March-April 2012 Short Story Competition

Discussion in 'Writing' started by zachariah, Mar 1, 2012.

1. zachariah

zachariah Speaks fluent Bawehrf

I’m going topical on your asses this time. The creative fulcrum for your mental levers is:

Money​

Money. Bread. Cash. Filthy lucre. Getting it, spending it, earning it, taking it. Using it, losing it. The theory. The practice. Having too much or not enough.

* * *​

There are rules. Rules which I will enforce with AN IRON FIST!
    1. I’m upping the word ante to 3000. Stories below this word-count (as determined by Microsoft Word) will be declined like a bad credit card. Be aware OpenOffice and its off-shoots will over-count compared to Word.
    2. There must be a clearly recognisable SF/F element in your story.
    3. Post your story in the ‘Stories’ forum. This is protected from search engines and can only be seen by SFFWorld registered forum members, and does not count as publication if you are going to submit your work elsewhere. Links or attached documents will not be considered.
    4. Post a link to your story in this thread.
    5. Closing date is midnight, April 25th GMT. You may edit your story up to this time as much as you like, but please tell us you're doing so if it's more than spelling/grammar checks.
    As a courtesy to your readers, take care over your formatting. The forum sadly does not recognise paragraph indents – please separate paragraphs and lines of dialogue with a blank line.

Example:

I look forward to your entries. Your double-booked entries!

2. N. E. White

N. E. White Moderator Staff Member

Congrats on another win, Zach. Great theme. Good luck to all who enter.

3. robotosaur

robotosaur Registered User

Congrats on the win, zach, and thanks for the theme!

4. Daddy Darth

Daddy Darth Boba Fett Lives

One could go almost anywhere with this one - good theme and grats, Zach.

5. Wilson Geiger

Wilson Geiger Greymane

Congrats, a well-deserved win! I look forward to getting back into the swing of writing regularly with an entry here.

6. R.J.

R.J. Is Winter Coming?

First thing that came to mind was Rhulad Sengar but he's done. :eek:

7. tennesseemcvay

tennesseemcvay Fictional Mountain Man

I'm thinking something like "hustle and flow" but in space. It's hard out here for a pimp when the galactic federation is always trying to keep you from making the rent.

8. AZimmer23

AZimmer23 Things Fall Apart

"Money." Awesome. I was disappointed with only 5 votes in the last round but I'm new, so what do I know? What I do know is that everyone here are great storytellers and make me into a better one as well. Love the comaraderie and the heartfelt critiques that improve us all as writers.

Now Quit Yelling, Zach!

We Get It!!! 3000 words!

:p

9. zachariah

zachariah Speaks fluent Bawehrf

AWESOME IDEA! If you do not write the space-pimp story (with a harem of alien girls), I will totally steal it. Tons of room for comedy and action there. And lots of sex. You must do this. Stop that crummy interval training and let your brain do the sweating for a while.

10. Cirias

Cirias Wirt's Fourth Leg

Definitely entering a short story this time around. The theme is excellent :)

11. Hereford Eye

Hereford Eye Just Another Philistine

12. norm

norm We parley for nobody

When I clicked to open this thread and saw that it said 'Last post by Hereford Eye' I asked myself, "I wonder if he's written something already?"

It was a stupid question.

13. tennesseemcvay

Well it took me a couple of days to come up with a viable plot but I followed your advice Zach and I'm gonna take a shot at pimping across the galaxy. If I fail utterly we can just pretend that it never happened and someone else can take up the torch and put together something worth while. Comedy is definitely a new genre for me but I'll take a stab at it and see what happens. About 2k words in right now and I'm hooked so hopefully that's a good sign. Should be submitted for everyone's approval in the next couple of days.

14. AZimmer23

I'm gonna go with an alien messianic character chastising the money changers.

Prepare for "blasphemy." (not the title of the story, just what my sister screamed when I told her my idea. Yet, she loves Harry Potter. Churchians!)

15. MrBF1V3

MrBF1V3 aka. Stephen B5 Jones

What's wrong with Harry Potter?

I have an idea but I hesitate. (Okay, I'm embarrassed that I entered last month and never voted.) Anyway, I'll play with the idea and see if I can do something with it. And then set aside a few days in April.

B5

16. MLSawyer

MLSawyer Compulsive Writer

"Snikerty Snikerty ha ha..." don't ask me why but these words have been stuck in my head since thinking of a short story... so I guess I'll just have to write it :)

17. AZimmer23

Dear fellow readers/writers. I am going to apologize in advance for the length of my story. It may be close to 9000 words and I know that can be daunting when there are so many other selections to read. Just a heads up!

18. AZimmer23

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Harry Potter. Love those books. It's just that my sister is a proclaimed devout Christian but only when it's convenient. Me writing about magic and whatnot marks me a heretic, but Ms. Rowling is off the hook.

Oh, and don't feel bad about not voting, we all get busy. Way more important that you keep writing, voting be darned.

19. tennesseemcvay

First draft of the galactic pimp story finished and so is the first round of editing. Sent it to a friend who is the biggest sci-fi nerd I know to make sure there weren't any major works I left unmolested but he is doing exams right now. Should be posted by the end of this week. Coming in around 4k words and its my first real shot a comedy so I would say don't laugh but that's kind of the point isn't it.

20. MLSawyer

MLSawyer Compulsive Writer

Snikerty has his story, now I just have to fix it all, edit, make sure the story makes sense... would be typing it up now if it weren't for trying to keep up with all my social media... but it will be up soon :)