Legacy of Heorot, a movie?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by The Lord of all Things Inane, Oct 31, 2010.

1. The Lord of all Things Inane

The Lord of all Things Inane 1CoolNerd

I some times wonder why so many of todays movies are POS, when there is so much awesome material out there. I feel like movie makers have little respect for the public.
    Legacy of Heorot would make an awesome movie, film it in New Zealand(like another great authors stuff was)
    I would be hard pressed to choose actors for the characters, though.
    Carlos- maybe Antonio Banderas
    Weyland- No pretty boy dink, or spit mouthed fad boy for this part, i will keep trying to figure it out, any body have an idea?
    CDN

2. Omphalos

Omphalos Orthodox Herbertian

A buddy of mine and I wrote a screenplay during the break between our second and third year of law school. I think it'd be great if someone who knew what they were doing tried.

3. The Lord of all Things Inane

Agreed! How did your screenplay come out? It seems like hard work.
    CDN

4. psikeyhackr

psikeyhackr Live Long & Suffer

Well Avatar demonstrated they can make pretty damn good CGI animals now.

It could be done well.

psik

5. The Lord of all Things Inane

i likes Avatar. I was against watching it because I figured it would be a let down, but it rocked! Whoever did the CGI in that would rock the Grendels for Avalon.
    CDN

6. Omphalos

It was total crap. I think I deleted it some time ago because it was so bad and I didn't want it stinking up my hard drive.

I would have thought this one would be a natural to do. they could do this, then come up with some other ideas for National Geographic colonization missions. Make a series of movies about it, one adaptation and a bunch of originals afterwards. With NatGeo helping defray costs and getting some royalties for their troubles.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  7. The Lord of all Things Inane

Now you are putting it in terms that would ring the bells of the greedy! I would love to see it well done. A large version of R Lee Ermey would be great for Cadmann Weyland. Have a Destiny's Road movie as a cousin.
    I am already at a standstill with my wish list of good actors for this wishful thinking movie.
    Sorry your screenplay wasn't what you expected, I would bet a sock full of used batteries it was better than the crud I write!

CDN

8. Omphalos

Weyland would have to be somebody older; somebody who could pull off the role of valiant soldier who has already been smacked down by bureaucracy before this mission even started, then went through the smack-down all again after thinking that people just may listen to him this time. Somebody beat up and beat down but not beat out; someone interesting enough to still get a few chicks. Not sure who that'd be. Maybe that guy who commands in SGU, or someone like him?

9. phil_geo

phil_geo Rat Thing

I have wanted this movie made for years!

Antonio Banderas would have been a great choice 20 years ago, but the dude is 50. Carlos is young and in his prime. I think Enrique Iglesias would be great.
    For Weyland, Russell Crowe would be awesome and at 45 is about right.

10. The Lord of all Things Inane

Enrique Iglesias? Are you some kind of evil genius? That guy could get the panties off a nun! He WOULD be great for that role.
    Russell Crowe, though? Mmmmm, I don't know, he is kind of short for Weyland, and doesn't really give off the military vibe. He is more like a thug on his best behavior.
    I think Omphalos is right, someone that can pull off the wounded lion, the man betrayed.
    CDN

11. The Lord of all Things Inane

What about Kurt Russell? He was tits in that flick, Soldier.
    And maybe that guy from wings(Lowell?) who worked on the planes could be Ernst. Or Dobber from Coach, he has to be able to portray "Ice on the mind".
    M-O-O-N, that spells ice on the mind. This is fun, with you all kicking it around too, man, what if we came up with a decent idea of a cast, and somehow the movie was made? I would LOVE to see it!
    CDN

12. phil_geo

phil_geo Rat Thing

Kurt Russell is a good choice, Soldier was an awesome and underrated movie. But again, he is a little old at 60. How about Vin Diesel?

<edit:> Wait, Vin may have been a bad suggestion but I just nailed it - Viggo Mortensen.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  13. The Lord of all Things Inane

That Viggo Mortensen guy is a trip, maybe he could pull it off. He was creepy in The Prophecy. The age would be right... I have to borrow the book again, I get all excited and have spaced the names of most of the other characters. So, to re cap:

Julio Iglecias as Carlos(Perfect)
    Viggo Mortensen as Cadmann Weyland (strong maybe)

I feel like this crew of three are better at choosing actors for parts than all of Hollywood combined!
    Who else? Do either of you have the book handy?
    CDN

14. k1w1taxi

k1w1taxi Registered User

Zack Moscowitz
    Rachel Moscowitz
    Mary Ann Eisenhower
    Phillys McAndrew
    Sylvia Faulkner
    Terry Faulkner
    George Merriot
    Hendrick Sills
    Joe Sikes
    Jerry Carr
    Barney Carr (female)
    Bobbi Kanagawa
    Stu Ellington
    Jerry Bryce
    Marnie McInnes

Should keep you going for a while.

Cheers
    Lee

15. The Lord of all Things Inane

Damn! All right, you officially rock.

16. k1w1taxi

k1w1taxi Registered User

Only one choice then Charlize Theron :D:D:D
    Can't Recall offhand
    Vet

Thanks. <Stares at ground and makes meaningless scuff marks with foot>

Cheers
    Lee

17. The Lord of all Things Inane

k1w1taxi, yeah, Charlize Theron is about the right age, and has a good range of skills. Cool as a mule!
    You are management material. Thanks for keeping this going. Did I see you are from New Zealand?
    CDN

18. k1w1taxi

k1w1taxi Registered User

Yep, a Middle Earther! Actually about 50-60km from Hobbiton.

Cheers
    Lee

19. Warrior_Angel2.

Warrior_Angel2. New Member

Coming to the conversation a little late, but I just had to put my two cents in since this is the first time I've ever seen anybody else talk about Legacy!

I'm super psyched to be talking about this but I have to ask... did you read the book? There is no way Charlize Theron is Sylvia. No way. "Her short brown hair and freckled cheeks... plain except for the eyes," does not equal Charlize. She's too beautiful for it, plus she's supposed to be 20 years younger than Cadmann. I was thinking someone more like Emily Blunt. She's pretty but she isn't in your face with it and she could pull off being torn between two men she really cares about.

For Cadmann I think Jeffrey Dean Morgan would be absolutely perfect. He played The Comedian in Watchmen and he looks rough around the edges, like he's been through a lot in his lifetime.

Terry - Dominic West
    MaryAnn - Sophia Myles or Rosamund Pike
    Ernst - Kevin Durand I know he typically places a bit of an idiot, but I think he could pull off being a formerly brilliant scientist who now has the mind of a ten year old.

We have to keep in mind that these were the top 1% of the population intellectually, and Cadmann was the warrior of that time. He was chosen out of everyone to be the one to fight any potential dangers they found on the planet.

The main thing I'm worried about is the Grendel. You're right about Avatar showing what is possible nowadays but if that beast isn't believable the whole thing will cave.

It's awesome that you're talking about this, I could never find anyone else who had any idea what the heck I was rambling on about!

20. The Lord of all Things Inane

All right! I am way behind the times on who is who in show bidness, so I am glad you are up on it. I have read Legacy of Heorot more than twenty times, and Beowulfs Children almost as many times.
    You are right, the Grendel has to be bad as can be,(bad as in way good) or else it is just another turkey of a movie. Heroes are worthless without a good nemesis. Welcome to Sff World, by the way. Glad to see another fan of Legacy.
    Not Sci Fi, but how about The Burning City as a movie too?