King, Prince & Emperor of Thorns Series by Mark Lawrence

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Werthead, May 12, 2011.

1. Twinner

Twinner Registered User

Does anyone know if this novel will be release in an audio format? Having that as an option is worth the cost to me and really moves a book up my 'things to 'read'" list since I have been driving so much.
    Thanks!

2. Contrarius

Contrarius You talkin' to me??

I am eagerly awaiting an audio release myself. In the meantime, though, I can heartily recommend the First Law trilogy with Steven Pacey narrating. It's a GREAT pairing of book with narrator. :)

3. Twinner

Twinner Registered User

Thanks... I already listened to the First Law series as well as Best Served Cold and The Heroes. I spend more $ on Audio books than I do on print these days.
    The reader makes or breaks them though. Roy Dotrice is who I want reading all my fantasy novels to me... but you are right Pacey was excellent.
    Looking forward to it, but I never know what books will be released in audio... some are and some are not.

4. PeterWilliam

PeterWilliam Omnibus Prime

A couple of 'teammates' of mine, from elsewhere, rated this book rather highly. I was content to merely let it go at that. Now after all of this, the burr is beneath the saddle. I had nearly convinced myself that it was a book that I didn't "have to have."

5. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Agreed. I can see Contrarius' points, and appreciate some of them, but the book still did nothing for me.

6. Seli

Seli Registered User

I like to read negative reviews of books. People seem to be better at times at explaining what they do not like than at explaining what they do like.

I can decide for myself if the points they bring to bear are important for me.

7. Contrarius

And that's fine. If the book did nothing for you, then by all means lay out the points that don't work. But IMHO the flippancy and ridiculing tone of your review were entirely uncalled for, and quite offensive. And as Ornery Wyvern noted, "a great many of (your) criticisms could be levelled at almost every fantasy I've ever read; and that I could make events from some of the most beloved fantasy novels sound faintly ludicrous by employing a number of (your) review's tactics. "

If you want to have a productive discussion of a book, then write a civil and thoughtful review of it -- either positive or negative. But if you just want to have some fun and do a hatchet job, IMHO this isn't the place for it.

8. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

You make it sound as if I constructed and planned a highly negative review. I didn't orchestrate it. I wrote it as things came into my head and that was it.

It wasn't a "proper" review, it wasn't done for SFFWorld, it wasn't done as a staff member of SFFWorld. It was my 'review' that consisted of my thoughts at the time. Was I a bit harsh? Maybe. Did I enjoy it? Perhaps a little more than stated in my review. Did the good overshadow the bad for me? No, not in the slightest. I had multiple problems with the book, and my 'lack of attention' (As you put it) was due to me not particularly enjoying the book nor caring for half of what happened. I thought it wasn't brilliantly written (I mean no offence to Mark there; I sometimes struggle with certain writing styles) and that affected my ability to comprehend and enjoy the book.

Ok? I struggled with it, I didn't enjoy it that much, and I wrote my honest thoughts down in no real review structure. It was an organic, flowing steam of cognition.

9. Contrarius

The first rule of netiquette:

"Rule 1: Remember the human

The golden rule your parents and your kindergarten teacher taught you was pretty simple: Do unto others as you'd have others do unto you. Imagine how you'd feel if you were in the other person's shoes. Stand up for yourself, but try not to hurt people's feelings. "

Core Rules of Netiquette

A quick review of those core rules might just possibly help to avoid problems in the future....

10. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

Contrarious, Loerwyn, end it please. You've both stated your opinions and anything more has been finger pointing.

11. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Gladly, Rob.

12. chokipokilo

chokipokilo Unreasonable reasoner

Is this book standalone or are there planned sequels? I skimmed the thread but didn't notice anything. I'm really interested but very much opposed to beginning incomplete series and having to wait for new books then reread the series to get caught up again.

13. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

It's book one of a series, but I couldn't say how long it is.

14. chokipokilo

Yea I just looked at a picture of the cover...answered that question.

15. Contrarius

It's gonna be a trilogy. :)

16. Mark Lawrence

Mark Lawrence The New ... MARK LAWRENCE

Heya - the book was conceived as a standalone and reads as such. It is however now part of a trilogy. The trilogy is written. It will only ever be a trilogy. As I understand it the publishers plan to release one a year.

17. chokipokilo

Good to know it'll definitely be finished, but it'll definitely be a while before I get to it. Abercrombie, Abraham, Moorcock, Elliot, Wurts/Feist, Berg, Williams, Parker, Hobb and Erickson are all standing in the way with finished series, plus I have to reread ASoIaF and Sword of Shadows at some point.

But assuming the reviews remain positive I'll pick it up eventually.

18. Mark Lawrence

Mark Lawrence The New ... MARK LAWRENCE

Heh - we have similar to-do lists! Except I've read plenty of Moorcock & Hobb & the Wurts+Feist trilogy (all very good).

Just to reiterate: it's not a case of 'will be finished' - it is finished (bar some publisher editing), it's just not published. If I lose an argument with a bus tomorrow, my widow will ensure (by dint of emailing in the files) that the full story makes print.

In any case, sounds like you have plenty to occupy you. We'll continue this conversation from our retirement homes :)

19. Tim Marquitz

Tim Marquitz Registered User

I'm a little ways into PoT, and am enjoying it so far. Entertaining.

20. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

I finished this about an hour ago, after starting it yesterday. That's a pretty good indicator of how wrapped-up in the story I was. I thought it was an extremely compelling novel, and Jorg's voice was very addictive.

Jorg is not a nice boy, and comes across much more mature and wiser than you'd expect for a 13-year old. Because the narrative was so strong and believable, I was able to gloss over the fact that a young teenager was leading a band of hardened criminals.

Loved the setting/milieu, as I'm a fan of the type of fantasy world Mark has created.

I'll save more for the review as I want this to really settle in my head for a bit.