John Carter (of Mars)

Discussion in 'Other Media (TV/Film, Comics & Games)' started by JunkMonkey, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Hobbit

Hobbit Administrator Staff Member

I thought he was thinking recently? A generalisation, I know, but I take his point.

The story I was told was that 3D was 'made to happen', even though Stanton didn't really want it.

Don't think Stanton's the scapegoat here. With a better advertising campaign, it could've worked.

Mark

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  2. Triceratops

Triceratops Browser

I've got this one on my list because is such a mash-up of genres, or it appears that way. I'm not familiar with the John Carter series. Yes, I've had my head in the sand. I admit to loving Poul Anderson's Virgin Planet, a kind of SF tech meets swords tale.

chris

3. PeterWilliam

PeterWilliam Omnibus Prime

Yeah, I'm going to see this in an hour, or so. I've not read any Burroughs, so I've no expectations on the film. Honestly, I'm looking for mere fun with the 3D, and something reasonably entertaining. We'll see how it goes; I'll report back.

4. Hobbit

Hobbit Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Go, Pete! Be interested to read what you think.

Mark

5. Banger

Banger Staff

How recent? ET postdates Alien, while Rise of the Planet of the Apes was last year.

How many very recent, critically-acclaimed science fiction movies fit Anders's description? I'm having trouble coming up with any. The closest I can think of is District 9, and I'm not sure it's really what he is talking about.

6. PeterWilliam

PeterWilliam Omnibus Prime

I really liked it. Much of what I might say would merely echo tmso's comments from HERE and Anders' comments HERE.

Overall, I'd say very good and worth seeing. While not necessarily great, John Carter was far better than the box office receipts would lead one to suspect.

7. Westsiyeed

Westsiyeed The Fifth Dominion

I read an article today and it mentioned some of the causes of the box office failure is the use of unknown actors as the 2 main characters, and the uninspiring title.
    I want to see it, though.

8. saintjon

saintjon Illustrious Gambler

I don't think they did enough advertising ahead of time. Other than Junkmonkey's link I only heard anything about this movie like 2 weeks before release. Who can get motivated on that short of a notice to go see something with the economy being what it is?

9. Jennifer P

Jennifer P Registered User

I loved it. I seem to be in the minority, but I simply can't understand why it got so badly panned. Admittedly I haven't read the books so if anything got mangled, I missed it...but it was awesome.

As for the unknown actors - give me a break. They were great.

10. Banger

Banger Staff

The reviews seem very mixed - Rotten Tomatoes currently has it at 51% (thought the "top critics" were less kind - 35%).

There's an interesting defense of the movie (and attack against The Lorax!) here.

I was hopeful about this film given the source material, but I'm probably going to wait for dvd.

11. Gumboot

Gumboot lorcutus.tolere

Anyone interested in the death of this film (one of the greatest flops in cinema history, with Disney already announcing a staggering $200 million loss) should read this article:

http://www.vulture.com/2012/03/john-carter-doomed-by-first-trailer.html

The article begins:

The article is a really fascinating read, particularly for writers because this is a case of a film failing badly precisely because the filmmaker was so deeply dedicated to the original source material. The guts of it can be summed up with the following:

12. N. E. White

N. E. White tmso Staff Member

That is very interesting.

Since I knew nothing of the story or the movie, I went to it with absolutely no expectations, and I liked it for what it was - an romantic adventure story on Mars.

That's too bad, but does illuminate the importance of getting the marketing, or story message, right the first time.

13. FuzionFilmz

FuzionFilmz Registered User

I have yet to see the film but I am not so sure on the iconic nature of John Carter. I was/am an avid reader of SF but ERB was always associated with Tarzan. It was not until I read Heinlien's Number of the Beast did I discover the Carter series. Even now I do not consider them pillars of SF writing.

14. saintjon

saintjon Illustrious Gambler

If the director is also responsible for the Pixar ads then I can understand perfectly how things went horribly wrong. Pixar movies are great but the ads are almost universally horrible. Especially the first trailer. It's always some really dopy tease that does next to nothing to make you want to see the movie. Then you see the Pixar logo and it's like, well whatever obviously it's good in some way.

15. Luke_B

Luke_B Diamond Dog Staff Member

Well, I enjoyed it (saw it last night). I thought the bracketing in New York was a bit clumsy and I prefer my John Carter less angsty, but overall I enjoyed the look of the film and the sword-weilding shenanigans. For a long movie it whizzed by so I certainly wasn't bored. And Lynn Collins is very much a princess worth fighting for.

16. N. E. White

N. E. White tmso Staff Member

Right, which is so puzzling. It is not a bad movie. Not like the last one I saw which was so bad I can't even remember the name...the one with that MMA chick in it? I was ready to see some woman kick some butt, but the whole thing was soooooo bad that what little fighting there was was just stupid.

Right! Shenanigans is the perfect word! It was supposed to be fun and I thought they did a good job of that. The doogie creature was cute and funny. I snorted water through my nose when it keep outsmarting him when he jumped out of the den. :)

17. NeonKnight

NeonKnight Protector of the Realm

Have not seen it yet but I did hear a plausible theory on all the bad vibes around the film:

Seems as if it is all about internal politics and backstabbing. New studio boss at Disney does not want his predecessor to have a hit. Instead of recouping their huge investment in the film, new boss in town releases bad publicity and snarky comments, so the movie would flop. Compounded by the horrid title, on the theory that titles with "Mars" mentioned usually tank.

I thought the lead actor was from the hit TV show "Friday Night Lights"? Heard he has some acting chops from that show, so I think he is considered a rising star, and hardly unknown.

Looks like a practice session sword to me. Haven't been to sword fighting practice lately, but my recollection is the blades for practice are fairly dull...

18. Westsiyeed

Westsiyeed The Fifth Dominion

I watched this last night and thought it was good, but not great - maybe 3 out of 5 stars.

The visuals were fantastic and definitely one of the highlights, but some of the dialogue was very cliched and unoriginal, especially the sentimental stuff from the princess. Favourite "character" was the Woola the "dog" - very cool!

19. Pluvious

Pluvious Challenge Assumptions

Pretty bad movie. I had no expectations but was bored by it. Bad acting. The action was not interesting. Silly in a non-funny way. I'm not really picky either.

20. Triceratops

Triceratops Browser

Haven't seen it yet, but also heard the "ho-hum" reviews and opinions about it. Just when SFF needed a booster shot to help things along, we get something not so spectacular.

chris