Now playing (music) thread.

Discussion in 'Other Media (TV/Film, Comics & Games)' started by Ramirez, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Queen Aurora

Queen Aurora KOC addict

Florence and the machine- Howl...

2. Queen Aurora

Queen Aurora KOC addict

3. 3rdI

3rdI Edema Ruh

4. MattNY

MattNY Registered User

First off, I am not a big music buff at all.

I remember trying to listen to Tool when I was younger, and I just was not open to it.

I picked up this album a few weeks ago because a) I always wanted to try them again and b) because of your constant high praise of Tool.

I have to admit that I was very impressed with it. I normally don't like to listen to music while I read, as I find it more distracting than anything. However, I felt like listening to this album while I breezed through Fall of Hyperion added even more to it.

I may have to pick up another album and see if I enjoy it as much.

5. 3rdI

3rdI Edema Ruh

Right on Matt very cool :D If you liked 10,000 Days I recommend picking up Lateralus next. It has a similar tone while still being completely different. No two Tool albums are alike but Lateralus is closer musically to 10,000 Days. If you dig Lateralus then work your way back through Aenima, Undertow, and Opiate.

Unfortunately you will be hard pressed to get your hands on a copy of Salival outside of Ebay which people sell for an absurd price. I was lucky enough to buy it when it came out but it was a limited run and I doubt they will ever re-release it in bulk.

6. MattNY

MattNY Registered User

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered Lateralus off of Amazon, so I should have it in a few days, thanks to Prime shipping. :D

7. Queen Aurora

Queen Aurora KOC addict

8. 3rdI

3rdI Edema Ruh

What is your favorite Infected Mushroom album? For me I would have to go with Classical Mushroom.

9. Queen Aurora

Queen Aurora KOC addict

That's a tough one...

I like so much off Classical mushroom(and it is what caught my attention) but think for me the one I enjoy the most is the Legend of the black shawarna, Project 100, Franks and Slowly tend to be on the most :)

10. Stephen Palmer

Stephen Palmer Author of novels

Blood Of The Earth, Hawkwind.

11. 3rdI

3rdI Edema Ruh

Has Lateralus arrived yet? Very curious to see how you think it compares to 10,000 Days.

12. MattNY

MattNY Registered User

It has, though I haven't had time to listen to it yet. I don't want to listen to it without having some uninterrupted time from the wife or son and I am currently reading a book about the Saddam Hussein trials, which I don't think would necessarily lend well with music.

I hope to listen to it by the end of the week though and will definitely let you know my thoughts. It is the first time I have been excited to listen to an album in a few years now.

13. 3rdI

3rdI Edema Ruh

Yeah don't think it would flow well with that book lol Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the album. Artwork is cool as hell.

14. Westsiyeed

Westsiyeed The Fifth Dominion

Now playing: OSI's "Blood" - brilliant album.

15. 3rdI

3rdI Edema Ruh

np: Tool - Wings for Marie (Part One) / 10,000 Days (Wings Part 2)

The greatest song I have ever had the honor of listening to.

16. Westsiyeed

Right, I'm going to borrow 10,000 days and listen to the album a couple of times to see what it's like.

(In my younger days I had the Opiate EP and Undertow and absolutely loved both, but some reason drifted away from Tool after that)...

17. 3rdI

3rdI Edema Ruh

Right on. Opiate and Undertow are both superb. Not as technical as Aenima, Lateralus, or 10,000 Days by a long way but still fantastic in their own right. Aenima really showed just how remarkably talented they are. I loved Undertow but I remember the first time I listened to Aenima I was stunned by the time it was over. Never imagined an album could be that good.

And then of course Lateralus was released 5 years later and once again I was stunned. I had searched high and low for anything musically that could compare to Aenima. Lateralus did more than compare rather it exceeded in every possible way. Technical brilliance. Remarkable polyrhythms, crazy time signatures, masterfully executed.

Five years go by and then 10,000 Days was released. And while I loved it from day one it was rather harshly received by some in the Tool community. I think some fans were so captivated by Lateralus that maybe they expected a Lateralus part two...I am not entirely sure.

Ultimately 10,000 Days is the bands most musically complex work to date. Thankfully it wasn't a Lateralus Part Two it absolutely stands on its own. It is an album of extremes. Some of the heaviest music they have made as well as some of the lightest. It isn't as complete as Lateralus from start to finish rather it meanders on its own path while still maintaining the prevailing feel and tone throughout the album.

Every album is its own experience. It is interesting to see the evolution from Opiate to 10,000 Days. Anyway that is my two cents. Peace.

18. Westsiyeed

That sounds more appealing to me, will be checking it out.

19. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

20. Chuffalump

Chuffalump A chuffing heffalump

Still prefer the Johnny Cash version. :)

I've just reacquainted myself with the excellent album A Grand Don't Come for Free by The Streets and also Original Pirate Material by the same guy. Almost as good but has a few songs I'm not so keen on.