Introductions

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Wayne Batson, Jul 3, 2007.

1. tkdman13

tkdman13 New Member

oops I forgot to introduce myself

• Name or User Name
    Cody Harris

• Interests/Hobbies
    I have my black belt in Tae Kwon Do and am working towards 2 degree. I love to read and play video games.

• Have you read The Door Within Trilogy or not?
    I am almost done!

• Have you read Isle of Swords or not?
    Not yet

• Your "Gateway" book--ie, the fantasy book that ushered you into a love for the fantasy genre.
    The Hobbit and LOTR were my gateway.

• Anything else you want to share.
    I am a 12 year old (soon to be 13) Christian young man.

2. tkdman13

tkdman13 New Member

Movie

If the movie does go forward be sure to keep control so they do not ruin it like they did Eragon.

i collect books old, rare, and signed. Is there anyway for me to mail my first print copies to you and have you sign them?

3. Wayne Batson

Wayne Batson Tolkien Disciple

Either that or I could send you signed bookplate stickers. Email me and let me know. Batguy21784@yahoo.com

-WtB

4. galacticlord

galacticlord Registered User

• Name or User Name
    Galactic Overlord, but the messageboard wouldn't allow for enough letters, so it got shortened to Galacticlord for these forums.

• Interests/Hobbies
    Let's see, there's a few. I have a large collection of 80s/90s animated shows. I also collect comics (Star Trek, Star Wars, X-Men). I like to draw when I can. And writing, of course. :D

Read The Door Within, in the middle of Rise of the Wyrm Lord right now.

Negatory

• Your "Gateway" book--ie, the fantasy book that ushered you into a love for the fantasy genre.
    Kinda hard to pick "the book." The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe goes back all the way to Elementary School for me. I didn't read The Hobbit until I got to junior high. I think those two would qualify. Now, fantasy in general, that was probably helped by watching He-Man on the afternoon tube when yours truly was five. I think I really began to "get" fantasy after watching The Dark Crystal. I never really watched a "pure" fantasy movie before that, unless we count Star Wars.

Well, I self-published a book two years ago, and I understand why authors need editors. I misspelled pit "put" on one page. Needless to say, this book's getting a good revisin' now. :rolleyes:

5. fantastyfreak

fantastyfreak Total Dork

I love Dark Crystal! Oh it would be so awesome to see Peter Jackson make Door Within? It prob. would not happen, buy hey.. who knows? Just make sure the guy who did the Eragon movie goes nowhere near Door Within!

6. Wayne Batson

Galactic Overlord is in the HOUSE!

Welcome!

WtB

7. Pais Charos

Pais Charos Horse Nut

Hi Wayne! Hey, this will be easy, they use the same forum program that Bryan Davis uses for DIOM. Some of the controls are only slightly different, but for the most part the same. Coolness.

8. Pais Charos

Pais Charos Horse Nut

Sorry for the double post - I just saw that I have to fill this little doohickey out:

• Name or User Name: Pais Charos
    • Interests/Hobbies: Horses, Fantasy, Dragons In Our Midst, The Door Within, The Restorer, DragonKeeper Chronicles, The White Lion Chronicles, Inkheart trilogy/reading, riding horses, writing, crafts
    • Have you read The Door Within Trilogy or not? So far only the first book.
    • Have you read Isle of Swords or not? No, the stupid thing isn't even out yet!! :p
    • Your "Gateway" book--ie, the fantasy book that ushered you into a love for the fantasy genre.: Um ... uh ... I'm not sure, really. I've been a fantasy nut as long as I can remember *shrugs*
    • Anything else you want to share. : Can't think of anything at the moment. Sorry.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  9. fantastyfreak

fantastyfreak Total Dork

The same books that I love!

10. James Somers

James Somers author:chroniclesofsoone

JAMES SOMERS: Author of The Chronicles of Soone

• Name or User Name
    James Somers
    • Interests/Hobbies
    Preaching and Writing Christian Fantasy Novels
    Oh yeah, baby and theyz goood too!
    Waitin on it to arrive!
    The Hobbit: CARTOON & The Star Wars trilogy
    • Anything else you want to share.[/QUOTE]

"I'm the author of The Chronicles of Soone trilogy (book one-Heir to the King-is available on Amazon.com) and I'm the pastor of Grace Baptist Church in Harriman, TN. Thanks to WAYNE BATSON's wonderful review of my novel, I've had a real opportunity to see the books published beyond the small independent publishing realm. Wayne You're a blessing, bro!"

