Mistborn Final Empire - Sanderson

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Steve Brickman, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Steve Brickman

Steve Brickman Registered User

I just finished reading Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. I got interested in reading his stuff after reading his Wheel of Time effort (which i loved) and have to say, I really enjoyed this book. The system of magic whereby the user has to ingest some metals to "burn" was (as far as i was aware) a totally new concept and it was a pretty cool to read something new where the main magic user didn't just wave his/her hands or point or say something to make something happen or whatever... Did anyone else think so?

2. Twinner

Twinner Registered User

I did feel the same way. In addition, I though WoT book 12 was better written than many (not all) of the others in the series. I did not love "Elantris" but it was okay, and I look forward to reading more Sanderson.
    Roy

3. Jeffraw

Jeffraw New Member

I'm on the last 100 or so pages of his last mistborn book (and plan on finishing it tonight). I have to say i enjoyed it quite a lot.
    He has some very interesting concepts, and a fantastic magic system.

The only problem I have with it is that the characters tend to 'sound' the same, and the action sequences aren’t super engaging. Interestingly, the lack of sparkle in the action sequences was the only thing that made me really notice that Jordan didnt write the The Gathering Storm.

Personally, I think that the WOT book he wrote was miles ahead of his mistborn series technically. Reading his blog it seems like he has improved his writing style after working on the WOT series.
    There is a post somewhere on his site where he explains that his editor has noticed a big difference with his solo writing pre to post WOT.

I am looking forward to the next big series he is currently writing.

4. SusF

SusF Who me?

I enjoyed the three Mistborn books quite a lot. The third one was pretty gloomy and I skimmed past a lot of exposition to see how it all ended.

All in all the series was something new and I liked it. I'll definitely look up Sanderson's work again, though not the WoT books, since I never finished the first one those many years ago.

5. BEEFY

BEEFY Registered User

I just finished reading the mistborn series. It was an pretty good read. I like the first and third books much more than I did the second. I don't think it was the best fantasy series ever but anybody who likes the genera should pick these up.

6. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

7. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Registered User

The Final Empire was the best in the series imho--loved the ending. Many argue that it should have been a standalone, rightly so. #2 was good because Zane is a badass; I wish Brandon had done something more with him. I agree with SusF about #3 being gloomy. Most of the flaws in characterization, theme, and believability are contained in HOA. The writing doesn't compare to other authors known for their poetic/lyrical talent, but it definitely isn't bad. All three are page-turners, so have fun with the rest of the series. BTW--if you can get the hardcovers, the cover art is REALLY nice. I wish cover art didn't influence my imagery in any way, but unfortunately it often does. I loved the cover art on HOA :p

cheers

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  8. Eldubb

Eldubb Registered User

Just finished book 1, starting book 2....recommended by Rob and a few others to me in another thread and im glad they did. Loving the story so far.

9. Steve Brickman

Steve Brickman Registered User

BTW--if you can get the hardcovers, the cover art is REALLY nice. I wish cover art didn't influence my imagery in any way, but unfortunately it often does. I loved the cover art on HOA

LOL same here, I buy the US versions of some hardcovers (fiest, jordan) because i like having some form of artwork, rather than just a simple logo or symbol on the cover...Even though many say that the jordan covers are horrible, i actually like seeing how artists show us their vision of whats inside...
    Just got book 2 (paperback i'm afraid) and cannot wait to get cracking!

10. Walt

Walt Registered User

I just finished the series recently, loved it as a trilogy but struggled through book 2 (Well of Ascension). The battles seemed to drone on and on for me and I was growing tired of hearing how Vin dropped a coin to push, then pulled on a window latch, only to push on something else, in order to strike with her obsidian dagger.

Book 3 was a bit gloomy, like others have mentioned, but i thought the ending was excellent.

11. hobbs525

hobbs525 Registered User

I am totally loving this series too!! I also read Warbreaker and loved it just as well. He is definitely in my top 5.

12. Zappster

Zappster Registered User

Pretty much the same here. Although I would say that I just grew to dislike the Vin and Elend sections more and more as the series progressed. On their own they were okay but when together... Thankfully other characters got more of the spotlight and in particular I enjoyed Sazed's passages in book 2 (not so much book 3). It did wrap up nicely though and the things I've read about hinting at a great universe amongst all his published books has me intrigued to read Elantris, even though it is supposedly a lot worse than his Mistborn books.

