New book by Stella Gemmell?

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Alex, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Alex

Alex Registered User

Heya folks, so I read on the news section on sffworld that Stella Gemmell is getting her debut published in the spring of 2013. The book is to be called "The City" and her publisher already seems to shower praise over her book. Does anyone have any info on what this book is about? Is it a continuation of an existing David Gemmell series or is it a brand new epic fantasy? Since I'm a huge David Gemmell fan and I presume (or sincerely hope) that Stella Gemmell has been greatly influenced by her late husband this will by a must buy for me.

Very good news and I have high hopes for this one!

/Alex

2. Hobbit

Hobbit Now.. A Seriously Likeable Administrator Staff Member

Not too much yet, Alex. That Press release is all we have at the moment.

Others will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it will be a new Fantasy in the Gemmell style.

She was not only his second wife but his editor for quite a while before that, so the omens may be good.

And she did finish David's Troy series for him.

Mark

3. Mark Lawrence

Mark Lawrence The New ... MARK LAWRENCE

It will be interesting to see what she comes up with. I can't think of many examples of dynastic writing ... Tolkien's son ... any others?

4. Alex

Alex Registered User

Well, Stephen Kings son Joe Hill is also a horror-author=) I'm really psyched for Stellas debut and I will definately buy it the second it hits the shelves.

So many nice books that are coming out! On that topic, when is your next coming out Mark?

5. Hobbit

Ooh, good question!

The Mathesons, Richard and Richard-Christian could be added.

Fritz Leiber and Justin Leiber.

Mark

6. Mark Lawrence

I've heard of Joe Hill - never knew he was King's son. Any good do you know?

August!

7. Hobbit

Personally prefer his short stories to his novels. Thought 20th Century Ghosts was brilliant, really didn't like Horns.

Mark

8. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Joe Hill is, arguably, better known and stronger as a comic writer.

There's also the Pratchetts. Sir Terry Pratchett and his daughter Rhianna, who is/was a games journalist and has written for various games in the past, including a tie-in comic series.

9. Alex

Alex Registered User

Well I really liked Joe Hills "Heartshaped Box". It was spookey in a "movie-like" sense.

10. Davis Ashura

Davis Ashura Would be writer? Sure.

There's also Michael Resnick, sci-fi writer and his daughter, Laura Resnick, who writes fantasy.

11. Mark Lawrence

Anne McCaffrey + son Todd McCaffrey working on the same series.

12. A.T. Parkinson

A.T. Parkinson ze Spaniard!

I may be camping out infront of a bookshop for this. ;) Actualy I think Amazon preorder is healthier.

13. Philzilla

Philzilla Registered User

I agree, 20th Century Ghost is the finest collection of tales I have ever read.

14. Jussi

Jussi Registered User

Here is the first blurb for The City:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/City-Stella...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1345034697&sr=1-1

15. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

R.A. Salvatore's been writing some books with his son. Maybe not quite the same thing, but David started acknowledging his wife Leigh on his later books (although she'd apparently had the same level of invention and involvement with all of his fantasy books all along).

Not quite. Christopher Tolkien has worked as an editor on JRRT's unpublished writings, but he has never created or written any original prose or stories at all set in his father's creation.

In fact, my understanding is that whilst editing The Silmarillion and finding a couple of minor sections that needed new linking passages to make sense, he backed off and called in another writer - Guy Gavriel Kay - to do it for him.

16. mjolnir

mjolnir Registered User

My understanding of Christopher Tolkien's position, such as that understanding is, indicates that he's very protective of his father's legacy as his father's; he's very much a curator. I seem to remember seeing references in articles to him frothing over into coldly-offended fury at the suggestion that he could create or back the creation of actual new fiction set in Middle-Earth.

As for The City, I'm very very intrigued. The title feels like it could come across as too forgettable, but then again if the book is good it could end up iconic instead. And the blurb promises just the kind of epic fantasy I like when it's executed well.

Setting store by the book's details at online retailers is probably a waste of time at this early stage, as there can't possibly be a finished copy, but if amazon UK's guestimate of 700 pages is based on any info at all it sounds like the book might be quite chunky, a good deal longer than was DG's wont I believe. Two books is hardly any kind of trend, but I think John Gwynne's debut Malice is also supposed to be quite long. Maybe some UK publishers are starting to become open to very lengthy epic fantasy debuts again? [Such books did serve them well in the 90s, after all.]

Hopefully it gets a North American publisher soon.