Blessings,
    James

11. Pais Charos

Pais Charos Horse Nut

Whoda thunk it? :p

12. Wayne Batson

Mannn, I love that old Hobbit cartoon. I mean the strange dude with the high falsetto voice singing all those songs was a little, er, odd. But I loved the depiction of Gandalf and Bilbo. But the voice of Smaug was the best. I love that line, "Well, thief, I feel you and I smell your air..."

13. Wayne Batson

Welcome FF and Pais! So glad to see you here, there, and everywhere. :eek: You folks ROCK.

14. Wayne Batson

Be on the lookout for James Somers and his Chronicles of Soone SciFi series. It's very good stuff. I was hooked right off. It's going to be BIG. Just remember, you heard it here first. :D

15. James Somers

Muchas Gracias, me amigo! I can't wait for Isle of Swords...Matey!

Gee I wander if falsetto guy from the HObbit has an album out?

It will be interesting to see if they ever get the Hobbit movie out. The dragon was definitely a cool character...that scene is one of the best.

I think one of the coolest scenes in the newer Star WArs was in episode III when Anakin is in the Jedi council chambers with the setting sun coming through and he's considering whether or not he should disobey Mace Windu and go to the Chancellors chambers.
    That cool (very un-star wars music) and the cuts between he and padme across the city as they sense one another is really creepy and made DArth Vader's betrayal seem so tragic.

people complained about the acting, but that was still a cool scene.

James

16. James Somers

The Chronicles of Soone series definitely needs what big publishing houses can do (great editing, promotion and distribution).

I'm grateful for the opportunity given me by Breakneck Books in publishing the first novel: Heir to the King...but you'll never find it in a bookstore except online (amazon) and others because of the lack of distribution most small independent publishers have.

I have to think the Lord is working something out in the order of events though...published with small independent, wayne reads it and gives great review, representation with Gregg and Bethany asks for the full manuscript...I hope I'm not dreaming that there appears to be a set progression in the order of events and God has been in control all the way.

James

17. Wayne Batson

There's no question that your story is publishable quality. The storyline, the characters, the suspense-building--all better than a lot of books out there. BUT the progression may be longer, or have more obstacles yet. Remembering that He is in control of the whole process is your key.

The hope is that the climate in publishing is changing such that a house like Bethany (who does great fiction) will be confident enough to contract SciFi. It's a risk that I think would pay off in many ways for all concerned.

:cool:

18. fantastyfreak

fantastyfreak Total Dork

Your series sounds good! Might need to add this when I order the Tales of the Otori prequel!

19. James Somers

It's certainly true that High fantasy has made the leap successfully to the Christian arena, but I've not seen much in the way of Sci-fi fantasy. Certainly there are some...but I go to the Christian bookstore and don't find them. There are a number of good Medieval fantasy series out right now, The Door Within (of course), Christopher Hopper's: White Lion Chronicles, Bryan DAvis: Dragons in the Midst, Karen Hancocks series and recently Sharon Hinck's: Sword of Lyric series.

I'm not sure what I could add to these, but I'm hoping to fill a void with Chronicles. They were just saying on FOX that Harry Potter has competition from Christians with WAyne's Door Within Trilogy...Amen to that. Chronicles of Soone, on the other hand could fill the void left by STAR WARS...because the style is there even if the story is different.

there are some voids out there folks...I was personally very glad to see that WAyne's next fantasy adventure is a high seas pirate story (Isle of Swords). With the success that WAyne has had with The Door Within, one might have expected him to recreate the same success in a similar type of story, but he didn't do that and that is bravery. People who like one might not like the other, but the need to explore new areas of imagination is compelling and I commend WAyne on going for it. It will be interesting to see how the industry moves with regard to Isle of Swords...if it is a success, then they'll be snapping up pirate stories probably (or as veggie tales would say: "Piratey things")

There are lots of places for our imaginations to take us as writers. We just have to be willing to explore them.:)

James

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  20. Outcastscribe

Outcastscribe New Member

Hullo

• Name or User Name

I'm delighted that the handle 'scribe' has stuck so well. That's what most people call me now, so feel free to do the same.

• Interests/Hobbies
    Writing though it's more like an obsession/calling. I write SciFi, Fantasy, and Science Fantasy. I dabble with art (I work with fabric, wood, paper, and even some metal) and usually turn to that when I'm stuck for words.

Yep and loved each one!

Yep and loved it too. :D Can you sense the smugness?

I think possibly either "A Wolf Story" by James Byron Huggins OR "Children in the Night" by Harold Myra

I love Ireland, I lived there for three months, and I would go back in a heartbeat. :cool: