Reading AFFC and ADWD together

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by chokipokilo, Jul 15, 2012.

1. chokipokilo

chokipokilo Unreasonable reasoner

I'm sure I saw something about this before but I couldn't find it. I've been rereading the series to get ready to read ADWD, but I figured instread of reading AFFC first I could do both at the same time since they are supposed to be about the same time frame. Does anyone know if someone has already mapped out which chapters to read in which order for this to work best?

Thanks.

2. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

This seems to be the most popular one:

3. chokipokilo

chokipokilo Unreasonable reasoner

thanks werthead

4. Tytus

Tytus New Member

Just curious... Why do you skip ch7 and 41 and come back to them. Its been a while since i have read Feast, as have all of us I assume. If the post is spoilered please message me if someone knows the answer to this or at least hide the answer in a spolier expansion.

thanks

5. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

To preserve a surprise in AFFC (only a spoiler if you haven't read AFFC):

The revelation that Quentyn is on his way to Daenerys and that Doran Martell is planning to ally with her. Doing it this way preserves the surprise by having the classic, "Fire and blood," ending to the Arianne chapter in question, and then immediately jumps to Quentyn's first ADWD chapter.

Otherwise, you'd read Quentyn's chapter before reaching that Arianne chapter and the surprise would be lost.

6. Jussi

Jussi Registered User

Martin's POV list for early draft of A Feast for Crows (first 32 chapters):

I find it interesting that there aren't any Bran, Davos or Theon chapters. Who is the King's Brother?

7. SisterChristian

SisterChristian Registered User

Maybe it's Victarion.

Aeron would also qualify as "king's brother". Both of them have POV chapters.

8. gesler0811

gesler0811 Registered User

Wow, this is a great idea. I recently finished Feast for Crows but have not yet read Dance with Dragons. I actually thought maybe Martin did that on purpose, withholding information about some of the characters, like Tyrion. To me, wondering what happened to him and where he was put a great deal of suspense back into the series for me.

Then I got to the author's note at the end and found out that the book was just too big so he took out all the chapters about the people who were currently away from Westeros, and was going to put them in the next book, and I felt a little deflated, like it lost something. Am I the only one who thought it would have been awesome if he had done that on purpose because we weren't supposed to know Tyrion's fate right away?

Anyway, I am now thinking about re-reading AFFC so I can read them together like told in this thread. Sounds like a great approach. Thanks for the work, whoever compiled that list!

9. Werthead

Werthead Registered User

He tended to leave Bran chapters until later in the writing process, as he finds writing Bran more difficult than any other character. Getting into the mindset of a 9-year-old cripple warg greenseer isn't very easy. Davos's storyline I think he wrote in a very short burst, with all of them done pretty quickly, possibly later in the process or even after the split.

The King's Brother is likely an earlier form of the chapter 'The Reaver'.

What's more interesting are the chapters missing from the final version of AFFC. There's only one Samwell chapter, for example.

10. Jussi

Jussi Registered User

This is only the list of the first 32 chapters of the original AFfC (early draft). I believe there would have been more Sam chapters in the latter half of the book.

Martin said in an interview that Tyrion's storyline would have ended in Volantis in the original AFfC.