K.J. Parker

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Vladimir, Mar 30, 2004.

1. PeterWilliam

PeterWilliam Omnibus Prime

Review of Devices and Desires:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  2. PeterWilliam

Review of Evil for Evil:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  3. algernoninc

algernoninc Now I'm an axolotl

Peter, I like your reviews, and respect the effort you put in them, but the small font is extremely annoying and difficult to read.
    Can't you please do something about it?

4. PeterWilliam

My apologies. One of the things that can short-circuit my limited attention span is long posts. Thus, I assume everyone else isn't keen on seeing them either.

Or it is perhaps a subconscious concern over wasting too much e-paper. :eek:

5. algernoninc

algernoninc Now I'm an axolotl

thank you
    keep 'em coming

6. Bastard

Bastard Jack Bauer

Well, it doesn't make it actually shorter... just harder to read. So yeah, I'd say no to the small font.

As for Parker, I only have his/her The Folding Knife. Don't know when I'll get to it. I'm keeping an eye on the other trilogies that have already been released, but it'll be a long while before I get to them.

7. PeterWilliam

My take on The Escapement:

8. Whitleyrr

Whitleyrr Named Man

The only Parker book I've read was Sharps, which I liked very much. I have Devices and Desires but have not yet picked it up.

But that's not the point. The point is, in church (Episcopal) this morning while saying the confession, i noted we said the phrase we have followed too much the devices and desires of our own hearts...

I don't know if that phrase in particular calls to mind the themes of the first Engineer Trilogy book or not. Perhaps, whoever Parker actually is, they are familiar with the Anglican/Episcopalian liturgy. I am likely the only one interested in that...

9. Hobbit

Hobbit Administrator Staff Member

I feel fairly confident in saying the usage is deliberate, Whitleyrr: good call!

10. Whitleyrr

Whitleyrr Named Man

Now, if it's the inscription on the inside cover, I'm going to feel pretty silly.

11. Bren18

Bren18 Maine Pro Disc Golf

Juts grabbed Sharps based on the voters poll - really looking forward to it.

"We" did determine that Parker is a woman?

12. Bren18

Bren18 Maine Pro Disc Golf

Juts grabbed Sharps based on the voters poll - really looking forward to it.

"We" did determine that Parker is a woman?

13. molybdenum

molybdenum Analyze That

It hasn't been determined that Parker is a woman. I think that's the generally held viewpoint at this time, but there isn't a whole lot of evidence to back that up.

This is complete and utter speculation, but I think it is possible that Parker is a man who hides his identity to prevent being accused of misogyny. From the books I've read the depiction of women is not pretty, but I still think that would be a wrongful accusation. It's more one of the themes that Parker works with in his/her books.

14. Skynjay

Skynjay What have we learned?

I am firmly convinced that KJ Parker is Kim Holt, wife to Tom Holt (this is not my idea, I first saw it here, but have seen it advanced a few other places as well.).

15. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

The evidence supporting it is that KJ Parker said they were a woman in an early interview, and talked at length about being a tomboy who preferred playing with fake swords to playing with dolls. The person saying, "Yeah, I'm a woman," does count as pretty strong evidence IMO ;)

As for the misogyny, I don't think that's quite the case. First off, Parker doesn't treat anyone (male or female) well in their books. Secondly, her first work was The Fencer Trilogy, which didn't have this issue at all. The female characters in that were pretty strong.