Now playing (music) thread.

Discussion in 'Other Media (TV/Film, Comics & Games)' started by Ramirez, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Corporal Blues

Corporal Blues I like to rock the party

Mike Patton

I've seen Mike Patton perform live 3 times. The first time was when I saw Fantomas open for Tool during the Lateralus tour. People were booing the whole time, and at one point Patton yelled, "If you don't like us, blame them (meaning Tool), 'cus they're the ones who asked us to open up for them!"

Saw him the second time with Tomahawk, and he sang half the set through a gas mask.

Third time with Fantomas again, in front of a very "intimate" crowd of about 200, and at one point in the show He tried to get the place completely silent by not doing anything for about 5 mintues. Every time someone would yell, or make a loud noise Lombardo would hit the cymbals to make note of the noise. Weird show.

All very memorable experiences.

2. Corporal Blues

Just pouring out a little bit of my metaphorical forty for Nate Dogg. It's been some long years since I listened to rap, but that guy had a cool voice, and pretty much anything he sung on was an instant hit.

3. 3rdI

3rdI Edema Ruh

Well said CP I feel kinda bummed as well. He had a unique voice and flow.

Dude its really cool having people like yourself, west, EA and MattyNYC to talk music with. Peace man.

Nate Dogg and Warren G came to regulate. RIP.

4. Kaeru

Kaeru Frog Lady

I love Metallica, they're the only band on the list that I own any albums for, I'm afraid I may offend 3rdI's sensibilities when I say I've never heard Tool. :p I don't think. Maybe I've heard some songs and don't know it.

5. Evil Agent

Evil Agent Saturn Comes Back Around

Anyone who hasn't heard Tool should watch this now!

They're not for everyone, but they are one of the most creative, talented, experimental hard rock bands of all time. I could ramble for hours about their greatness. :)

6. 3rdI

3rdI Edema Ruh

Hells yes. Ramble away my friend I am right there with ya!

7. Evil Agent

In the mid 90's, when I started discovering good rock music, I usually had a new favourite band each year. In 1994 it was Nirvana (saw them live!), in 1995 it was Soundgarden, in 1996 it was Metallica. But then, in 1997, I discovered Tool... and 15 years later they're still my favourite. They've stood the test of time.

Speaking of live music, I've seen a lot of amazing shows. I saw Michael Jackson when I was 4 years old, and Nirvana was my first rock concert (when I was 14). I've seen Soundgarden 3 times, Metallica 5 times, Tool 8 times, Jane's Addiction 3 times, and many, many more!

8. 3rdI

3rdI Edema Ruh

I hate crowds so concerts are rare. I have seen Tool four times, A Perfect Circle twice, Isis, Pelican and Tombs and a number of decent cover bands. I really have to like a band to go see them live. People generally piss me off, large crowds of people and crazy traffic pisses me off tenfold.

I like it when bands release live DVDs. I have both Opeth live DVDs, NIN, Meshuggah, a number of Pink Floyd and David Gilmour DVD's, and Isis. Concert experience without the drunk idiots.

And then of course what really sets me off is when a band plays a smaller venue and people decide to mash. Absolutely sets me off if I get bumped or god forbid hit.

9. Evil Agent

You sound exactly like a couple friends of mine, they hate crowds and hate moshpits. My best friend always stands at the back of the venue, to watch a show. I love to be up front, however (first row if possible) so I always get right in the pit. It helps if I'm a bit drunk; you don't feel the hits, and you have a lot more energy/aggression. :) But yeah, I've had my share of painful hits and it can definitely be very annoying.

I also love live DVDs (much more than live CDs), and I often put one on when I'm doing work around the house or just relaxing in the evening. I have good live DVDs by Led Zeppelin, Metallica, King Crimson, and a few others. It really sucks that Tool seems to be against putting out a live DVD, considering they're the best live band I've ever seen.

