January 2011 Nominations Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Erfael, Dec 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erfael

Erfael Lemurs!!! Staff Member

Hi folks. I'd really like to get the SF book club going again. The last few times we tried to start it up, there was very little participation in the nominations or discussion process. Let's give it another test run here for the beginning of 2011.

So, let's have some nominations for a January 2011 book. Guidelines are as follows:

1. Should be a standalone or a first book in a series.
    2. Should be available new in US and UK markets.
    3. Should not have been selected as a BOTM before. Here's a books done so far thread: http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7745 I'll try to get in and update it in the next couple days. It's a little labor intensive, though, so forgive me if I'm slow on it.

After a book is nominated, if you're interested, feel free to second it...or third it, or fourth it. We'd like to see if more than one person is interested in a book. Please nominate only one book, but feel free to second another one or two. If there are enough nominations, we'll put up a poll to narrow down the field to a winner.

I'd like to get a bunch of nominations this week and have the poll up next week so we can have a few weeks lead time between the book being selected and the beginning of the discussion.

2. fluffy bunny

fluffy bunny Tasty or your money back! Staff Member

List updated but if I've missed any, let me know.

Looking down the list, I'm surprised we haven't discussed Frank Herbert's Dune or William Gibson's Neuromancer in a book club context. I'm up for rereading one of those if people want to discuss one of them and whether they feel they're still good books given the subsequent SF they've influenced.

3. Erfael

I'd be up for either of those. I definitely didn't love Neuromancer last time I read it, but it's short enough that I wouldn't mind doing it. I read Dune years and years ago, but have very fond memories of it, so wouldn't mind seeing how it has aged for me.

Side note: I see this thread was moved. Just out of curiosity, where was it? I had about 50 windows open at once earlier, so it's possible it was anywhere.

4. benjamin

benjamin Imagination is everything

Hello!

I would like to nominate "Stranger in a Strange Land" by Robert Heinlein.

Thanks!

5. Mike B

Mike B New Member

I'm new, but perhaps I still get a vote? ;)

I'd rather read something I've not read before, and I've read the three suggestions above. How about one of the following:

Frank Herbert - "Dosadi Experiment"
    Robert Heinlein - "The Cat Who Walks Through Walls" or "JOB: A Comedy of Justice"
    Jack McDevitt - "Infinity Beach"

Any of them appeal??

EDIT: I see I was supposed to nominate only one book, so I'll go for "The Dosadi Experiment" by Frank Herbert

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  6. Ropie

Ropie Member of the Monthâ„¢

Come on then - I'll second this!

7. kroeger

kroeger Active Member

I will second Dune by Frank Herbert.

8. DinK.MeekeR

DinK.MeekeR Registered User

I will second The Dosadi Experiment by Frank Herbert.. it's on my shelf but I haven't read it yet.

9. Mike B

Mike B New Member

OK, so we have 2 votes each for 3 different books. We need some more votes or nominations to come in or we have a stalemate!

10. Erfael

No, not so complicated as that. We have only have two authors with seconds. Let's not make it contentious this time around. Let's have Dune as our January book and Stranger in a Strange Land as our February book (taken in nomination order). That will get the new year started. We'll see what happens from there.

January 2011 book: Dune by Herbert
    February 2011 book: Stranger in a Strange Land by Heinlein

11. Ropie

Good idea, Erf. I read Dune fairly recently and could comment about how much I ---ed it forever :D Stranger in a Strange Land will be a new one for me so let's see how that goes..

12. Mike B

Mike B New Member

Wrong - there were three books with two votes each - the one you failed to mention was the only one I was interested in reading... so I'll skip this for a few months I guess

13. Colonel Worf

Colonel Worf Registered User

I will be participating. I haven't read Dune in 8-9 years; still my favorite. Never read Stranger.

14. Ropie

But as Erf said, there were only two authors with seconds, and he took an executive decision to get things moving here ;)

The Dosadi Experiment does not seem to be in print in the UK, which renders it obsolete for the purposes of the club, unfortunately

edit - my mistake; it is available from Amazon.co.uk.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  15. Colonel Worf

Don't be rude. The Dosadi Experiment is a sequel, anyway.

16. Mike B

Mike B New Member

No it isn't.

17. Colonel Worf

Yes, it is. Whipping Star. I've read both.

18. Erfael

In addition to all that other stuff other members had said, just want to mention that Fluffy B and I were talking about how to handle this thing with such a relatively low number of nominations and seconds. It did take me a few days to get the post published after we took stock. At the stock-taking time (I guess before Dec 17) there were only two books with nominations and seconds.

But everyone else is right: Publication in US and UK markets is a must. No sequels. Only one book by an author allowed per nominations round.

This sets us up through February. We haven't decided yet, as numbers seem to be pretty low here, whether we'll do another round of nominations for March or simply see who is actually discussing books and allow participants to select appropriate books for later months in the year. We'll see how many people show up for Dune.

19. Zathura2

Zathura2 Asimov fanatic

New here, but joined because of the Book Club, so I'll try and be a good contributor, lol.

*Edit* Sorry...so the decided book was Dune?

(I'm new to the forums and I couldn't actually find a place that said...."Dune is the book for Jan. 2010" lol)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  20. fluffy bunny

fluffy bunny Tasty or your money back! Staff Member

Welcome aboard.

Dune is the book for Jan 2011 - not all of us have the capability to travel back in time
    Stranger in A Strange Land is the book for Feb 2011

Can anyone look into finding some decent sf/horror combos for March nominations?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.