Is Prince of Nothing really gritty?

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by proto-man, Jul 9, 2007.

1. thrinidir

thrinidir dw4rf

David Gemmell - Drenai Saga (Legend,...)

I'm sorry to hear you didn't like it. It's fast paced so I can see what bothered you if you like a lot of worldbuilding and history background (god, I thought I would never see a person who likes wordiness when judging authors so much :rolleyes:)...but it's a fun action packed read with likeable characters.

R.A.Salvatore - The Dark Elf Trilogy

Another legendary epic fantasy trilogy...Drizzit is an awesome char, and he is an elf besides ;) ...

Terry Brooks - Shannara Series

This is kind of LOTR "lite", which Terry admitted himself...

J V Jones - Book Of Words
    ect.

2. Bond

Bond Registered User

I find myself scratching my head and wondering "what was the drivel"? Personally I wouldn't think of exchanging my experience of reading the two original Dragonlance trilogies. Since we are far apart on that maybe that is one thing in favor of you taking the advice of others over mine.
    WOT is my favorite fantasy series. What do you think I'm going to say?

It is traditional epic on a scale you haven't seen before. It is suspenseful. It is funny. It has more eureka moments than you can shake a stick at. It also drives people absolutely batty when Jordan drops in 600 pages of filler involving imperious women inclining their heads, sniffing, adjusting their shawls, and fixing on their victims stares like awls. Mileage varies but despite all the complaints it is still one of the most popular series out there. It is likely that the majority of those b*tching about it are still going to pick up the next book. Does that make sense? Yes it does!

As for what you should do, there comes a point where you simply have to dive in and find out for yourself. So choose already and start reading.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  3. KatG

KatG The Bony Hand of Death Staff Member

No, you haven't provided enough details. :) You like adventure, you're willing to read YA fiction if it has battle scenes, you are okay with serious themes and graphic material except maybe not at the extreme edge. Basically you are describing the parameters of thousands of epic fantasy novels. You like some you've read and others not, with no common thread between them. You've read a few tie-in books, didn't like them, and have therefore denounced the whole field as worthless, a common prejudice.

All that being said, there's certainly no reason that you can't go through the Recommendation lists, check out linked threads that may offer something interesting and look for plots you like the sound of. But I'll give you your thread and people can make recommendations here. I don't know if they'll be new recommendations you haven't heard about on the Forum already, but you can see what you get. Since you seem to be willing to read widely, you're bound to find a few that work for you, including potentially the four that you have at the moment.

I know one problem I often have is that people are much more interested in telling me whether they liked the book or not and feel the writer is any good or not than they are in telling me what the hey the story is about. But whether people discuss writing skill or plot elements, you really can't know if an author's work is for you unless you try it. So perhaps it is best if you read Prince of Nothing, and then you can tell us whether you think it really is gritty or not. :)

4. Ranke Lidyek

Ranke Lidyek Guest

Actually, the dirty little secret is that Legend is not one of Gemmell's better novels. Though I prefer his focus to the standard fantasy novel that requires reams of exposition in place of "world-building". If you pay attention, Gemmell's novels can be quite rich. Though he is so versed in history that he often makes allusions to past cultures and events and allows the reader's mind to fill in the blanks.

His best book, for my money is Hero in the Shadows. I recommend the whole Waylander series as each of the three novels is better than the last. Winter Warriors is great as well. Though my favorites were the Jon Shannow books for some reason.

Sword in the Storm is also great.

I intensely disliked the WOT novels (thin plot and hackneyed character) and I'm laboring through LoLL by Lynch either (too smug). I really thought I'd love the Lynch book. I'm disappointed, really.

I keep hearing about John Marco, so I think he's my next stab at finding a writer I can latch onto.

Talion: Revenant by Michael Stackpole, to me, is an overlooked classic that no one mentions. Great book.

5. Severn

Severn boss of several cats...

Be careful with Marco - I read one book by him, The Eyes of God, and honestly I struggle to think of another book with such hackneyed characters, lacklustre writing, and a plot that just became, well, nonsensical. One of the rare few I actually turfed out into the bin. I, personally, can't understand the hype, at all. I think if you're looking for an intelligent great to latch onto - it won't be him.

6. Donteb84

Donteb84 Registered User

The Night Angel trilogy has some grittiness but also has some fun action and things. And ppl tell me its not as dark and gritty as Malazan,Fire and Ice,and Prince of Nothing. To me though, Farseer isn't gritty, but its certainly depressing. Poor little Fitz, damn i love that book, I cant wait to read the second, such great characters...

7. Mark Lawrence

Mark Lawrence The New ... MARK LAWRENCE

so I picked up The Darkness THat Comes Before in the parents' room at the children's hospital (been in most of a week with my youngest). I'm enjoying it so far - complex, clever fantasy with good prose. I'll even forgive the fantasy names with their circumflexs and umlauts. But I'd heard lots of times that Bakker is very 'dark'. I'm 250 pages in and haven't seen anything that I wouldn't see in half the fantasy books on the shelves. Does it get darker as you go? I don't need it to in order to enjoy it... Just curious given the reports.

8. Volkswirt

Volkswirt New Member

First post!
    I wish the very best for your child. Also, I want to thank you for Prince/King of Thorns. I finished the second book last night (kept me up very late) and consider the series one of my top 5.

If you continue reading The Darkness That Comes Before, you will undoubtedly encounter some things that wouldn't appear in other series (in terms of violence). The violence however, is not more frequent nor in a wholly different dimension from your own books. While Bakker's world is just a brutal place, the books do not get overly depressing or constantly let your one favourite character suffer. While it does get darker with the following books, the narrative improves a lot too. So the things you have enjoyed so far will get better/ more focused (prose, complexity).

To me, it is incredible imagining two of my favourite fantasy authors (Bakker's Second Apocalypse remains at the top) reading each other's work.

9. TheKid407

TheKid407 Registered User

I haven't read Prince of Nothing yet, but i have read the others and I just want to warn you that Malazan is a very intense, time consuming read. Erkison's writing is some of my favorite, but at times its like he wants to put the plot on hold and just introduce a bunch of new characters every book.

These characters are 95% dark/grimy/gritty/depressed characters so i think this might be right up your alley. The series is epic in every sense of the word, and its easy to lose hours at a time in these books. The world is violent and cruel. GotM is a top 3 book, so why not give that a try first and just see how you feel about it? This is my suggestion : )

10. Mark Lawrence

Mark Lawrence The New ... MARK LAWRENCE

Well I finished and enjoyed the book. I wouldn't though, if asked to describe it, reach for dark as my first adjective nor propose it as an important element in any deconstruction.

11. Rexington

Rexington Bookaholic

I am almost done with the Prince of Nothing series. It is excellently written. I am not enjoying it nearly as much as Malazan and many others. While I waited for the 3 book to arrive in the mail the first book to the Night Angel trilogy arrived. I read about 250 pages and I really liked it. Not as complex or as well written as PoN, however it has that lightness and simplicity that makes it fun to read. I put it in my Green Day category (not very good musicians who write songs that are fun to listen to). Other books/series in that category are anything by Terry Brooks and David Eddings. Also the Mistborn trilogy, RA Salvatore's Drizzt books, and the Death Gate Cycles.

12. Lordwalker

Lordwalker Registered User

Not sure if this is on topic or not but.......Has anyone tried the audiobook version of these? I noticed recently that they are available at audible.com and wondered if they are good (as an audiobook) or not.