Is Darkness that Comes Before Hardcover Worthy?/R. Scott Bakker

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Glelas, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Glelas

Glelas Seven Mary Four

Is Darkness that Comes Before Hardcover Worthy?

I rarely buy hardcover books. It is somewhat of a money issue but also I tend to enjoy reading paperback fantasy. There are some hardcovers I have and will buy. A Feast for Crows will be purchased Hardcover. Gardens of the Moon would have definitely been bought hardcover except I ordered the paperbacks from Amazon Canada months ago. I used to buy the WOT hardcovers when I was obsessed with the story. Needless to say I waited for Crossroads to come to Paperback and will wait for New Spring as well. So now I stare at The Darkness that Comes Before and I am tempted to purchase it hardcover and eventually get the whole series hardcover. Is it hardcover worthy? Does it or will it fall into the George RR Martin category of "most anticipated books" - at least for me?

2. Shevchyk

Shevchyk Banned

The One With The Brevity

Bakker's Darkness That Comes Before is out in paperback.

3. Nimea

Nimea Leisure time optimizer

Mass market paperback?

I don't know for sure, but I thought the mass market paperback is out in Canada, both in the US and UK it is hardcover (US) or trade paperback (UK) . . . ?

4. saintjon

saintjon Illustrious Gambler

Yes definitely it's worth hardcover. Someday I hope to have a hardcover copy signed by Bakker with his response to something I said on his forum about how sexy the penguin covers are (his response was that he caught himself staring at a TPB of The Warrior-Prophet and thinking this is what a stalker must feel like).

Anyways, I heard of one store in Canada that still has the first book in TPB, but mostly it's all paperback up here. I bet you could get one in paperback from amazon.ca, although IMO it's worth the best edition you can get it in.

5. Shevchyk

Shevchyk Banned

The One With The Franchiselettes

I think it's in MM. I can go to a local Chapters/Indigo and double-check for you, but I seem to recall seeing it in MM.

6. saintjon

yeah my copy of The Darkness That Comes Before is a mmpb that I purchased from an Indigo in Toronto a couple months ago.

7. Nimea

Nimea Leisure time optimizer

That would be nice, since I can only find the editions I posted when doing a search on the various amazon sites (.com/.co.uk/.de/.ca). Thanks!

8. Iskaral Pust

Iskaral Pust Registered User

It's not out in Mass market in the Uk yet, as far as I'm aware. I'd guess that probably applies to the rest of Europe as well.

9. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

The Darkness that Comes Before was recently released in the United States in Hardcover by Overlook press. And with a resounding yes, it is worth the Hardcover purchase. It is one of the most, if not THE most impressive debut novels I've ever read.

Hell, my Sffworld.com review is blurbed on the back of it for Heavan's Sake!!! (a first:))

10. saintjon

Are you blurbed on every edition Rob? That's awesome all the same. I want my copy back from my cousin for a second so I can check :D.

11. Rob B

AFAIK, only the US Edition published by Overlook Press. I reviewed the Canadian edition from Penguin and some time after my review of the book going live last year, Scott's book was published by Overlook.

Perhaps it is on the MMPB in Canada and the UK version, I don't know.

Here's the blurb that's on the book
    “I jokingly hesitate to truly call this a work of fantasy considering how absolutely convincing this novel reads as a historical account... Bakker… clamps his hand over yours and simply does not let go… Amid the cluttered shelves of the Epic Fantasy genre, Bakker is a name that stands out amongst, not just the new writers in the crowd, but established and recognized names."
    -sffworld.com

12. saintjon

Yeah I made sure and mentioned to him (as some other members here have as well) over at his forum that it was because of your promotion that I read the book.

I also read your review of the Warrior-Prophet when I was at the beginning of it (didn't need anyone to promote the book to me at that point however). Upon finishing I didn't feel beat over the head by Akka's struggle so much as Kellhus' infuriatingly effortless manipulations. The guy's a walking stranglehold on people's thoughts!

Oh man I'm derailing again, back to topic the Warrior-Prophet is worth the price of hardcover as well when you get around to it! haha alls well that ends well I guess.

13. Larry

Larry Vaguely Borgesian

Yes, it most certainly is worth a hardcover purchase. Like Rob, I also received a review copy from Penguin for the second and I agree totally with his sentiments (odd how we both posted reviews on our sites on June 20th). This is certainly an epic fantasy series worth reading.

In fact, Bakker himself is starting a contest to win a signed and personalized hardcover copy of TDTCB. I'll post details later. Sound cool?

14. Rob B

saintjon, thanks for the support! I didn't see Kellhus as efforts at manipulation infuriating, either.

Ald-post a link to your site/review.

15. Larry

Larry Vaguely Borgesian

Sure thing:

My wotmania review

And if you want to announce Scott's contest, here's the link to my portion of it.

Contest description

I think he's going to post something about it later on Three Seas.

Three Seas Forum

I just wasn't for sure if I should say much about it, not wanting to step on any toes by accident. But I do think it'd be something a lot of people here might be interested in doing.

16. Larry

Larry Vaguely Borgesian

17. Shevchyk

Shevchyk Banned

The One With The Evil Overlord

Incidentally, I went looking for the Encyclopedia of Fantasy today at a local Chapters. Instead I saw Bakker's book staring at me near the beginning of the fantasy section. And just a perpendicular wall away from the Catwoman novelization.

[Cue Evil Overlord Laughter]:

Muwahahahahahahahaha!

18. saintjon

Ouch man what a contest. I feel as if I barely have a handle on kellhus, much less the Holy Grail of the Logos.

Coincidentally Rob, how do you feel about Kellhus' treatment of those around him? It seems like there are a lot of different ways to interpret him, he had me even more jumbled than Covenant. My best attempt to pare him down to where I felt I could make a clear judgement about him is this: he may not do wrong by his standards, but he does do so by mine. I wish I had my copy of The Darkness handy so I could quote the Dunyain from the prologue, but I think he said something along the lines of, "Crimes will not go on so long as war exists, only as long as men are decieved." From that, based on Kellhus actions throughout the story, it seems like the few people he's willing to let in on the Dunyain lifestyle, he only offers enough to make himself a life raft in their misunderstanding. Furthermore, the way he set himself up in the second book, (want to stay vague because I don't want to have to put up a spoiler-warning) is a bald deceipt of those around him, given his hidden truth that religion is just another lie man perpetuates upon himself. So what it came down to was this, that I fail to see how being decieved by history and the trappings of culture is worse than being decieved by Kellhus. That and the only sort of compassion he has is when he wears it like your or I would wear a nice shirt. :)

Okay, off to think about how I define the Darkness That Comes Before.

19. Rob B

At the very least, Kellhus is somewhat conflicted. On one hand, I think Kellhus sees other people as tools, but he does see them as people. He wants people to go along with his beliefs, but in subtle manipulative manner.

20. Larry

Larry Vaguely Borgesian

I agree with the inner conflict Kellhus is experiencing. His bit toward the end of TWP reflecting on his father really was illumining.

But speaking of characters, I have to say that Cnaiür might be one of the more interesting fantasy characters I've read in years. I thought Bakker did a nice job explaining the significance of the Scylvendi arm scarring. Hopefully, more will be revealed about them in TTT next year.