Massive rerelease of David Wingrove's CHUNG KUO series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Werthead, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Roland 85

Roland 85 Registered User

I read the first four books once upon a time and totally loved them. The only thing that sours this reprint is the fact that my grandchildren will still be waiting for the whole thing to be published...

2. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

You expect to have grandchildren by 2015? Or do you mean you doubt the exercise will be successful enough to get all the books out?

3. Roland 85

Considering it would be a major achievement to have grandchildren at all, I'll have to go with "both", but yes, I really find it not very plausible to have them all out in just 4-5 years.

4. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

It's certainly the most ambitious publishing schedule I've ever head of (although there's probably been ones that are moreso), but at the same time the publishers do seem to be putting a lot of muscle behind the series (although I note that blogging and genre coverage seems to be pretty limited at the moment). So long as sales are not catastrophically bad, I think it's doable. It's also interesting that they are only releasing two books in 2011 before switching to the full 4/5-book-a-year schedule after that. Presumably if the first two books (which are a semi-self-contained duology anyway) bomb, the whole thing will be called off.

5. Hobbit

Hobbit Administrator Staff Member

Review's on the way....

From what I remember, apart from the two Myst books, David's been working on these for over twenty years. So it's quite possible that a lot of it is there already, especially if the original eight books need little else but minor tweaking/restructuring.

(Admittedly, the last of the originals does, but from what I remember David saying it was written, just not published in the form he preferred - so it may be just a case of putting back what was originally written.)

Got to admire the man's tenacity!

Mark

6. Glelas

Glelas Seven Mary Four

Is this a UK only release? Either way I am going to purchase them but was just wondering if the US has any plans to release them.

Is Son of Heaven the first of the entire series? Is it an omnibus of sorts?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  7. Hobbit

UK only at the moment, I believe: have a look at the website.

It is the first book in the new series, and a completely new book, set some time before the original series.

Wert's put a list up elsewhere in this thread showing how the new schedule pans out.

Mark

8. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

Yup, the rewrites and re-edits to Chung Kuo are now complete and done. Wingrove is in fact already working on a completely new project, a time travel SF trilogy called Roads to Moscow.

IIRC, a US publisher is interested but is waiting to see how the UK releases do before committing themselves.

9. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

I know I say this alot about the books you fine folk in the UK get on your shelves we don't, but I'd love a US publisher to pick up the series.

10. bobbb

bobbb Registered User

I never heard of this series before but based on what i read here i will buy the first book. But i doubt that all 20 books will be released. Usually the first in a series sells the most and then the numbers drop, and with 20 books you would have an enormous drop by the time the last book is released. I think the original number of books would have been better.

11. akw4572

akw4572 New Member

I hope they get released in the US, I'm interested.

12. Roland 85

Well, bookdepository is your friend even if they're not released in the US ;)

13. Glelas

Glelas Seven Mary Four

Yeah, it will be book depository for me. I live and die by that site.

China becoming the world's lone superpower coincides with where the real world is heading. I am really looking forward to this.

14. Roland 85

I notice there's a new turbo expensive edition of Son of Heaven announced on Amazon, but I couldn't find any info about what's so awesome about it? Not that I'll pay that exuberant price, but does anybody know anything?

15. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

The mega-expensive version comes in an awesome slipcase, which is about the only difference I can discover.

Meanwhile, for UK fans the Kindle edition of Son of Heaven is currently available for just £2.99 on Amazon.co.uk for those who want to give it a go.

16. Hobbit

It's signed as well.

We're just getting details about it now. Would anyone be interested in a giveaway? We might be able to offer it....

Mark

17. akw4572

akw4572 New Member

I just ordered the book on my kindle, from the U.S. store. It cost $9.99.

18. odo

odo Registered User

Sure! :):):):):)

19. odo

odo Registered User

I have to say that geographical restrictions for buying e-books totally and utterly SUCK. I really wanted to buy the book. It was only one click away, but can't buy it. However, I can buy the paper edition. That's just ridiculous :mad: I could buy the "international" (or whatever it is called) edition at amazon.com but they want me to pay more than 13$.

Very, very, very pissed off :mad::mad::mad:

20. Cigarist

Cigarist New Member

dosen't seem paperbacks will be released, only hardcovers.