Now playing (music) thread.

Discussion in 'Other Media (TV/Film, Comics & Games)' started by Ramirez, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Lazerus

Lazerus Way Too Human

Dark Matter by IQ. A great album to listen to while typing away at work.

2. Corporal Blues

Corporal Blues I like to rock the party

Sons of Northern Darkness- Immortal

Also, a snippet from my Opeth Heritage review:

3. Westsiyeed

Westsiyeed The Fifth Dominion

Pretty good review CB, I agree with most of it too. I was just listening to Heritage again this morning and it is definitely growing in me, but overall it just seems in some of the songs there's no overall direction and very few killer riffs that are so ever-present in previous albums. I guess that's the style they're playing anyway.

Interesting your take on Slither; this was one of the few tracks that warmed to me instantly and I still love it! Must be the inner hair/glam/hard rock 80's days still having a hold of me. But I know where you're coming from, and I saw Mikael mention this song in the DVD and it was almost like he was making up excuses for including it (tribute to Dio, fun song, etc.), so he recognises it's a fairly "un-Opeth" track.

Hmm interesting! Don't really get into any Black or extreme metal much.

Though one "band" I recently discovered and absolutely love is Ihsahn - the ex lead singer from Black Metal band Emperor.
    Have a listen to "Angl" or "After" - brilliant progressive metal with black influences.

4. Corporal Blues

Thanks Westsiyeed. I gotta see that DVD. Heritage is still better than most anything out there, but going by the high standards I have for Opeth, it just doesn't quite cut it for me.

I don't really listen to black metal that much either, but a friend loaned me the CD, so I figured I'd check it out. Pretty good stuff. Not something I'd listen to a lot, but a great change of pace.

Ihshan is pretty cool, thanks for the recommendation!

5. Lazerus

Lazerus Way Too Human

The Chemical Wedding by Bruce Dickinson, one of my all time favorite albums.

It derserves it's own shrine in the farce that is the rock and roll hall of fame. It would add some much needed integrity.

6. Lazerus

Lazerus Way Too Human

E Pluribus Funk by Grand Funk Railroad.

It's hard to believe that album is 40 years old.

Storytime....

Back around 1998 I finally tracked down a CD version of the album and was listening to it when my daughter (5 or 6 at the time) came into the room and started dancing. She asked me, "Is that rock and roll daddy?"

I said "Yes it is!". And we danced together for nearly the entire album. It's still one of those special moments I will never forget.

7. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

I'm listening to the soundtrack from the game Sanctum. It's pretty darned awesome, and reminds me a little of Solar Fields' work for Mirror's Edge.

8. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Dragging this into 2012.

So, lately, I've bought Illusions by Thomas Bergersen, one member of epic orchestral group Two Steps From Hell, and also Epicon by Globus.

Illusions is just absolutely stunning. Some really varied tracks on there, and so far my favourite has to be Starvation, although I'll really recommend Ocean Princess, Sonera and Merchant Prince.

Epicon, however, has me torn. The tracks seem to largely be based on a few different ideas and often it feels like I've heard it all before. It's like a cross between E.S. Posthumus' Makara and Unearthed, and Immediate Music's Trailerhead/Trailerhead: Saga - so much so that there are sections that are *in* songs by other artists. It's hard to explain what I mean. That said, a couple of songs seem fairly unique in their own ways. A few songs are in Latin, but some are in English, including the bizarrely-titled Orchard of Mines.

9. Westsiyeed

10. Agassizii

Agassizii . . .

I'm listening to Love Made Me by Vixen.

11. Foxface Fan

Foxface Fan District 3 Resident

Hypnotized - Fleetwood Mac

12. Hobbit

Hobbit Administrator Staff Member

A Life Within A Day: from the wonderfully titled 'Squackett': that's Chris Squire (Yes) and Steve Hackett (ex-Genesis).

Great stuff.

Mark

13. Chrysippus

Chrysippus Registered User

I just picked up the Storm Corrosion album. Will have to give it a listen later.

14. Westsiyeed

To be honest I can't get into this album, there's just not enough happening to keep me interested.

Something I have watched/listened to which was excellent is The Raconteurs: Live at Montreux 2008. It not only made me remember what good songs they wrote, but also what a great concert DVD should be like - filmed in HD with professional editing, DTS surround sound and very proficient musicians who play well together.

Shame I wasn't there!

15. EllenS

EllenS Registered User

I love that album. I first heard Dry Your Eyes, and bought the album, and loved the whole thing. It's such a treat to have a CD that is also a story.

I've got everything from classical to country to rap on my music player, but right now I'm mostly listening to indie folk music like Cry Monster Cry- The Fallen and Matthew and the Atlas- Within the Rose

There has never been a better time to find music directly from the artist. I can be a fan of a British folk artist, and follow all their new music from across the ocean.

16. MoonDoggie

MoonDoggie New Member

Listening to Sick Puppies - Riptide.

17. Westsiyeed

18. Corporal Blues

I didn't know there was a new Baroness album...this is a must buy. Thanks for the heads up!

19. Westsiyeed

20. N. E. White

N. E. White tmso Staff Member

Of Monsters and Men - Little Talks

[video=youtube;ghb6eDopW8I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghb6eDopW8I[/video]