10. 3rdI

3rdI Edema Ruh

Honestly dude I stay out of pits because I know my temper. I would end up sending someone to the hospital just wouldn't be a good scene. I would however love to get front row at least once at a Tool show.

Dude there is so much good live Tool footage on Youtube just connect your pc to your stereo and you are set. A proper DVD would be nice though.

I am so envious of the people who got to see them during the Big Day Out shows in Australia. They freakin played You Lied they haven't played You Lied live since the Aenima tours.

11. Westsiyeed

Westsiyeed The Fifth Dominion

That is a good song, got it on my Triple J (Oz Radio station) Hottest 100 Cd from that year.

Yeah, mentioned earlier in this thread to 3rd how my mates and I were so full on into "Undertow" and the "Opiate EP" (when they came out), but I sort of moved onto other bands later. This thread reignited my interest and I'm really liking "10,000 Days", so will have to check out the other albums since too.

Ha ha, sounds like me EA, exactly the same bands in the 90's. Saw Nirvana but Kurt had bad stomach issues so it wasn't the best. :(

Don't get to see as many bands in Oz, but have seen Porcupine Tree twice, Metallica, Ramones (sore ears for a day or 2), Slayer, Monster Magnet, Radiohead, heaps of local bands and been to numerous Big Day Outs. I used to like getting in the front and moving about a bit, but these days I prefer to stand towards the back.

PS Soundgarden's "Badmotorfinger" is also brilliant. Rusty Cage and Outshined = :eek:

12. 3rdI

3rdI Edema Ruh

Ah dude you are so lucky I would have paid a ridiculous amount of money to have seen the Brisbane show. Not the BDO one but Tool did a separate show in Brisbane and from what I read it was one of their best shows ever. Danny Carey's girlfriend Rhynne said it was one of their top five best shows. They played You Lied and Right in Two. Soooo freakin lucky.

13. Evil Agent

3rdI,

You may hate me forever, but I saw them play "You Lied" at my first Tool show. Portland, 1998. :)

However, I always wanted to hear "Third Eye" (they played Flood instead, on that 1998 show) but I didn't see it until 12 years later (at my 8th show, last year, when they opened with it. Best night of my life!).

14. Corporal Blues

Where do you guys stand on Maynard James Keenan's side projects like A Perfect Circle and Puscifer?

I've never really been an APC fan. There music never really caught my attention. Seemed like APC was more about Billy Howerdel getting his music out there.

Never listened to Puscifer.

15. 3rdI

3rdI Edema Ruh

You are so lucky. That is awesome dude. Every Tool show is unique I cannot pick one that resonated more than the others. I am glad I got to see them play Wings live as that is my favorite Tool song.

16. 3rdI

3rdI Edema Ruh

APC is fantastic. Mer de Noms and Thirteenth Step are superb albums. Emotive was okay.

I like Puscifer. It is very different than anything else MJK has done. I think he is improving as the last EP he put out was miles better than the first Puscifer album.

Check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-4FUrhQR8g

17. Corporal Blues

Wow, thanks for the linkage 3rdI! That song is pretty awesome! MJK's voice is pretty amazing...not to mention his song writing ability.

I should clarify what I said earlier about APC. When I said I've never really been a fan, I mean: I don't listen to them on a regular basis like I do my favorite bands. I like and respect their music, have seen them live twice, but it isn't like, a go-to band for me. More like something I'll put in the stereo when I need a change of pace.

18. Westsiyeed

Westsiyeed The Fifth Dominion

I'm the same, I've got Mer de Noms which I quite like, but never progressed further.

That is very cool, Maynard's voice is quite suited to the slow, rolling song. Which EP is this from 3rd?

19. 3rdI

3rdI Edema Ruh

"C" Is for (Please insert Sophomoric Genitalia Reference Here) E.P.

All the puscifer album/ep names are humorous.

www.puscifer.com

20. Evil Agent

My favourite APC album is The Thirteenth Step.