June Fantasy Discussion Nominations

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Erfael, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Erfael

Erfael Lemurs!!! Staff Member

Hi all,

Time for some nominations for a June discussion book. Here's the "rules":

1. Everyone can nominate one book and second a reasonably small number of other books.
    2. Books must be available new in US and UK (I just check the two Amazons for this). They should also be in a format other than hardcover, so as to keep costs down.
    3. Books must be standalone or book 1 in a series (usually not a problem in SF).
    4. They can't have been book club books before. The list of previous discussions can be found in the book club forum...it's not quite up to date yet, but it's updated through 2009.

2. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

Since I just picked it up used, I'll nominate Necroscope by Brian Lumley.

Also, since I have it (in omnibus form), I'll nominate Elizabeth Moon's Sheepfarmer's Daughter.

I'll also nominate Graham Mcneil's Heldenhammer from Warhammer Fantasy, the first of The Sigmar Trilogy. The second in the sequence, Empire won the most recent David Gemmell Legend Award.

3. Bastard

Bastard Jack Bauer

Didn't we recently have Paksenarrion as a Book of the Month?

I'm going with a controversial nomination this time to see if I force myself to give it a shot:

The Law of Nines by the one and only Terry Goodkind

Just in time to get into the mood of The Omen Machine coming up.

4. Erfael

I don't have strong opinions about Rob's nominations one way or the other (simply because I'm not familiar with the books), but we did do the Moon a while back.

I don't think I'll be seconding the Goodkind. Probably wouldn't even make an effort to read it if it did get selected....

5. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

How about Shadow's Son by our own resident Jon Sprunk?

6. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

7. Bastard

Bastard Jack Bauer

Shadow's Son seems like a good idea, but I question the benefit since I think many here have read it already. But with the sequel coming up in June it might be nice timing.

Looking at my bookshelves to see if I find something to suggest, but having a tough time of it.

The one I would bring forward is Secrets of the Sands by Leona Wisoker, but being from a small press I question if it's worth mentioning considering that the paperback are $13+. But it's a book I enjoyed last year quite a bit, author debut. Sequel came out recently.

Others I have pending that I want to give a look but haven't motivated myself to is Drowning City by Amanda Downum and The Crown of the Blood by Gav Thorpe.

What about some Urban Fantasy? I just got myself Vegas Knights by Matt Forbeck and it sounds like fun. Getting mixed reviews, and the bad reviews seem to be because of a bad tagline "Harry Potter meets Ocean's Eleven" and the book not meeting that description/expectations.

@Rob, I was actually half joking. But I really want to check it out. I'm one of the few that enjoyed SoT, but I know no one here is interested in it.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  8. Erfael

Actually, I'd be up for the Wisoker. It's been on my radar for while, and this would give me a reason to go for it.

9. NickeeCoco

NickeeCoco Reader Staff Member

I'm nominating this one because I just bought it:

The One Hundred Thousand Kingdoms - J. K. Nesmin

10. Eventine

Eventine Uh, Staff Member

I'm sorted of interested in Vegas Knights, but have a bad feeling it'd read like a poor man's Last Call.

11. Carlyle Clark

Carlyle Clark Registered User

I second this nomination even though I already read it. It was throughly enjoyable and a fresh take on Epic fantasy. I will also tactfully clarify that her name is N.K. Jemisin.

And I nominate THE POISON THRONE by Celine Kienran, which I am always right about to buy when a new Bakker, or Abercrombie, or Malazan pops up.

12. Erfael

Where are we here folks? So far we have three books that have shown a little interest with nothing really exciting more than one or two people. Anyone holding out on us, or should I post a vote between a few of these?

13. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

I suppose it's Point 3 that's causing issues, Erfael. In the coming months, it's (Almost) nothing but sequels, or at least seems that way.

I've got a bunch of books I'd be willing to discuss, but as I'm quite behind with reading everything, my suggestions generally won't work. I'll list what I'd be willing to read, though.

1. The Sentinel Mage - Emily Gee
    2. Legacies - L.E. Modesitt, Jr.
    3. Graceling - Kristin Cashore
    4. The Summoner - Gail Z. Martin
    5. Elantris - Brandon Sanderson
    6. Shadow's Son - Jon Sprunk

I can't think of anything else, and no doubt most of them have been discussed already.

14. Carlyle Clark

Carlyle Clark Registered User

I'll second SHADOW'S SON, it looks good,

I'll also second Elantris because I only read it a little while ago so it's still fresh.

15. Bastard

Bastard Jack Bauer

I wouldn't mind The Sentinel Mage by Emily Gee as I have it already.

16. Haliax

Haliax Registered User

I'll second Hundred Thousand Kingdoms. I remember there was some talk of doing it a few months ago but for some reason it got put aside.

17. Sipwood

Sipwood Registered User

Having just checked out the description on Amazon I will second Vegas Knights, it sounds like fun.

and who wrote Last Call? A quick amazon search revealed some VERY interesting novels which I assume are not the ones you are referring to...

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  18. Erfael

Last Call is Tim Powers...

Looking through the thread to see how many have mentioned which books....great to see so many nominating this month...hope it carries over into the discussions...

19. Erfael

20. B T Stack

B T Stack Registered User

I vote also vote for this book. Just bought it and haven' started it yet. This would give me much needed motivation to do just that.

BTS