Quibbles (PROBABLE SPOILERS!! Non-readers, play safe and stay out)

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by kged, May 11, 2011.

1. 3rdI

3rdI Edema Ruh

My only real quibble is The Others. HBO totally screwed that up.

From GOT, Pages 8 and 9

"A shadow emerged from the dark of the wood. It stood in front of Royce. Tall, it was, and gaunt and hard as old bones, with flesh pale as milk. Its armor seemed to change color as it moved, here it was white as new-fallen snow, there black as shadow, everywhere dappled with the deep grey-green of the trees. The patterns ran like moonlight on water with every step it took."

"The Other slid forward on silent feet. In its hand was a longsword like none that Will had ever seen. No human metal had gone into the forging of that blade. It was alive with moonlight, translucent, a shard of crystal so thin that it seemed almost to vanish when seen edge-on. There was a faint blue shimmer to the thing, a ghost-light that played around its edges, and somehow Will knew it was sharper than any razor."

Why HBO changed that is beyond me. Martin's description of The Others is superb. It has been so many years since I have read GOT that I forgot just how cool that section was. The HBO Others are almost comical in comparison.

2. 3rdI

3rdI Edema Ruh

Word. SRSLY. The direwolves are one of the most important aspects of the story.

3. Palfrey

Palfrey Registered User

No, and I couldn't help but notice it didn't go over his eyes either.

4. Luya Sevrein

Luya Sevrein Humble Grifter

Gold is a pretty flimsey metal. Having said that it's melting point is is 1337.33 K, 1064.18 °C, 1947.52 °F on estimate.

But, like we heard, some cities pay tribute to the Dothraki and with them being 'uneducated savages' and all, they likely just plated or painted the stuff. xD

5. Ryuujin

Ryuujin New Member

I don't think we actually saw one of the Others in the opening scene to GOT, just the wights. IIRC, I don't think we see anything but wights through the rest of the books so far, so it makes sense for HBO to hold off on designing an appearance and special effects for them now if they're not going to use them again for years, assuming the series lasts that long. It's similar to the reasoning for leaving out someone like...

...who is completely non-essential to the trip to The Eyrie. Why cast and establish his character now when he doesn't appear again until near the end of ASOS?

I'd chalk that up to screenwriter error. Most of the large scale troop movements described in the books seemed to be in the 10-40k man range, with the largest being around 100k. Though, given the pace at which the "smallfolk" are being killed...

----

My biggest quibble with the series so far has been the extraneous sex/nudity scenes - such as the manscaping scene and pretty much anything with Ros. I'd count them among the weakest scenes in the series. The sex + exposition combo just made them feel silly at times, and probably undermined the information being delivered, particularly in the Littlefinger scene. That's just the influence of HBO, I suppose, and only a small downside given they have the freedom to make other, more important scenes the right way.

To be fair, an example of this done right was the Viserys/Doreah scene where they took a Tyrion/Jon conversation from the book (about the dragon skulls) and gave it to Viserys to give him more screen time. It works out since they gave Tyrion a bunch of other characters' dialogue at the Wall, such as Donal Noye's lecture about Jon's training advantage.

6. kged

kged Gloriam Imperator

This isn't a quibble - it's just so weird that I don't know where to put it, so here will do. Re-reading AGoT, I came across a passage that has my set little mind awhirl with nightmarish Darwinian visions. Dany and the khalasar are riding across Essos, heading for Vaes Dothrak:

"For half a moon, they rode through the Forest of Qohor, where the leaves made a golden canopy high above them, and the trunks of the trees were as wide as city gates. There were great elk in that wood, and spotted tigers, and lemurs with silver fur and huge purple eyes..."

Is this a hint at Targaryens having some different evolutionary path to everyone else?!

7. Stenny

Stenny Registered User

I had no idea that Renly and Loras were together, and I'm half way through book three! Only after I saw it on screen did I pick up on the very vague hints, but if I hadn't seen it I probabaly still wouldn't have realised.

The thing that bothered me was the very first episode, where it was the young lad from the Knight's watch that Ned beheaded, as it was supposed to be the old guy which led Ned to question more why he had deserted as he was a very loyal member of the Knights watch and it seemed unlikely he would desert, and therefore making his argument of the others more believable, whereas the young lad was new to it all.

I also blieved that Catelyn was supposed to be beautiful. I thought Sansa could have been a bit prettier too, and Cersei, she was supposed to be a great beauty, however, their acting (except maybe Sansa's) is brilliant.

The different ages bothered me as I think their age is quite important in the books, I mean Sansa is only supposed to be 12, and she looks 16 and as tall as full grown women. Arya, Bran and Rickon are all older, and even say their ages, which are all older than they should be, but then I suppose because they are older they're better actors.

I do love the series though and I'm looking forward to the next, and I think Sean Bean and Mark Addy were great choices. and it sticks to the books quite well, but does unveil some new things I wasn't aware of.

8. Luya Sevrein

Luya Sevrein Humble Grifter

You can write what you like, especailly in a fantastical or historical setting where the rules are different. But some of the things the kids will endure won't make for good viewing because people will find it 'offensive', and complain. So, up their age a bit, all sorted.

...People will still PROBABLY complain. xD