Reading in December 2011

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Hobbit, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Hobbit

Hobbit Administrator Staff Member

This is where, for the last time in 2011, you talk to us about your monthly SF Reads: whether good or bad, we want to discuss with you what you thought.

Our Fantasy Book of the Month is Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami. Discuss here.

Our SF Book of the Month is The Carpet Makers by Andreas Eschbach. Discuss here.

As this is the last 'Reading' thread of 2011, I'd like to thank you all for your continued involvement at SFFWorld and wish you all the compliments of season, whether you follow a religious belief or not.

At the end of the month we will be releasing our customary SFFWorld Review of the Year. More when it appears!

2. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

I'll kick this off. I'm at about the halfway point (a little further) in Sandy Mitchell's first Ciaphas Cain novel, putting me at about just shy of being a quarter of the way through the omnibus it's in, Ciaphas Cain: Hero of the Imperium.

It's got funny moments, but it's generally a fairly easy and enjoyable military sci-fi read without much of a knowledge of 40k needed to grasp it, although it does help with the little nuances and distinction between factions/groups.

3. Luke_B

Luke_B Diamond Dog

I'm reading The Islanders by Christopher Priest. At the halfway point, it's really intriguing, but I have a feeling that at the end I'm going to be left scratching my head about what it's all about. Though, that's not necessarily a bad thing. :)

4. Hobbit

Hobbit Administrator Staff Member

If it helps, Luke, that's how I often feel about Chris Priest's work. I sort've expect it these days...

Mark

5. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

I started Seed by Rob Ziegler yesterday. