Prador Moon: highly recommended

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by suciul, Jun 23, 2006.

1. suciul

suciul Read interesting books

Hi,

Just finished Prador Moon and though it is shorter than the other novels, it is very good. Non stop action here with memorable new characters Prador, human, golem and AI. We also get to see Occam's Razor and Cpt. Tomalan taking on Prador dreadnoughts that easily have overwhelmed Polity's first line of defence.
    I think this one shows Mr. Asher at top form and I await now eagerly Polity Agent.
    Very highly recommended.

Liviu

2. nealasher

nealasher Neal Asher

Thanks for that! It seems to be hitting the spot with many and thus far Night Shade Books are pleased with the sales.

3. Hobbit

Hobbit Now.. A Seriously Likeable Administrator Staff Member

Forgot to mention: my review's up: HERE.

It's a good 'un. :)

Hobbit

4. nealasher

nealasher Neal Asher

5. nealasher

nealasher Neal Asher

Good news on the selling front. Via Jeremy Lassen’s blog I’ve learnt that Prador Moon is on the SFF best seller list at Borderlands Books and that this is not the first time it had been there.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2006
  6. Hobbit

That's good news, Neal.

Are there any developments on a UK / Europe release? I got a Night Shade copy pretty easily, but some might find it easier to get in Europe with a UK one.

Hobbit

7. nealasher

nealasher Neal Asher

No developments on a UK release, though the book is obtainable through amazon.com and (I think) at Forbidden Planet bookshop. My British publisher asked me to retain the British rights so the ting could be included in a collection at some point.

http://theskinner.blogspot.com/

8. nealasher

nealasher Neal Asher

Here's the front cover of the Macmillan British version of Prador Moon.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  9. JonLaidlow

JonLaidlow 42 words per month...

aha! So it does have a UK release forthcoming! Excellent (although I did see the US paperback in my local Waterystones recently, but the cash was not available....)

J

10. nealasher

nealasher Neal Asher

Jon, since the picture here is from a dust jacket, that means the book is going to be produced as a hard back, which also probably means it'll be more expensive than the Night Shade version - until the paperback comes out a year later.

11. chitman13

chitman13 Staff

Great, can't wait for this (and Hilldiggers of course!). I've considered buying the american paperback, but I've got this thing about books/authors that I like and buying all books in Hardback (much to the displeasure of my girlfriend who always asks if I have to spend that much on a book!) - this will make a great addition to my collection!

12. nealasher

nealasher Neal Asher

Thank you very much Chitman13 (what does that name mean?) I have to come clean here and say that even though my books are published in hardback, I don't personally buy them. Now this isn't because I'm tight or anything, but simply because of lack of space -- I'd need another house!

13. chitman13

chitman13 Staff

I hear what you're saying about lack of space, my bookshelf is now slowly filling up with the books I have - never mind about the ones coming out this year alone that I'll be adding to the pile. I can hear the shelves creaking in protest already :s It doesn't help that most books I buy can usually be mistaken for bricks simply due to the size of them...

As for my screen name - it's one of those things that I picked out thin air when first registering an email address many years ago - my surname is Chitty, I'm a bloke and my lucky number is 13. It's sort of stuck with me ever since :)

All the best
    Mark

14. nealasher

nealasher Neal Asher

Sorry, bugger, we've chatted before and I know your name is Mark Chitty. I wasn't thinking when I wrote that.

I recently converted my loft into a bit of a library, but if all the books up there were hard backs I'd have to think about strengthening the floor.

15. chitman13

chitman13 Staff

Hehe, no worries Neal!

16. nealasher

nealasher Neal Asher

Well, here’s some nice news. According to Jason Williams of Night Shade Books, my gore-fest-of-flesh-eating-aliens book, Prador Moon, is their second-best selling title. I immediately inquired who was their best seller. I don’t mind … I don’t mind coming second best to Ian M Banks. (hur hur)

Oh, and here’s another thing that’s been brought to my notice: The Top 10 SF writers of the 00’s. I’m not sure this list means much, but it’s nice to see that someone thinks like this!

Final bit of news. I’ve handed in Line War to Macmillan and am now turning my attention to another –short– book for Night Shade’s. This one will be about Cormac’s early years.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  17. Hobbit

Thanks for the update, Neal. It'll be good to see Prador Moon out in a UK edition soon.

Are there any differences between the UK edition and the Nightshade edition, apart from the cover?

Mark / Hobbit

18. nealasher

nealasher Neal Asher

Hello Hobbit.

Well, I'm hoping the copy editor at Macmillan will give it the once over, but beyond that there'll be no change.

cheers

(oops, I've put in the missing hyperlinks above)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  19. gaiusbaltar

gaiusbaltar polity agent

well you're in my top ten of all time...... hmmm that's interesting - cormac's early years - should be good :) we're not going to find out he's jebel krong with a mind-wipe are we? ;)

actually i'd love to see something else from you set during the prador war, although i guess jebel's interest waned with the demise of immanence, i'd love it if you did something else with him :)