Is there such a thing as a good zombie book?

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Danogzilla, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Seak

Seak and I like to party.

Thanks for that, nice review. I would definitely be curious to see if you think he's improved, but don't let me pick out what you read. :D (<--smily face which isn't showing up on my browser)

I can't get over that cover for The Croning, maybe on kindle then. I haven't read Caitlin Kiernan's novels and didn't know they were along those lines. Interesting, I'll have to check her out.

2. End Of Disc One

End Of Disc One Registered User

Dead Beat of the Dresden files is a freaking fantastic zombie book.

3. hawkeyye

hawkeyye Registered User

Try "Day by Day Armageddon" by JL Bourne. Two books out and a third coming in December. I personally loved these books. Good combo of survival, action, post-apoc world after Z-day.

4. Randy M.

Randy M. Registered User

Was I clear that the Barron and Kiernan were Lovecraftian, not that they were zombiferous?

Randy M.

5. upperhi

upperhi Registered User

I thought Raising Stony Mayhall (by Daryl Gregory) was a great book that happened to be about zombies. (and most of it from the POV of a zombie).

6. AuntiePam

AuntiePam Cranky old broad

Green Eyes by Lucius Shepard. It's out of print but there are used copies, cheap. No zombie hordes, just one tragic figure.

7. Seak

Yes, it was. Sorry for the delayed response. :-D

8. Seak

I've read some of Shepard's short work and it's been some of my favorite reads anywhere. I'll have to look into finding a copy of Green Eyes.

9. Kenneth2

Kenneth2 Published Novelist

I've never heard of a zombie book to begin with.

10. owlcroft

owlcroft Webmaster, Great SF&F

Re: Zone One by Colson Whitehead. I have not yet read it, but I have read other speculative fiction by Whitehead (The Intuitionist) and he is an excellent writer in all respects--prose, characterization, setting, perhaps less so as to plot (not unsatisfactory plots, just not much plot, period).

11. phil_geo

phil_geo Rat Thing

Yeah, I enjoyed the prose in Zone One, but after 75 pages and realizing that essentially nothing would ever happen, it became a little bit of a slog. However, I will add that his take on the apocalypse at the end was very original in several respects and I enjoyed the last chapter quite a bit. In fact, I would almost like him to write a sequel to expand on his ideas. However, I don't think he would actually cover the plot and exposition enough to satisfy my interest. Maybe if he let someone else write in his world?

12. heretics fork

heretics fork Curmudgeon

Read the first half of "Cell" by Stephen King. Then throw the book away. DO NOT...under ANY circumstances read the second half. You think you have what it takes to read the second half of that book, we all thought that. It's just not worth it.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  13. gljones

gljones Registered User

I'm wondering how the WW Z movie is going to be with Brad Pitt. The way the book is written as a narrative makes it un-filmable in my opinion. Typical Hollywood procedure is to use the book for name recognition, I assume the film will be absolutely nothing like the book. At any rate, as to the main topic of this thread, if somebody could pick one book for me to read, what would it be? My library has only one book in it for the zombie category, wwz.

14. AmethystOrator

AmethystOrator Registered User

I'd suggest looking into The Girl With All the Gifts by M. R. Carey aka Mike Carey. From Orbit, this is available now in the UK and will be out June 10th in the US. It's an expansion of the short story "Iphigenia In Aulis" from the "An Apple for the Creature" anthology. That was quite quite well done imho. I'd never been much for zombies, beyond a casual enjoyment of the Walking Dead comics, but the short story was an impressive eye opener and so I'd suggest giving the novel-length version a try.

15. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Registered User

I've found a few zombie books to be decent beach read type books. Here is what I found scrolling on my kindle and my impressions:

Slow Burn is currently a series of about 4 books, all cheap. Definitely has an original twist that helps, but overall nothing revolutionary.

I found the Remaining decentish, although I didn't go past the first book. Also cheap.

Feed I did not like.

Warm Bodies was ok at first. Thought the last part/ending was terrible - mysticism + the power of love and lets all sing together. If it had somehow ended totally differently, I might have liked the book.

Ex-Heroes I liked. In some ways that is the best zombie book I've read. However, as a super heroes + zombies novel, its totally different from the "serious" zombie novel.

16. DDCOrange

DDCOrange Registered User

Read the book and saw the movie and your speculations are dead on; the movie has almost nothing to do with the book (how can it at an hour and a half?) except the name and a lot of zombies. Naturally the book is much better though actually I could see it really working as a mini-series via HBO or Showtime.
    Honestly I haven't read a lot of zombie books but this one really stuck with me and I found that it appeals to a variety of people (provided you can get them to read it) even those who don't ordinarily like horror. It's well thought out and well written.