently written books, no not nearly the best but definatly not the worst, and I want to see what he can come up with as he ages and does get more experience.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  5. Fred Gallney

Fred Gallney The Writer of Fantasy

The point is, as was stated many times throughout this thread, Paolini grabbed nearly the entire plot line of Star Wars, and tweaked it here and there to try and make something original. He also took the names, and map of Lord of the Rings, and gave them little geographical makeovers, and name reformations, to try and win originality there.

Also, Paolini is trying to make up for his repetive plot nature by introducing a whole new evil guy in Book III - woooooooo - does anybody actually care since there were no hints in Book I or II - I think not.

There are many, many greater books than inheritance that are published and rejected, but whatever their class, they do not do nearly as well as Inheritance has. Which is sad in my opinion, because I consider Inheritance to be fantasy trash, not worthy of all the attention it has received. if Paolini had submitted Eragon to a proper publisher when he was around 30, his book would have been rejected, and the publishers would be gasping for breath, with sides burning from laughter after finishing Eragon. Then, they would leave work early and have a mmerry party to end their great day of reading a humorous but entirely trashy piece of work, which is none other than Eragon. Still, in that case, Paolini should still feel proud that his work brought so much laughter to the publishers.

6. mjolnir

mjolnir Registered User

Anthorn Wrote:
    But i bet you 5 pounds that by the end The elf woman will realise she loved the Author insert character Eragon by the end.

I grant you that this is entirely possible, and would finish off any shadow of originality the subplot had. Actually, the outcome you suggest, while depressing, might almost be kinder to those reading the series: Eldest's thwarted love scenes are truly criminally bad, some of the most ear-bleeding matter I've ever read in my life. I actually think that Paolini's going for a romance between Eragon and a different character, [watch me call his plot twists before they happen, ... again], but it's water under the bridge to all of us who don't care any more / never did. Be interesting from the perspective of studying the series, though, and yes I think it is worthy of examination in that regard simply because it's so popular. You don't get Eragon's sales numbers by accident; -- there's something in here that speaks very loudly to an awful lot of people.

Anthorn Wrote:
    And i hated the dues ex machina part in book 2. With the naked dancing elves. I just found that in every twist and turn the author contradicted himself

Oh ... oh ... I'd blocked that part out completely. Wow that was stupid. Those people who contend that Eragon is a Gary Stu who gets everything handed to him on a silver platter can base most of their argument off of this scene alone: He's humbled by the elves in sword-play, trains for half the blasted book, and is then handed the superhuman strength and grace of an elf for the price of nothing more than a night of dancing and song. So so very stupid.

Mad Piper Wrote:
    I was under the impression that his book was rejected by many publishers, and then his parents bailed him out with their company when he couldn't hack it on his own? Of course, I may be wrong.

I have never read the books, I looked at them, I realized what they were, and put them down. I did see the movie though, which in turn made me even happier I avoided the books.

Time to be slightly fair again I'm afraid. Paolini may have tried and failed to sell the book before his parents printed it -- I've no idea. However, they did print it, and as I understand it a very popular author's attention was drawn to it through his kid. He recommended it to his publisher. Still getting a fast track I know, but the professional publisher did take it on. And this ain't some small house either: this is Alfred K Knopf. I don't like the idea of vanity publishing so I still consider the whole parents publish book first thing to be a bit like cheatting, but we must consider that it did make its way to a major house. And then, more important still, the public spoke: The two books have passed the million copies printed mark a while back I believe. Brisingr is currently number 16 in book sales on amazon.com. Not teen books, folks, not preorder books, not books with weird names. All. Books. As I said above, a lot of people like these books. We can criticize them all we want, [which is good cuz I fully intend to continue to do so], but I think we have to be careful. Dismissing them completely, and saying that they are objectively trash of the worst most derivative kind starts sounding a little like, say, Harald Bloom's argument that the 13.5 million people who read Harry Potter are and shall remain objectively wrong in what they choose to read because he, Harald Bloom, doesn't like Harry Potter. And I never, ever, want to sound like that.

