March 2012 SF Discussion Nominations

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Erfael, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Erfael

Erfael Lemurs!!! Staff Member

Hi all,

Time for some nominations for a March BOTM. Have at it.

1. Everyone can nominate one book and second a reasonably small number of other books.
    2. Books must be available new in US and UK (I just check the two Amazons for this). They should also be in a format other than hardcover, so as to keep costs down.
    3. Books must be standalone or book 1 in a series (usually not a problem in SF).
    4. They can't have been book club books before.

2. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

Noting a couple from my current stack of books:

Into the Looking Glass by John Ringo (also available for free from the Baen Fifth Imperium site):

Mecha Corps by Brett Patton (pen name for Jason Stoddard):

3. Erfael

Erfael Lemurs!!! Staff Member

I could go for the Ringo. It's free, and I'm up for broadening my SF horizons. I've never read Ringo.

4. suciul

suciul Read interesting books

Looking Glass is the debut to John Ringo's zaniest series (The Voyage of the Space Bubble), though later novels are written with Travis Taylor. It still has its share of destruction and of course the political stuff will drive the pc crowd mad, but it is not as grim as Posleen or un-pc as Ghost.

Personally while I enjoyed all the series novels to date and there were tons of moments in various books that cracked me up laughing, the balance between modern sf and over-the-top BEM (bug eyed monsters) stuff kept me from ranking it on par with Prince Roger, the Council Series and Paladin of Shadows which are the author's best work (and excellent stuff at its best)

If you want a sort of "golden age" sf with modern right wing sensibilities and lots of advanced physics (showing Travis Taylor's expertise), I think this is a very good choice, but to read the "real" Ringo, you gotta try Ghost, March Upcountry, There will be dragons and the Hymn Before Battle as Looking Glass is much lighter stuff overall

5. symbolhunter

symbolhunter Science-Fantasy Zealot

I've never read Ringo and this sounds like a reasonable starting volume. I note that it is available in a format which works with Kindle and can be easily converted to epub using Calibre. Thus it is a good choice for use with an ereader device.

6. Nottobrite

Nottobrite Registered User

I would like to nominate Germline by TC McCarthy .

The second book in the trilogy comes out the end of February, so I think it would be a good time to discuss the first novel.

I also would find any discussion of Looking Glass by John Ringo interesting. I read that novel a few years ago, and listened to the rest of the series on audio, and there are a lot of interesting applications of Physics in the novels.