Post your Progress Thread

Discussion in 'Writing' started by PaxNoctis, Apr 6, 2004.

1. PeteMC

PeteMC @PeteMC666

Finally got off my butt and started querying again. <sigh> here we go again...

2. Andrew Leon Hudson

Andrew Leon Hudson and Noumenon was his name

Finished Part One of my WIP, approximately 36,500 words. Already looking forward to Part Two...

3. JRMurdock

JRMurdock Where have I been?

Just had a little writing binge to finish off a 6000 word short story (3200 words tonight. WOO!)

Will let it sit for a week before edits and getting it out into the wild.

Next up, this month's flash fiction contest!

4. N. E. White

N. E. White It could be worse. ~tmso Staff Member

I just finished the outline of book two (of what I think will be a trilogy) and getting ready to write it (along with editing the first).

Not sure I'll make it to any of the contests this month. :(

5. Wilson Geiger

Wilson Geiger Greymane

Awesome! Feel free to contact me if you need anything!

I feel you on the contests. After the anthology contest, and maybe a quick flash-fic, I've got to concentrate on my planned novel. Basic outline, research, plotting, fleshing out characters, and then writing time. I'm not sure I'll have much time left to get much in as far as contests, at least not for a bit.

6. PeteMC

PeteMC @PeteMC666

Nice one! Are you still on your Spanish-esque thing (that was you, wasn't it?) or is this something different?

7. N. E. White

Yes, that was me, and yes, still on my Spanish-esque thing. :) I've been working on it since 2009 (just realized). And I'm aiming to finish the (insert copious amounts of expletives) beasts in...let's say 2015. I hope.

The sad part is - the books will probably come out mediocre. (sigh) Ah, well. Gotta keep trying! Once I'm done with these, I have a dragon, Asian-inspired, woman warrior story I'm anxious to work on. :)

8. PeteMC

PeteMC @PeteMC666

Indeed! Something I've noticed - the more I work on, tweak, edit, re-read and re-tweak something of mine, the more crap I think it is. It's a trick of the mind, I'm sure it is! :) From what I read of your Spanish-esque Thing (tm) it's not bad at all, so don't lose heart!

Oooooh, now that sounds fun!

9. JRMurdock

JRMurdock Where have I been?

Been on a short story submission spree lately. Currently have 5 stories out, 4 with major magazines and waiting, one in round 3 for Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine. It's an exciting time.

Now, off to go make some more words happen! WOO WOO!

10. warfitz45

warfitz45 Witness

My short story, "The Ghost Bounty Hunter" made it to the long list of 30 (out of around 1700 entries) for the Fantasy Faction Anthology. It's not a done deal, as only 6 finalist will be included. Regardless of that outcome though, this gives me some hope that I have something w/ this short story (which could easily be turned into a novella or even full-fledged novel).

http://fantasywritingcontest.com/2012/10/long-list-36-forums/

11. Triceratops

Triceratops Browser

Came off a two-day free trial period for The War Gate and made some sales. Just dropped the price to $1.99, hoping it picks up some more.

I now have 39 submissions out to some pretty good houses, many of which pay at least a token advance and higher. So the waiting begins on that. Trying to gain some steam in my content writing for DMS and Textbroker. Many quite a bit of money last month, but it's slowed down a little now.

chris

12. N. E. White

That's great, Tri! If I may ask, how many books/short stories/what-nots do you have for sale at the moment?

13. Triceratops

Triceratops Browser

I made some sales last month, is what I meant to say--you never get huge cash dumps for books unless they're bestsellers.

Thanks for asking, tmso.

I have the novel Planet Janitor Custodian of the Stars and its two prequel short called Planet Janitor Journey Interrupted and Planet Janitor the Moon is not Enough.

The Wolfen Strain
    , a Crichton-esque werewolf book--thriller

And The War Gate, a paranormal romance/thriller.

One link (below), and then clicking on my name should bring them all up at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Janito...?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1330380990&sr=1-2

14. MrBF1V3

MrBF1V3 aka. Stephen B5 Jones

The years, how they fly!

Submitted a novel to a publisher that warns they would take up to a year to consider.

Received a rejection e-mail within six hours.

...wondering if there's a message in this.

B5

15. PeteMC

PeteMC @PeteMC666

I think the message is probably "their slush pile was nearly empty". Who was it?

16. roozmarry871

roozmarry871 Registered User

good sharing thanks for this really really good sharing.. keep it up..

17. MrBF1V3

MrBF1V3 aka. Stephen B5 Jones

Marcher Lord Press.

It's like when your kid is the first one eliminated in dodge ball. I'm sure I'll get over it pretty quick, but it never hurts to question, to reassess and to improve.

It is a story I'd really like to see in print though...

B5

18. kmtolan

kmtolan KMTolan

When you get that rejection back fast...

Simply means they are not reading any submissions at all - just turning them around. You never even got looked at, so don't bother wondering what "went wrong".

Kerry

19. Wilson Geiger

Wilson Geiger Greymane

I am indeed strained. :)

OT: Glad to see the work paying off. I am hard at work writing scenes/chapters for my work-in-progress. Not ready to reveal too much at the moment, but very happy with how it's turning out so far, even though I know I will probably need serious revision once I get it finished.

20. Wilson Geiger

Wilson Geiger Greymane

Now over 5,000 words into my novel, and for the first time I have a good, general layout of how this story will play out. I'm prepared to branch off if the characters demand it, but it's been nice getting a process down that works for me. After years of reading how-to books, I never thought it would turn out so simple in comparison: I just had to start at the end, find a beginning, and then figure out how the characters got from point A to point Z. It sounds simple now, to me, but I labored for years trying to make it linear, and I just couldn't get it going.