October/Halloween Recommendations

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by ensignoftheunit, Sep 19, 2012.

1. raggedyman

raggedyman Registered User

A stop at Charles Grant's Oxrun Station is perfect for this time of year. You can get the whole series for your kindle or nook so you won't have to search used bookstores. I'm also making a side trip to my old alma mater , Miskatonic University , to pick up a copy of Brett j. Talley's "That Which Should Not Be" and if I have enough time its on to Pine Deep for Jonathan Maberry's "Ghost Road Blues".:eek:

2. nuttz96

nuttz96 Registered User

I read a few young adult books from a series called Wardstone Chronicles(The Last Apprentice in the US). I remember them being quite good and creepy beyond its target audience. Should be perfect for those looking for a lighter read while still embracing the Halloween horror spirit.

3. Randy M.

Randy M. Registered User

That's a good point, and it's part of what I like about short stories: If one doesn't suit your mood, go to another.

Other lighter works that would make good October/Halloween reading:
    Peter Beagle: Tamsin; his short stories "Come, Lady Death" & "Lila the Werewolf"
    Neil Gaiman: Coraline & The Graveyard Book & Neverwhere & Smoke and Mirrors (a collection)

Randy M.

4. RedMage

RedMage There is no tomorrow

This is funny. PeteMC just recommended this to me over in the Bad Monsters Written Well thread in the Writing Forum. Haha! Maybe I will pick it up sooner than I was planning and try to actually read it during this next month. Thanks!