March 2011 SF Nominations

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Erfael, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erfael

Erfael Lemurs!!! Staff Member

Hi all,

The Dune discussion seems to be moving along, and we already have selected Stranger in a Strange Land as our February book, so let's get some nominations going for a March discussion book.

Remember:

1. Everyone can nominate one book and second a reasonably small number of other books.
    2. Books must be available new in US and UK (I just check the two Amazons for this). They should also be in a format other than hardcover, so as to keep costs down.
    3. Books must be standalone or book 1 in a series (usually not a problem in SF).
    4. They can't have been book club books before. The list of previous discussions can be found here.

Let's hear some nominations. I'd like to leave this up no longer than a week and then put it to a vote (assuming we have enough nominations with seconds, thirds, etc, for that) so that we can have the book selected by the beginning of February. So get those nominations in by the 23rd.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  2. fluffy bunny

fluffy bunny Tasty or your money back! Staff Member

I'm going to try and sneak a horror book in ;) (well it straddles genre). May I nominate 'I am Legend' by Richard Matheson

3. Erfael

I have to apologize to someone who nominated that for fantasy last round. I said we'd done it in SF before, and I would have sworn we had...though it's just not there. So I guess it's completely valid.

4. spiralguru3d

spiralguru3d Registered User

I nominate '2001: A Space Odyssey'

5. DinK.MeekeR

DinK.MeekeR Registered User

I nominate Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut

6. spiralcity

spiralcity Registered User

I will repost my nom's.

1. The Sheep Look Up- John Brunner (This could be considered horror sci/fi)
    2. Stand On Zanzibar- John Brunner

7. spiralcity

Excellent book. I read this twice so I must shy-away from it at this time.

8. Erfael

Care to nominate just one of those spiral? I think someone seconded Stand on Zanzibar in the January thread, so maybe that one? We try to keep it to one nomination and a reasonable amount of seconds for each book, and certainly only one nomination per author.

9. spiralcity

Sure will.

Stand On Zanzibar- John Brunner

10. bearcatmark

bearcatmark Registered User

Surface Detail or Matter by Iain M Banks
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller
    Revelation Space by Reynolds

(I'm being selfish here these are the books I am debating on for my next science fiction reads.)

11. Erfael

One nomination...just one.

I'll make it easy on you, though.

Canticle and Revelation have been book club books before, so only one of those is valid.

We'll assume you're nominating Surface Detail.

12. spiralguru3d

spiralguru3d Registered User

I second Stand on Zanzibar, I've meant to read it for a while now.

Incidentally, since I'm new to this. Is the Book Club intended to *read* the books together and then discuss, or simply begin discussing the book on the month specified. For example, if SoZ were nominated for March, would I read it in February and start discussing here on March 1st, or not start reading it until March 1st? It might seem like it doesn't matter but if I sit down to start reading on March 1st and see everybody start discussing it on the forums at the same time...well the timing's wrong isn't it? :confused:

13. livens

livens Registered User

From what I see you are to read and discuss in the same month. But certainty you could start reading early and start discussing on March 1st.

My problem is I'm a slow reader. I dont have time to read for hours on end, usually only 20-40 minutes a day on my breaks. I usually average a book a month, less for shorter books. Really should start reading a couple weeks early so I don't miss the bus. Im late this month, only half way through Dune. So Ill probably start Stranger in Strange Land late too...

14. Erfael

It's personal preference. Some people like to have the book read in time to discuss on the 1st. Others like to wait until some people have already commented, read some of the comments, then start in on the book.

I personally try to read the book before the 1st of the month, but not too far before, in order to have the book fresh in mind, but also to try to weigh in with my first post sometime in the first week.

Other people come along years later and read and comment on the book club threads. That's why we keep them around in the Book Club forums.

15. Erfael

Actually, I had gotten excited to see Surface detail on there...something I've recently read and enjoyed and which isn't 50 years old...

Unfortunately, it's not yet available in paperback (at least in the US), so it's not valid as a nomination because of violation of rule 2.

16. Erfael

And I'll second Cat's Cradle. It's short and one of my all-time favorite books.

I'll post a poll tomorrow so we can vote on a discussion book.

17. pinkprincess

pinkprincess New Member

Cat's Cradle!! :)

18. Erfael

Hi all,

The poll is up for the eligible books that have been nominated and seconded. The poll can be found HERE.

Please note, you're not limited to one vote. If you'd be interested in discussing two of the books, vote for both of them. If you'd be interested in discussing any of the three books, either vote or don't, as it doesn't matter (though, please do because it's more exciting to see big numbers after each book...it let's us know you're interested in the book club).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.