New Sci-Fi Author.

Discussion in 'Writing' started by pragmatist, Feb 18, 2012.

1. pragmatist

pragmatist pragmatist

Hello,

I'm new to this site, just joined up in fact.

I have had an interest in UFOs and the possibility of alien visitation for some time. I have done a reasonable amount of research on the subject and have come across the same old stories and the same questions over and over again. Are we really being visited by aliens? If so why are they here? Why don't we have any physical evidence or good quality photo's of them?

I believe that 99% of what is put forward as 'truth' about this subject is nonsense. That said, I do think there's something to it, the remaining 1% is very, very interesting.

I have given my opinion (for what it's worth) on the subject of alien visitation and a few other conspiracy theories wrapped up in an adventure story that's a bit like 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind'.

It's set in the UK in 1991. It tells the story of a couple of UFOs that are detected on radar and are then positively identified by the military as being the real thing, real alien spacecraft. The military then swings into action.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  2. KatG

KatG Effulgent Staff Member

Pragmaticist, welcome!

Because you are asking people to go look at a finished work on sale and/or available as published, this is considered spam advertising soliciting readers and buyers on the forums and against the rules you agreed to follow while you are here. We understand that these distinctions can be confusing to new members. If you are unsure of whether it's okay to post something in the future, you can contact any of the staff to ask about it.

This post is intended for our other new writer members as well. Asking for critiquing feedback of an unfinished, unpublished work and aspects of the business in publishing works, such as book cover art, marketing techniques, etc., is allowed in the Writing Forum. Asking for feedback of any work, finished or unfinished, is not allowed in the Science Fiction or Fantasy/Horror Forums. If you are asking for something -- soliciting -- it is a good idea to check with staff first to make sure you are staying within the guidelines.

3. pragmatist

pragmatist pragmatist

Sorry Kat.

I thought this part of your site is for new writers to get some feedback to see if what we're doing is ok, if it needs a tweek, of if we need to give up. I am a new writer, this is the first thing I've done. I wrote it, edited it and designed the cover. I got a commercial guy to produce the cover from a sketch I did. That's why I asked for the feedback.

I didn't put the post on any other forum on this site for the reason you stated. I thought if any new writers (or experienced writers) were interested they could look at the front cover, the back cover 'blurb' and the first chapter on the site I mentioned for free. They wouldn't need to part with any money.

So if I understand this correctly, if the book wasn't already published (by myself) I could have asked the same questions no problem.

I don't want to put anyone's nose out of joint here and get kicked off the site, so how would I word a post to get the sort of feedback I'm interested in?

I'll edit my pevious post to remove anything that could be considered commercial content.

4. KatG

KatG Effulgent Staff Member

Understood, that's why I didn't just remove the thread. None of the forums allow unsolicited promotion of published, finished works, for sale or for free distribution. You cannot ask other members to go look at your final, published stuff, although if they ask you for information so that they can go and look at your stuff, that is solicited information and allowed.

In the Writing Forum, discussion of writing and publishing issues are allowed. So if you want feedback on an unfinished work, you can ask for that. We prefer that you provide the material in the Stories section of our site or in small snippets in the Writing Forum to make it easier for members to give feedback, but we've accepted that this is not always possible and will allow outside links in a feedback situation. You can also ask for feedback about publishing business concerns such as choosing a book cover, promotional and marketing techniques, pricing issues, etc. in the Writing Forum. We also allow those who are offering writers writing and publishing opportunities to post about them with links in the Writing Forum, with the caution that we take no responsibility for these offerings or what may happen if writers pursue them.

So basically, your request just fell a bit outside the purview, which is not unusual for new members. Since you want feedback on a potential sequel, I would suggest that you give us a summary of your first, published work in the series (such as the cover blurb,) here in this thread. That will make it easier for members to read it, rather than expecting them to go to Amazon or your site. And then describe what you are thinking about for the sequel and want feedback on. We can't give feedback if we don't know what you specifically want feedback on. We will allow this under those circumstances.

If you or anyone else has more questions about this, you can PM me or, if you're new and not allowed to PM yet, leave a message on my KatG member page. Or post the question here in the Writing Forum if you need to where I and other moderators here will see it.