Post your Progress Thread

Discussion in 'Writing' started by PaxNoctis, Apr 6, 2004.

1. wdavidson

wdavidson WordDruid

Too true! For me I had a plot clearly in mind but every time I came to write it the story kept wanting to go off in different directions. My problem was not having enough confidence in my knowledge of the characters to "let" them branch off, in the way that you are talking about. Once I had that, everything became more simple.

I say "simple", but of course everything's relative. Because of other commitments it has still taken me two years' slog to get to the point where I have a finished and edited version of the book that I am happy enough with to think about submitting. Still the satisfaction of finally being able to write "The End" at the end, and mean it, is not to be underestimated!

Sillak - have you had much interest in your short story? I have wondered whether something like that would be a good promotional tool if/when I ever have something to promote...

2. Wilson Geiger

Wilson Geiger Greymane

Close to 8,000 words down now, and very close to the most I've ever written on a dedicated piece. As a notorious 'start but never finish' guy, this is new ground for me; I'm pumped.

3. juzzza

juzzza Loveable Rogue

20,000 words into my new fantasy, 'Islander'.

Anyone up for test reading five chapters? Happy to swap time and effort in kind.

4. theonefirestorm

theonefirestorm Registered User

Almost finished the first page of the super hero book in a alien super hero book series I am writing. This was mainly inspired by Daniel X.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  5. N. E. White

N. E. White tmso Staff Member

I might be interested. But not until the beginning of next year. :(

6. N. E. White

N. E. White tmso Staff Member

Cool beans! Keep going. :)

7. juzzza

juzzza Loveable Rogue

Hit me up when you are ready.

8. TheFreshPenOfTO

TheFreshPenOfTO New Member

Hahaha what are you going to do with those rejections? I would pin them on a blackboard, so that when your book is successful, you know who were dead wrong about it and get a good chuckle when you read them later.

9. Window Bar

Window Bar We Read for Light

Just blew through 140,000 words, and there are plenty more to come. Second draft will probably be an exercise in architecture: how to divide the chapters at a semi-satisfying point so it can hit the pavement as a two-wheeler. What an irony--the book began as a novelette. Has anyone ever noticed how rebellious one's characters can be? They create new alliances and stir up trouble, often while the author sleeps.

10. Carlyle Clark

Carlyle Clark Registered User

Don't I know it. Just sent a 130,000 word beast to the editor that I'd planned to be a nice little 80,000 worder, and that after great swathing cuts of unncessary scenes and prose. Hopefuly, it all pays off in a richer story.

11. Window Bar

Window Bar We Read for Light

We're counting on it.

12. Wilson Geiger

Wilson Geiger Greymane

I've decided to switch things up for NaNoWriMo, so I'm pausing my current novel work for the month. I'm writing a new story for November, and I'm pretty excited to get going. My story revolves around my most favorite of fantastic creatures: werewolves. :)

Currently the plot and outlines are in progress. Hopefully it's all ready to go for November 1st.

13. PeteMC

PeteMC @PeteMC666

Actually working on the WIP for once - I'm the best part of 30k in and trying to stop my plot from eating itself. The characters are fine, they're supposed to eat each other, but the plot is not behaving itself...

14. PeteMC

PeteMC @PeteMC666

I will if you like. I've got 30k-ish of contemporary dark fantasy WIP that could do with a second pair of eyes if you fancy swapping.

15. theonefirestorm

theonefirestorm Registered User

First of the 2nd Alien Super Hero Book is almost done.

I know what the second chapter will be, and I decided to use Names for Chapters.

16. kongming

kongming www.voxnewman.com

Fey Tales nearly finished. 7 vignettes (or Brief Epics as I'm now calling them) complete. 2 more to go. Hoping to finish with the editing early in the New Year

17. kmtolan

kmtolan KMTolan

Milestone on "Tracks"

A year's worth of effort is done - the second draft of my upcoming American fantasy "Tracks" is complete! Now that the "wire frame" so to speak is done (plot and characters), I get to turn black and white into color in so far as breathing more life into both the descriptions and characters. This third draft rapidly gets transformed by my reading group into a final submission draft for my editor. For those curious, here's the expected blurb:

When he was twelve, Vincent watched his younger sister get swept away by a steam locomotive riding rails that vanished along with her. Now, ten years later, Vincent rediscovers those tracks, and heads down them to bring her back.

Hope to have this finished by mid-2013.

Kerry

18. Wilson Geiger

Wilson Geiger Greymane

Congrats Kerry, kongming and theonefirestorm!

Still hard at work on the NaNo project that has taken over for my primary novel, at least for the time being. I hate not finishing something, and the book still has several chapters to be written, even after the 50,000 words.

19. JRMurdock

JRMurdock Where have I been?

Holy Carp Juzzza! You're still here :) Nice to see the old crew hasn't faded into the woodwork.

20. JRMurdock

JRMurdock Where have I been?