Just started Mistborn

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by chris777, Oct 10, 2012.

1. MattNY

MattNY Registered User

Not really a problem, that is completely up to you. But a lot is revealed in the third book that changes some perspectives of the first book. So for those that have finished the series, they will see some of the items you mentioned a bit differently.

2. azninvasion99

azninvasion99 Registered User

For me, the reveals in books 2 and 3 made the series as a whole better and it made more sense.

3. G.L. Lathian

G.L. Lathian G.L. Lathian

You guys are making me want to read on!

4. sullivan_riyria

sullivan_riyria Creator of Worlds

Haha...no worries. I personally really liked the way Mistborn starts out. Very strong fast-paced beginning. I think you will enjoy.

5. chris777

chris777 Registered User

Obviously it'd be a spoiler if you answered me. But it appears pretty obvious that the Monologue before each chapter is the "Lord Ruler" talking. He started out as being a good person and things just started getting worse and worse. And/Or possibly the person that committed the deeds to become the Lord Ruler isn't necessarily the evil person acting as Lord Ruler right now?

6. MattNY

MattNY Registered User

We shall see :p

7. Rulkez

Rulkez Registered User

Finished the series 2-3 days ago. It may not be great writing, but it was entertaining as hell.

A massive thumbs up from me.

8. Pluvious

Pluvious Challenge Assumptions

Because his writing was not overly complicated and the dialogue "light" at times I assumed I knew where certain plot twists were going. I was surprised nearly every time though...which is very rare for me.

9. chris777

chris777 Registered User

Cool. I am much the same. I personally believe it comes from reading/watching too much. So many movies and TV shows surprise people the same way. That when they introduce something mysterious there is only a few logical conclusions if they wish to surprise people. Which are normally not a surprise at all to anyone paying attention. A good example was Shutter Island. I turned to my wife 12minutes into the movie and said "I bet he's the 13th patient and this isn't what he thinks it is..." (or w/e # it was) I'm sure I'm no genius for figuring that out. Should I have spoiler'd that comment?

Anyways, I am almost done with book and have been somewhat surprised a few times. I like it so far. I like the logical magic. Coming from Malazan it's a breath of fresh air. I do wish they
    didn't kill Kelsier off.
    Judging from the next two book's titles and the way this one is going. My guess is he didn't exactly defeat the deepness, he probably just absorbed it. He's talking like he's afraid he will take the power for himself. Or he is the deepness incarnate? Anyways I also assumed either Vin or Kelsier was the true Hero of Ages. Something probably happens in the next book that makes Vin really powerful. At the Well of Ascension? Where now it is amazing that Kelsier could defeat one steel inquisitor, Vin at some point probably fights 3-4 at once or something(Kind of like The Matrix). There is also something to her trying to burn Saze's pewter metal. They wouldn't have mentioned it and had her try it, only to fail quickly. She can break a copper cloud, she can likely break a Keeper's metal. Lastly, for now, I believe there is a reason the skaa are so beaten down. The noble let live. We assume that the Noble are the only ones to have this Mistborn power. I can't quite figure it out, but there's something about the skaa. Maybe the instill this fear of the mist because the skaa can have power through it somehow? Vin mentions she feels like she is one w/the mist sometimes....because she is skaa/noble mixbreed mistborn? Am I close on any of these!? =)

Almost immediately after I said I bet the monologue is the Lord Rule they discovered a book that confirmed it, so I don't think he was trying to hide it much.

10. MattNY

MattNY Registered User

Chris, this is in response to your statement in your spoiler, so feel free to read now.
    I feel it was necessary. Keiser's role was to develop all the characters into the roles they need to play and he accomplished it beautifully. From an author POV, if Keiser was still around, he would be handicapping the rest of the crew. I loved his character too, but he had to go. And it was a fantastic way to do so. It was like ObiWan sacrificing himself to Vader to push Luke where he needed to go..except handled even better.

I am not going to comment either way on any of these, but I will say that your logic on a lot of them is quite sound. It will be interesting to see your take on them as you finish up the series.

Sometimes the best place to hide answers is in plain sight.

11. chris777

chris777 Registered User

So I just finished the book. I was pretty dang close. Going to start Book2 tomorrow!

12. chris777

chris777 Registered User

Want to add my one confusion here. How was the Lord Ruler able to take being burned alive, decapitated, spears through the chest, and other fatal injuries with not even a flinch. But dies of old age after his bracers were removed? One would assume if you were capable of dying of old age, you are capable of dying from decapitation or anything else.... I must be missing something!

13. End Of Disc One

End Of Disc One Registered User

IIRC he had a bunch of Feruchemical health stored up so he could heal himself very quickly. I don't remember him being decapitated but maybe he was.

14. chris777

chris777 Registered User

Lord Ruler says:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  15. Pluvious

Pluvious Challenge Assumptions

You're somewhat close on a couple, kind of right on one (but its not really a secret), and off on the rest. But you're looking at some of the right clues (burning metals, what is the deepness, etc).

16. MattNY

MattNY Registered User

Not really missing anything. I have an answer, which I will put in spoilers. You may want to finish the series before checking it out, though at the same time, I don't think it really spoils much of anything. But finishing the series gives you a deeper insight into the importance of atium along with understanding the true natures of Allomancer and Feruchemy.

*Some* of the stories of his potential demise seems to be a little exaggerated. It is not believed he was completely decapitated. Likely, he was able to use his goldmines before it was completed and heal himself. As for the other injuries, he would be able to use his stores to keep himself from death. However, when he was separated from his metalminds, the reverse effect of his delaying age caught up to him and killed him on the spot.

17. chris777

chris777 Registered User

Well I just finished the second book. Pretty good. I did NOT expect that. Great twist!
    I always had a feeling that Rashek was simply misunderstood. That he meant well, just didn't execute correctly. I even think all the oppression and executions had a noble ulterior motive. It was meant to keep him in charge so he could continue to keep the evil thing at bay. Was Marsh there to try and stop Vin, so she wouldn't do what she did? Are the Inquisitors really acting in the name of "good". This may be a stretch, but did they kill all the Keepers just so that religion would stop and that thing wouldn't get released? Did the Lord Ruler banish religions because of that Evil being manipulating them? It appears so now...everything is very meticulous.

Haven't started book3 yet. But I am a little disappointed that this is the last book.

18. azninvasion99

You shall get the answers to most, if not all your questions in book 3. Sanderson didn't leave many questions unanswered, its a great book to wrap up the trilogy.

19. Rulkez

Rulkez Registered User

Last book in that cycle, the series is intended to be a trilogy of trilogies.

The stand alone Alloy of Law is also worth a read, and I believe may even be getting a sequel.

20. azninvasion99

It is getting a sequel, I don't think Sanderson is going to write it though until he has a couple Stormlight books done since he has fallen behind on it due to WoT.