Reading in April 2012

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Hobbit, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Erfael

Erfael Lemurs!!! Staff Member

I meant to read D'Arnath now in order to go through her stuff chronologically, but all the love I've been seeing for the Lighthouse Duet made me jump that one ahead. So for me, no...not yet.

2. DDCOrange

DDCOrange Registered User

I love this series! It's even better than the related Discworld books! :)

3. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

It is. Discworld tends to not be really inconsistent for me (well... I've only read the City Watch stuff bar Snuff, Amazing Maurice and The Wee Free Men), but these Tiffany Aching books seem pretty good from what I've read, and I think part of that's due to Sir Pratchett distancing itself from the majority of the Discworld stuff.

Once I've done A Hat Full of Sky, I'll take a little break and then go into the first Witches book (Equal Rites?)

4. DragonReader

DragonReader Registered User

Now reading A Darkness Forged in Fire, book 1 of the Iron Elves, by Chris Evans

5. Haliax

Haliax Registered User

I hope you enjoy that one more than I did, I couldn't get past the first 30ish pages.

I'm reading Death Masks, continuing with the Dresden Files series. Its been pretty good so far.

6. PeterWilliam

PeterWilliam Omnibus Prime

No. I have one book from her Collegia Magica series, but can't even remember which one. D'Arnath will probably be my next Berg series, if I don't pick up her stand alone first.

Just finished Destiny of the Sword by Dave Duncan. It was a very good end to the series. Even up against the epilogue, I was somewhat concerned and uncertain about how things would unfold between the MC and his 'side-kick' - which ends up being the very heart of the story. As a series, it was a portal fantasy to a world that blended several elements of ancient Japanese, Hindu and Chinese cultures. It centered around a society and culture that was exiting its own 'Age of Legends' and heading toward its first empire. It that sense, it was reminiscient of pre- and early Imperial China. While not superb, it was distinctly better than average.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  7. PogiRunner

PogiRunner Registered User

Just finished The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson.

While some scenes were brilliant, overall, I did not enjoy this installment of the series as much as previous volumes.

Comparing to both House of Chains and Midnight Tides, I felt The Bonehunters also started out slow followed by a fast paced climax converging multiple story lines. Unfortunately, unlike with HoC and MT, I did not feel 'rewarded' upon finishing.

I was bothered by the constant multiple point of view jumping throughout the entire book, especially during the Y’Ghatan scenes. Ironically, I did not mind this POV jumping with Gardens of the Moon, but it definitely annoyed me here. I appreciated the increased cohesive plot storytelling in both HoC and MT, and feel The Bonehunters is a step backwards in need of additional editing.

I still love the world Erikson and Esslemont created and plan to eventually read Reaper’s Gale and possibly Return of the Crimson Guard. However, I am losing interest as the last two books I have read of the series have been my least favorites, Night of Knives (about a year ago) and The Bonehunters.

Memories of Ice remains my favorite so far.

8. konowa

konowa New Member

This was the first fantasy book I read. I almost gave up on it but, after 50-60 pages it hooked me. I figured I would use Konowa as my forum name since that was the book that got me started on fantasy. I liked it and have read the second book as well. I may start the 3rd soon, however, I just started reading Lynch.

By the way, my first post, been around for a little while just don't find much time to converse.

9. Zsinj

Zsinj Registered User

Recently finished "Devil's Tower" by Mark Sumner and absolutely loved it! I loved the blending of fantasy and western and that characters were very easy to love, and also to hate, LOL. I thought it was very original and I'm now reading it's sequel, "Devil's Engine" and am thoroughly enjoying it as well. It features a character in it I've long been intrigued by; Buffalo Bill Cody.

10. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

11. sullivan_riyria

sullivan_riyria Creator of Worlds

IIFC that was one of the Amazon Crossing books where they translated foreign books for the English market. Amazon did a nice job promoting it and they sold a ton of copies.

12. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

You are correct Michael. As I say in my linked blog post, the book is a beautiful thing.

I read a few more chapters of it during my lunch break and I continue to be intrigued by where the Oliver Pötzsch is taking the story.

13. Hobbit

Hobbit Administrator Staff Member

It is lovely looking, isn't it?

Just finished Kristin Cashore's Fire which I enjoyed more than Graceling and sets me up to tackle Kristin's new one, Bitterblue.

Mark

14. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

I've had Graceling sat on my shelf for over a year, and I've not gotten around to it.

15. Hobbit

Hobbit Administrator Staff Member

Fire has been on my shelf longer than that, actually. (I worked it out at at least three years!) They're both flawed in my opinion, but Fire I enjoyed more.

Bitterblue's a huge novel: clearly there's been a while working on it!

Mark

16. Westsiyeed

Westsiyeed The Fifth Dominion

Finished a re-read of Vandermeer's City of Saints and Madmen - still a fantastic book. So much detail and imagination has gone into creating the city of Ambergris, I almost feel like I'm there when reading some of the stories.

Always nice to go back and read a favourite!

17. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

I see. I'll probably keep it on my shelf for a while, then. Way too much to read as it is, and I don't want to start (m)any new series until I've got some more done.

18. s271

s271 Repudiated Ursus

Reading Saladin Ahmet's Throne of the crescent moon and liking it a lot. Classical Fafhrd and Gray Mouser Sword&Sorcery in Arabian Nights settings with hint of some serious undertones beneath.

19. AmethystOrator

AmethystOrator Registered User

Thanks for the info Kazz, and sorry for the mistake. I'll continue on with Books 2 & 3 (I bought them during Borders' bankruptcy) when I can figure out where they are.

20. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Finished!

It lulls a little in the middle, but once you hit the last 100 pages it's just stellar.