Playstation 3

Discussion in 'Other Media (TV/Film, Comics & Games)' started by Gregorius_H, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Gregorius_H

Gregorius_H Lord of Wallumbilla

I just read somewhere that sony's processor for the PS3 going to work at 4.6ghz. HOLY BEJEESUS CHRIST! That is if its not just a big hype machine.

I wonder what things developer's could do with 4.6ghz? Then again... I know exactly what they're going to do with that. Another GTA, a few more GTA clones, some more Metal Gear, some more fighting games, more of the same. Perhaps this increase in power can not only provide better cosmetics, but can it actually open up new gameplay possibilities? Can it allow for some truly original ideas?

Here's hoping...

2. Monty Mike

Monty Mike Journalist

Oh yeah, it's gonna be amazing.... just a matter of when it comes out (I think 2007), and as long as they keep the Final Fantasies coming, it's all good for me ;)

3. Gregorius_H

Gregorius_H Lord of Wallumbilla

Amen on the final fantasy thing.

4. kater

kater Filthy Assistants!

I think 2007 is at least a year too late. The only solid facts regarding PS3 I've seen is that the chipset is being made by Nvidia, is supposedly the newest GeoForce, and is set for late 2005 production - fitting in with a timeframe for PS3 release in mid-2006.
    Bear in mind this could all change if Microsoft steal a march on Sony with a big X-Box 2 announcement.

5. Lowrent

Lowrent Registered User

Ps3 will have to allow for games already in production, I doubt it will have top of the line graphics when its released for that reason alone.

6. Merancapeman

Merancapeman Zombie Glomp

It's not. Internet games will reign in the PS3 because of the low amount of people playing online for the PS2. They want to jump up the amount of net players. The good news is that they will continue to make PS2 games while the PS3 is out, unlike the old PSone.

7. Monty Mike

Monty Mike Journalist

In the near future there may actually be real-life games like the .hack series, with millions of players online in one big game. That would be immense. :D

8. kater

kater Filthy Assistants!

Not necessarily, most of the major third-party companies got handed development kits to get started but with production of the new GeForce completed by christmas, supposedly, there may be at least a few months for developers to code for extra speed and capacity. Plus I would imagine the big companies got development kits that had or soon will have prototype copies of the new board. There are so many rumours out there at the moment, its hard to tell - have you seen some of the 'pictures' of the PS3? :)

9. Solaar

Solaar The Good

I heard it was due late next year.

Solaar
    with an ear to the ground

10. Lowrent

Lowrent Registered User

Last edited: Feb 6, 2005
  11. Monty Mike

Monty Mike Journalist

The one at the very bottom looks really good, but the stand-up silver one reminds me of an industrial appliance....

12. kater

kater Filthy Assistants!

Ha - thanks Lowrent :) I haven't seen some of those before, the logo I have seen and is quite clever. That silver one looks like an industrial torch, it will be interesting to see the design because the PS1 and PS2 were quite different. I guess it depends on what Sony are including all together regarding media and ports, as well as the possibility of a HDD which would make it a bit more chunky like the X-Box.

13. Eurytus

Eurytus Banned

I certainly will not believe a single thing written about the Playstation 3 chip. I still remember the ludicrous claims made about Playstation 2's Emotion Chip and how it would be able to give every single member of the crowd at a sporting event a different emotional reaction to the match, all with different expressions.

The fact that early games looked pretty similar to Playstation 1 games was not exactly overwhelming.

14. kater

kater Filthy Assistants!

My apologies to Gregorious_H - the recent Solid States Circuits Conference in San Francisco has just displayed the PS3's 'Cell' chip and it does run at a frightening 4Ghz :eek: So sorry Greg. Sony also announced that the PS3 will appear before E3 in May but not at the Game Dveleoper's Conference in March, so everyone can have a good look at the next-gen platform fairly soon.

15. Dominus

Dominus Acolyte of Cainism

What no one has mentioned yet is that the PS3 is planned to have 4 cell processors in it, meaning that by today's standards it would be classified as a supercomputer. :)

16. saintjon

saintjon Illustrious Gambler

Man for my money the damn graphics are good enough, I wish they'd work with what they've got for longer than they do nowadays. They still seem to be innovating plenty on the current platforms, and seriously part of the big problem with video games nowadays is too much focus on graphics, not enough on gameplay. Throwing out new platforms and forcing programmers to learn to swim with new hardware every few years seems to me to be LESSENING the chance of the kind of golden age we had when the Super Nintendo ruled all.

Edit: boo-urns to FF. Square is running out of ideas and they can't bang out a soundtrack like they used to. I'd rather play other rpgs like the Suikoden series.

17. kater

kater Filthy Assistants!

I dunno its tough, most consoles get four to five years before being replaced which isn't bad going I think. The trouble is the rush to get games out there to feed the market, there really are too many firms that push through crap which brings the overall level of quality down. Games really has become a mass market and like the movies experienced, there is really now a pressure to make a buck first and fun comes a distant second. I saw the Sega Sonic collection today and man that took me back, I remember getting the first one and it was awesome. Then it went 3-D and I lost all interest. Hopefully the Cell will be the final innovation in chip design for a good few years and we can look forward to some good second and third-gen releases. It will be interesting to see what Ninty do with Revolution, it could be wild.

18. Monty Mike

Monty Mike Journalist

Strange, it wasn't until the N64 came out that I became really interested in games, the change from 2D to 3D was huge, although I always loved the likes of Duck Hunt, Street Fighter, and Super Mario on the NES.

Regarding future gaming, I hear Virtual Reality programmes are going to dominate in the next 20 years, how true or not it is I don't know.

19. juzzza

juzzza Loveable Rogue

[​IMG]

Here she is. 10 times faster than current PC processors. The developers say it is a super computer on a chip!!!

20. kater

kater Filthy Assistants!

Virtual Reality 'dominating' has been a concept for years, there were a slew of films in the early 90's like Tron, Lawnmower Man, Virtuosity etc which convinced people this was the next step (The Matrix did nothing to harm the idea) and it may well be at some indefinite point in the future but what I think is the problem is there are currently serious costs involved which prevent mass production. I've seen a few cluncky headsets around but nothing to really convince that its either imminent or likely to get a stranglehold on gaming. Can you imagine coming home from a night out and trying to play a VR game? I'd be ill, ill, ill :D