King, Prince & Emperor of Thorns Series by Mark Lawrence

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Werthead, May 12, 2011.

1. Contrarius

Contrarius You talkin' to me??

Yee haw!

Even though we had to wait months after publication in order to get Prince of Thorns in audio, the audio of King of Thorns has already been released just two days ago. I have just purchased it from Audible. I am smiling. :)

2. StoneBurner

StoneBurner Registered User

King of Thorns was as good as the first one.

Lawrence pulls off the whole "future as the fantasy world's past" routine far better than Robert Jordan or Terry Goodkind. Typically, I hate the conceit, but it appears to have a narrative reason, and provides amusing comedy at times (like the Kobayashi Maru reference).

3. Wilson Geiger

Wilson Geiger Greymane

Started reading King yesterday. So far so good. :)

4. Tim Marquitz

Tim Marquitz Registered User

Just finished it last night. I really enjoyed it, but I'm not going to lie, the Katherine threads threw me a little. I had to shift gears each time it popped up because she's so narratively different than Jorg. The prose, however, was wonderful with solid characterization throughout, which made KoT a joy to read. It was fun to see the storylines (past and present) work their way together.

And because I know he's lurking, excellent story, Mark. :)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  5. Jop

Jop The Wandering Eye

I'm looking forward to picking up my copy, however when I checked it out on Amazon for my iPad, I was surprised to learn that it is cheaper to buy a new hardcover than it is to buy the eBook version (by $2). As I much prefer paper to electronic (despite the conveniences of electronic - they don't look as good on a real bookshelf:p ), I think that is the route I will go. Of course that means I will have to buy a hard copy of PoT now...

6. Danogzilla

Danogzilla Couch Commander

Got my hardcover in the mail. It will sit smartly next to my hardcover of PoT in my bookshelves. Cool cover art.

7. Mark Lawrence

Mark Lawrence The New ... MARK LAWRENCE

I've got Jason Chan to agree to release the book 3 cover art 'as it happens' from initial sketches to final product! So if the publisher agrees we'll get to see the birth of a cover. Should be interesting - I really like Jason's work and always wanted to be able to draw, so it'll be cool to see how it evolves.

8. Contrarius

Contrarius You talkin' to me??

That will be fun. These remain some of my favorite fantasy covers. :)

9. Redpred

Redpred Registered User

Got this ready to go (purchased from Kindle store) but since my Kindle got smashed on hols in France last week i'm stuck reading on my phone (s3 so at least the screen is somewhat big) till I source a new one (working in Taiwan so not as easy as just ordering another online :( ). Once I finish the Heroes by J.A going to re-read Prince and then straight into King, looking forward to the continuation of the story, hope it does even better than the last book for you Mark!

10. Wilson Geiger

Wilson Geiger Greymane

Just got started on the Kindle version, all good so far Mark! Will post thoughts after I devou- I mean, finish the book.

11. Malthar

Malthar Reek rhymes with geek

Finished KoT last week.

I thought it was very good, with an interesting device (plot and physical) to help bridge 2 different timelines. Jorg is less odious than from my perception of PoT, but still cagey and brutal when needed.

Neither of the next 2 books in my to-read list have no chance of grabbing my attention as much. Well done Mark.

12. Malthar

Malthar Reek rhymes with geek

I agree it works well, and it's distant enough that you can forget at times, until some book or artefact reminds you.

It's like a more serious version of Thundarr the Barbarian.

13. PeteMC

PeteMC @PeteMC666

I picked up PoT in a second-hand shop a couple of weeks ago and killed it in two days flat, I thought it was brilliant! I'm deliberately not reading this thread for fear of spoilers but can I take it that the second one has come out now?

14. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Yup. I saw in in Smiths and it's roughly twice as thick as the first, too.

15. PeteMC

PeteMC @PeteMC666

Nice one, thanks

16. Mark Lawrence

Whilst I would have liked my 8% of the sale price I can't tell you how pleased this little story made me! I spent chunks my early teens raiding endless 2nd hand bookshops, hunting down Michael Moorcock's work in the main & loving it. And eventually I bought his hardcover new releases as they came out :D

17. PeteMC

PeteMC @PeteMC666

I see what you did there :D

I'm in my 40s btw, I just still like second hand bookshops...

Seriously mate, excellent job.

18. Mark Lawrence

I'm also in my 40s and also still a fan of 2nd hand bookshops. I bought most of the Dark Tower series that way, then got the last 2 new, and several of the graphic novels new at vast expense - so I did all right by Mr King in the end :)

Very glad you liked it!

19. Haliax

Haliax Registered User

My copy of King of Thorns arrived today. Not sure when I'll get to it, but I really like the cover. Too many books coming out right now that I want to read, on top of my already existing to read pile.

20. jojo2345

jojo2345 New Member

I really liked Prince of thorns and King of thorns was just as good. Best books I've read recently. The only problem is having to wait a whole year for the last book.

Does anybody know similar books with the same kind of ruthless main character to keep me waiting?