I've got his Warbreaker paperback preordered and if I like it sufficiently I might be willing to jump in at the ground level on The Stormlight Archives book 1 by preordering the hardcover. I'd say he's a decent author with some good ideas but aspects of his characterization and dialogue among other things just don't work for me. It's not enough to ruin the books, but enough to ellicit a roll of the eyes. They're still entertaining and fun, but perhaps not on the level of some works by Martin et al for me. Somebody said he improved after writing WoT, which has me even more intrigued for what he's got in store for the Stormlight archives.

13. hobbs525

hobbs525 Registered User

I really enjoyed books 1 and 2 of this series BUT I am having I hard time with Elend in this book

I am SO sorry ya'll :-(

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  14. PogiRunner

PogiRunner Registered User

Hobbs525, you may want to add spoiler tags to your last post.

The Mistborn trilogy is among my all time favorites. I loved the first two books. I believe the last one at times unnecessarily repeated details from the first two, but I was satisfied with the ending and was pleased to see outstanding mysteries revealed.

The magic system is unique and very well done. I sometimes silently compare characters in this series to people I know in real life based on their magical ability :).

15. End Of Disc One

End Of Disc One Registered User

Augh damn it, I'm only on the second book. The topic title implies that this is about the first book, The Final Empire.

16. Timster

Timster Registered User

Lots of fans here, and I agree that he definitely has talent. Although he doesn't know how to write women - they seem very one-dimensional to me. However, he is young and newly married so hopefully he'll learn from experience;)

However, I have to say I was VERY disappointed with the Mistborn ending - spoiler warning - Just saying poof and a miracle occurred and everything was made well seemed a cop out to me. Much like the end of Goodkind's Sword of Truth series. It almost seemed like he was tired and didn't want to work on an ending. I know - the set-up with the stashes, but it still seemed very simplistic. I'll still read him, but was disappointed after all the hype. hopefully he'll treat WOT better

17. hippokrene

hippokrene Peckish

When it comes to writing females, I consider him one of the better speculative fiction authors.

18. PogiRunner

PogiRunner Registered User

I interpreted the ending differently (not implying mine is 'correct' or any better, just an opinion). I do not believe it was a miracle and a cop out. I became frustrated and annoyed with Sazed's angst and loss of faith concerning his life long study of several religions. I thought it was brilliant and ironic that in the end this acquired knowledge is what enabled him to move the world exactly where it needed to be.

19. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Registered User

I hardly think the ending was a copout (for the better anyway)--in fact just the opposite. I didn't care for HOA much at all. All the characters I'd grown attached to died. The sideplot with Spook was pointless and contributed nothing (something about moving the flow of an entire river--wtf?) and Elund's overnight transition from bookworm to supreme allomancer seemed ridiculous. Even without the revelatory chapter headings, the element of mystery was notably absent--it was obvious who was to become the HOA and who was to be martyred (everyone else). The scene near the end with Elund and "preservation?" waving its arms was LOL cheesy. Sazed's identity crisis got nauseatingly annoying, esp. considering his knowledge of spiritualism and place in society. What turned me off most though was the depressing sense of inevitability--they'd have been better off just staying home. At least that would have been more believable. But...I did really enjoy the characters of Tensoon, Sazed's love? (her name escapes me), clubs, and Breeze--while they lasted anyway

20. molybdenum

molybdenum Analyze That

I hate to argue with opinions...but I'm not even going to spoiler tag the above post becasue it's completely untrue.

I'm just interested how you wanted the book to end?

Would you have rather that ruin won, the world was destroyed, and it was all our Heroes' fault. Something tells me that wouldn't have been overly popular.
    The ending was perfectly foreshadowed throughout the series, it was always the ultimate plan, and frankly, it was somewhat realistic in fantasy terms. Besides, I don't think anyone can be accused of copping out on the ending when the two main characters died.

He didn't want to work on an ending? Have you read some of the endings of modern fantasy series? Greg Keyes, for example.

I'm OK with your statement about the women characters, Vin was good, but some of his others have been awful. I'd also be Ok if you didn't like the ending for other reasons. But please, please don't call it a cop-out. That is simply untrue. (OK, it's a subjective statement...but still.)

OK, rant done. Terribly sorry.