Reading in August

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Hobbit, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Hobbit

Hobbit Administrator Staff Member

OK – it’s now August, eighth month of the year. What creepiness have you been reading in the Horror Dungeons this month, and what do you think? Tell all!

Hobbit

2. Beleg

Beleg Registered User

Finished.

Rose Madder and Danse Macabre By Stephen King along with his book of novellas Different Seasons.

Started Lost Boy Lost Girl by Peter Straub and hope to start Something Wicked This Way Comes soon.

3. chocky

chocky Taker of Naps

I have started Song of Kali by Dan Simmons. It is not bad so far but it is not really pulling me in, I may put it down for a while.

4. AuntiePam

AuntiePam Cranky old broad

Just started Night of the Beast by Harry Shannon. Shannon says in the intro that the story is a throwback/homage to the monster books and movies he grew up with, and so far, it's a good read.

The intro is one of the nicest, friendliest I've ever read.

Beleg, I really liked lost boy lost girl -- it's not quite as involved as some of Straub's other books. I've tried three times to get into Mr. X and I keep giving up.

5. -apocalypsis-

-apocalypsis- New Member

Finished The Supernatural Tales of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

6. Shayna

Shayna Greyscale

Reading Lost by Gregory Maguire. Was checking his books out awhile ago and thought I would try for myself! :D

7. Priestvyrce

Priestvyrce Registered as What?

What is this one about? I know that he has done parodies/satires of quite a few fairy tales and the like such as "Wicked" telling the Wicked Witch of the East's side of the story and another about Cindrella's step sisters.

8. Shayna

Shayna Greyscale

It is supposed to be on the basis of a spirit of this ancestor, who, family legends claims, was Charles Dickens' childhood inspiration for Ebenezer Scrooge. Or....could it be the ghostly remains of Jack the Ripper? :eek

I am really enjoying this since his character is also a writer and within the story, Winnie is trying to create her story for her next book! Both enjoyable and both in its own way joined at the hip!!

I won't tell you anymore, at this moment, but Gregory has fascinated me! I put emphasis on his dialogue he uses and reative writing!!

I also admire the book cover!! :D It is fabulous!! Not only is there a paper cover, but the inside hardcover is done, I believe with pencil!! (I will later put the picture of the book in the section about bookcovers)!!

I would definitely give it a read! After this one, I intend to pick up his other books!! :D

9. Shayna

Shayna Greyscale

Finished reading Lost by Gregory maguire. it is more of a ghost story. Liked it.

10. Kanin

Kanin Traveler of Worlds

I just realized that I don't think I read one horror book in all of August!!

But, I just picked up some new ones and the problem will be what to read first.

11. Shayna

Shayna Greyscale

Kanin...

Love to know what you picked up????

12. Shayna

Shayna Greyscale

Sorry repeat!!! :eek: