Introduce yourself and say 'Hi'. This is the thread to say 'Hello' in (v2)!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Severn, Dec 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew Leon Hudson

Andrew Leon Hudson sf-icionado / horror-ator

Hello all,

I'm freshly made joinee, living in Madrid after leaving Yorkshire behind last summer but I haven't abandoned my love of sf and horror. I still don't speak much Spanish sadly... I'm self employed and write in my spare time, in the faint hope that these two things can become one in a glorious future of my own making.

Until then, I'm jobbing it. Hasta mañana!

2. wook-bot5000

wook-bot5000 Lord Ubergoat

Hello all!
    Cant wait to share in the love here!
    See you on the flip side!

3. Sudhish

Sudhish New Member

Hello People!

Hello all!
    This is Sudhish from India.
    Well, I stumbled on this website following a brilliant SF story by a friend of mine. As I read on, I realized that I have unearthed one helluva treasure of SF/Fantasy stories on the web. Browsing through all this, I too got an inspiration to build upon & complete an idea that was lingering in my mind for some time. So I completed my first ever work of fiction, and got it published here.
    The critic inside has lamented me a lot for my amateurish glitches & inconsistencies, so I decided put this in front of the real SF fans.
    So guys, throw on all those brickbats you have kept in safely for this very day, I'm here to oblige!
    Cheers!

4. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 Carbon-Based Biped

I thought i'd stop by and say hi after lurking for so long. Love the site, and I already have some of your recommendations on the way from Amazon.:D

5. JunkMonkey

JunkMonkey Registered User

Hi Nou,

Just thought I'd use my 100th post to say it's good to have the Laughing Cavalier on board.

6. Severn

Severn boss of several cats...

Welcome everyone :)

Glad to have you all here...

7. Kamakhya

Kamakhya Seeker of Stuff

Hi, Again

It's been way too long, so I am saying Hi again to old friends and new.

What can I say, I got sidetracked. I'm still an avid SF reader and have read some truly great books over the past few years, but I missed SFF.

It's great to see so many new faces and so many old friends. I'm so happy the forum is alive and well.

8. MermaidLover281

MermaidLover281 New Member

Hello

I'm new here. I like to read science fiction and fantasy. I also like to write short stories and stories.

GinnyFan :)

9. robmihu

robmihu Realms of Halflight

Hi. I've been a big reader forever (yes, even before I was born) and I'm getting into writing more now. I'm mostly into the more main-stream fantasy. Grew up with the classics. Not as much into melds of fantasy with SF or Urban, but maybe I just haven't picked up the right book.

10. Dayne

Dayne Registered User

Hello

I found this forum a couple of days ago, and I've become so interested that I've decided to register and say hi.

I mostly read Fantasy and Horror/Zombie novels, but I'm gradually trying to expand my collection and read books of other genres as well.

And this forum looks like a really good place to pick up a couple of recommendations. :)

11. NilsDesperandum

NilsDesperandum shire dweller

Another Newbie!

Hi to all! Just registered about 5 min's ago. Only just recently been broadbanded (at home anyway - will probably be able to get some genuine stuff done at work now!). My quiet time whilst family is out so thought i would see who was out there on my wavelength. Currently working my way through King's Dark Tower and prior to that the books of Alastair Reynolds and Richard Morgan (must have been in a hard SF phase). Also a fan of Adam Roberts - good high concept stuff cleverley written and, boy, does he seem to churn them out. All time favourite: Dune (don't know wether you guys think that's too predictable, but it just blew me away when i was in my teens and i find i have to keep returning to it). Looking forward to: the completion of Donaldson's Covenant saga - again, something i've read through two or three times. Also read quite a bit of historical fiction, military fiction and a few classics, so i like to think i'm quite varied (you may not agree). Anyway, enough babble or waffle or whatever you call it where you are. I'd be glad to converse (couldn't think of a cooler word there). No Dark Tower ending spoilers please - i'm almost there!!

12. iamliz

iamliz charmed

Hi, i found this site and i love it.I've always been a fan of fantasy, mostly vamps, weres and things like that, and i just love books in general.I've read some sci-fi but not a lot.Anyone have any suggestions?

13. NilsDesperandum

NilsDesperandum shire dweller

Hi iamliz!

So there is some life in this thread afterall. I was beginning to think I'd introduced myself in the wrong place!
    Here are some of my recommendations, none of which are particularly hard SF, and what i would consider decent cross-over novels from Fantasy:

On by Adam Roberts - good story with a good concept wherein the effects of gravity have been seriously disturbed and the backwards remnants of the human race cling precariously to ledges, fearful of a slip or a trip that could result in a neverending fall off the face of the world. Enjoyable and easy to get into.

Dune by Frank Herbert - massive book and a SF classic but it really is a fantasy epic st against a SF backdrop. One of those stories that gathers you up and sweeps you along, but it is intentionally complex with many different factions vying for wealth and power. Political intrigue, religion, war, romance and betrayal, it's all here. By the way, don't be put off by TV or movie adaptations you may have seen - neither of these formats is big enough to portray this novel succesfully.

A Matter for Men by David Gerrold - the Earth invaded by an alien ecosystem - this is War of the Worlds with attitude. It's told from a single point of view and is good fun as well as being a gripping book. Several sequels follow.

Involution Ocean by Bruce Stirling - remeniscent of Moby Dick this is a whaling adventure on a sea of dust at the bottom of a seventy mile deep crater on the alien world of Nullaqua. It's a short and charming book which you can fly through in a handful of days (or a single day without distractions).

Hope the above is of interest. ND

14. P.J. Wedgeworth

P.J. Wedgeworth New Member

Patrick Wedgeworth

Hello everyone! I am Patrick, a new author on this site. I am a bioengineering student and an aspiring writer and I am currently working on a Sci-fi Fantasy epic called Rise of the Guilds (prologue was just posted on this site. Any feedback would be appreciated!). A few of my hobbies aside from writing are studying physics and philosophy, running and practicing mixed martial arts. I look forward to learning from everybody

15. iamliz

iamliz charmed

Thanks, ND!

They all sound great.i love sci-fi movies but whenever i've tried to read one, their usually extremly long(not that i'm scared of long books)and while they're really good in some places, are really slow in others.

thanks again, liz

16. Miriamele

Miriamele Witch of the Woods

Hello to all of you, and welcome to sffworld. :)

Kamakhya, it's neat to see you here again...your funky geometrical avatar brings back memories of the "good old days" of sffworld. :D

17. Richard H. Fay

Richard H. Fay New Member

Hello SFFWorld forumites!

My name is Richard H. Fay. I am a speculative poet, writer, and artist. Which basically means I do it all - fantasy, science fiction, horror, and even some stuff that's a mixture of the three. I've had quite a few poems published in various on-line and print publications such as The Fifth Di..., Champagne Shivers, Aoife's Kiss, Hungur, Tales from the Moonlit Path, Niteblade, Scifaikuest, Sorcerous Signals, etc., etc., etc. I've also had artwork published in some of the above, as well as publications like The Willows and Flashing Swords. I've even been known to write an articel or two - my article "The Darker Side of Fairy Lore" appeared in the "Killer Holiday Issue" of the magazine Doorways.

When I'm not writing or drawing I am home-schooling my teenage daughter. I've been a home-educator for almost a decade now. However, there is light at the end of the tunnel - my daughter starts college this Fall. Yeah!

Let's see, what else might you want to know about me? I'm a medieval history and arms and armour buff. I'm also a huge Doctor Who fan. I'm also a huge fan of Tolkien's works - I feel that Tolkien's writings have had a great influence on my life. I'm also fascinated by myths, legends, and folklore - especially traditional fairy folklore. It's a subject that I utilize frequently in my own works.

In case you were wondering, I just happened to stumble across your site after seeing David Lee Summers' blog here. It's amazing what you can find when you follow links.

Well, I thinks that's enough about me for the moment.

Cheers!

18. 2fred

2fred Fool

Hello everyone,

I'm Fred. Obviously I'm interested in the the genres science fiction and fantasy. To be more exact or just dramatic, my entire being seems to be intwined with all genres that have fantastic, futuristic or supernatural elements in them... horror, medieval romance, mythology and fairy tales, and so on.

I obtained not too long ago my MA in English Literature and I devoted my thesis to the fantastic, the uncanny, and the supposedly mad women in the novels The Turn of the Screw, Lady Audley's Secret, and Rosemary's Baby. This probably is my only real achievement in life so far so therefore I felt the need to mention it. English is, as you may notice, not my native tongue.

As for the two genres first mentioned. For some reason or another, although I thoroughly enjoy watching sci-fi tv-series and films... I cannot read SF novels. I'm not sure whether this is due to lack of imagination or that sci-fi written out just seems boring to me. Ah well, no one is perfect.

Now that I have introduced myself in proper vague terms, the time has come view a few threads. Perhaps I'll see you there.

19. culainagain

culainagain New Member

dont be a dont be, be a do be

hi all

im not really new to here, as i joined years ago and iv obviously forgotten my password as i havent visited here in a long long time.

so im just saying hi again :)

My names mick, but people call me worse, and i enjoy reading david gemmell, robert jordan, raymond e feist, r a salvatore and.... thats it i think. I find it hard getting into new authors you see.

but anyway, thanks for the welcome and speak to ya soon :)

20. FremenWarrior

FremenWarrior The bird of Hermes

Hi not been joined for long,

found this website and really like it . gr8 place to discuss sci-fi and fantasy. FremenWarrior/FistOfTheDamned/Firefly101 (my internet Aliases) says hi to everyone
    :D
    sephiroth is cool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.