Mega cities and Science fiction

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Martin Ekdahl, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Martin Ekdahl

Martin Ekdahl Naaghabrother

I have a affection for the mega city. I simply love the concept. Therefor I start this thread to discuss mega cities and science fiction.

Which is the greatest dystopian mega city in sci-fi? Is it The Sprawl (Neuromancer), Detroit (RoboCop) or San-Angeles (Demolition Man)?

Which are the coolest city states/one-corp states? Is it Mega-City One (Judge Dredd) or New York 2022 (Soylent Green)?

Which Anime city do you like best? Is it Mega Tokyo (Bubblegum crisis), Neo-Tokyo (Akira) or Oedo (Cyber City Oedo 808)?

Which ecumenopoleis (Planet wide mega cities) do you love most? Is it Trantor (Asimov's Foundation series), Coruscant (Star Wars), City Europe (in David Wingrove's Chung Kuo series), Holy Terra and Necromunda (Warhammer 40,000), Ravnica (Magic: The Gathering) or maybe Asuras (Stargate Atlantis).

Which movie taking place in a Mega city do you consider the best? Is it Ridley Scott's Blade Runner, Fritz Lang's Metropolis, Min Byeong-cheon's Natural City or maybe Luc Besson's The Fifth Element?

Which MMORPG city is best? Is it Paragon City (City of Heroes), Mega City (The Matrix Online) or maybe Kaineng City (Guild Wars)?

Will BosWash (Boston-Washington), Blue Banana (London-Milan), SanSan (San Fransisco-San Diego), Quebec-Windsor, Madison-Milwaukee, Valley of Mexico (Mexico City-Pachuca), Cascadia (Seattle-Vancouver), Taiheiyo Belt (Tokyo-Kyoto), Jabodetabek (Jakarta-Bekasi), Tehran-Varamin, Öresund (Copenhagen-Southern Sweden) and Rio-Campinas merge into megalopolises (highly urbanized zones)?

Will large parts of China, India and Pakistan merge into megalopolises?

Which is your favorite mega city? Tokyo, Seoul, Mexico City, Delhi, Bombay (Mumbai), New York City, Saõ Paolo, Manila, Los Angeles, Shanghai, Osaka, Kolkata, Karachi, Guangzhou, Jakarta, Cairo, Buenos Aires, Moscow, Beijing, Dhaka, Istanbul, Rio De Janiero, Tehran, London or maybe Lagos?

Which city is most sci-fi? Is it Dubai, Taipei, Singapore or Hong-Kong?

Please share your views on this wonderful matter. There is mega-much to discuss.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  2. Kazz Wylde

Kazz Wylde Rogue Warrior

Camorr in Scott Lynch's Lamora series is pretty cool, although it's fantasy. I haven't read it yet, but Mieville's city made of ships all together in The Scar sounds cool too.

3. Martin Ekdahl

Oh, I haven't heard of them. Must check it out asap. Next stop Wikipedia.

4. psikeyhackr

psikeyhackr Live Long & Suffer

Blade Runner had the best visuals, The 5th Element was just silly.

psik

5. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

An anthology, METAtropolis edited by John Scalzi featuring stories by Jay Lake, Elizabeth Bear, Tobias Buckell, Scalzi, and Karl Schroeder was released as an audiobook original last year. Very soon (July 2009, I think) Subterranean Press is publishing the print version, which I just finished a few days ago. Very good stuff in there, very atmospheric and hauntingly plausible in many ways.

I'll be posting a review in about a week or two.

6. Kazz Wylde

Kazz Wylde Rogue Warrior

7. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

I have a soft spot for Mega-City One, even if the number of times it's been levelled, blown up, nuked, irradiated, poisoned or attacked by killer mutant zombies is now reaching ludicrous proportions.

Tranquillity, the giant sentient space habitat from Hamilton's Night's Dawn Trilogy is pretty damn impressive. I wouldn't mind living there. Valisk...not so much ;)

Chasm City and the Glitter Band before the Melding Plague in Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space novels are cool as well.

8. biodroid

biodroid Smooth Uphill Slider

What about Curscant from Star Wars? The planet is one massive city

9. manephelien

manephelien Gryffindor Gal

My two favorites are Trantor and Coruscant because I know those two best from fiction. The cities in Blade Runner and The 5th Element are too depressing, even though I like the movies a lot.

10. Martin Ekdahl

Yup. I agree. I didn't like The 5th Element at all. But I love Blade Runner. The sweeping cameras over the dystopic Los Angeles with it's almost Mayan architechture and never-ending rain to the music of Vangelis. It ain't getting any better.

Check out this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJrOVLEUBgw

It gives me goose bumps.

11. Martin Ekdahl

Please do!

12. Martin Ekdahl

13. Martin Ekdahl

Oh, how I love it. It is so crude. It's a city with an extreme endurance. Some memorable moments: when the Dark Judges ravaged the town, when East Meg One nuked one fifth of Mega-City One, when Judge Cal sentenced the whole population to death and, of course, all those Block wars.

14. Martin Ekdahl

Yes it's perfect. Because it's somewhat a mixture between the ancient Rome, Trantor, Hong-Kong and Blade Runner's Los Angeles. Utopian and dystopian at the same time. And massive! I like.

15. Martin Ekdahl

Can they be too depressing?

16. Hobbit

Hobbit Administrator Staff Member

Trantor was one of the first, wasn't it?

For me there's also William Gibson's Japanese Chiba City, which strangely always reminds me of Blade Runner's Los Angeles. (That one really has set the visual standard for so many, hasn't it?)

I think my favourite though has to be Arthur C Clarke's Diaspar and Lys from Against the Fall of Night/The City and the Stars. They were two of the first I encountered, before Trantor, I think. Two cities together - one belowground and deserted, the other a modern dome city so beloved of SF.

Guess that also means I should mention James Blish's New York from Cities in Flight too, with the iconic Analog cover:

[​IMG]

Mark.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  17. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

Trantor and Coruscant are way too silly. You can't have a city covering a whole planet, the population would be in the hundreds of trillions or even quadrillions (in both cases the creators actually said it was around 1 trillion). You'd need hundreds of millions of giant spaceships flying in food and supplies daily. When Thrawn blockaded Coruscant in The Last Command the planet should have starved in days at best.

That said, the Fall of Coruscant in Star by Star was pretty cool.

18. Hobbit

Hobbit Administrator Staff Member

Ah, but who said in the thread that the place had to make sense? Some might say New York flying to the stars is silly (and others might just hope it would happen :D) but I must admit, silly or not, I like the idea.

Mind you, same goes for those huge mile-long spaceships and those ribbon walkways...

Mark

19. Zeratul

Zeratul Registered User

Actually Trantor is described as having a population of only around 40-45 billions IIRC. Which is still silly, but for a different reason - way too low population density for a city.

20. Kazz Wylde

Kazz Wylde Rogue Warrior

Yeah, It's similar to Venice, based loosely I guess you'd say on it. Canals, etc.