Imo they're still rubbish, though.
    ________
    Weed vaporizers

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  7. Anthorn

Anthorn Registered User

Im sorry to point it out again. THE FIRST publisher he went to were his parents who then published it.

8. Mock

Mock N/A

Wait, it just dawned on me. Isn't this series meant to be for kids?

If so, I think some of our arguments are nullified.

9. columbob

columbob Registered User

And look, it made them lots of money, as well as a very happy and successful son. That's not so bad now, is it? The only losers are the discerning readers who read the stuff, but the books do have plenty of fans.

10. Mock

Mock N/A

Count me as a loser. Despite my disdain, I will probably finish the reading. The writing is at times wretched, but it's light and easy and fairly exciting -- a good alternative to the other stuff.

And I am confident that Paolini has matured enough to improve his plot and his prose, to a degree.

11. Fred Gallney

Fred Gallney The Writer of Fantasy

That's why he named Book III - Brisingr.

It's embarrassing to tell that title to everyone. They look at you blankly. Paolini's already off to a bad start and "Brisingr" isn't even out yet.

12. Mara-Marie

Mara-Marie Too many thoughts!!!!

Yes it was written as a young adults book.

Just call me loser #2 because I agree with you Mage-.

13. LionessAzhure

LionessAzhure Registered User

loser #3 :p (along with the other millions who bought and read the books)

they're still fun to read despite faults:)

14. Mock

Mock N/A

Good point :mad:

15. Justin2209

Justin2209 Registered User

I have to admit that I'm fairly new to the fantasy genre. I have been a fan of general fantasy for a while if you consider I'm draw to movies, tv shows, and games with that feel. Only recently have I started to read fantasy. When I read Eragon, I enjoyed it. I feel the same way as you do Mage. It was in fact "light and easy and fairly exciting". I too will continue reading the series just to get the whole story. Thought I have expanded my reading pallet since I have read it and in no way feel like it's original or even well conceived, it is entertaining and that's pretty much why I read anything in the first place.

16. wolfbane19

wolfbane19 Registered User

I would like to say that it seems to me that originality is dead, all that is left is uniqueness. That being said, I thought Eragon was an appalling excuse for a book and it took me several attempts that spanned a few months to finish it. (I have a weird compulsion to finish something I start regardless of how bad it is) Even knowing how bad the first one was a friend convinced me to try the second one and I have to say it was a lot better, almost tolerable. With any luck the third one will have a similar jump in quality and will actually be decent.

17. Justin2209

I have to agree with you. The first book did seem extremely simple, especially for this genre. The second did get better and one can only hope the third will at least maintain and if all goes well, improve as well. I have a derivative of your problem in that I have to finish a series when I start it. :)

18. Garet Jax

Garet Jax Wishful writer of fantasy

I sure wish I had lots of money.

I think I'm off now to write The Ga Dinci Mode. It should be a fresh idea for y'all.

19. Anthorn

Anthorn Registered User

WHAT? you mean the second book where they all started talking like pirates and the purple prose got even more purple.

You think its a better book when it was basically consisting of Eragon winges and moans and shaves and OH An entire chapter on Ants That was the best chapter. And He also gets given Deus Ex machina, to make him uber strong because heaven forbid he actually earns it.

So you're wishing book3 will have an entire chapter of him either shaving or watching Ants or other animals.... And getting special powers because he's da chosen one. Pulease. At least Book one was readable, despite its blatent copying and deriativeness. Eldest was basically a brick and a chore.

20. Justin2209

Meh. Differing tastes for different people. That's the joy of fantasy. There is a book for everyone. I can see why those things could bother a reader. I'm not being critical in any way. Obviously they just didn't bother me as much as they did you.

Like I said a few posts up, "Thought I have expanded my reading pallet since I have read it and in no way feel like it's original or even well conceived, it is entertaining and that's pretty much why I read anything in the first place."

I have read much better books since I read them. Most of them were recommendations from this very forum. :)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008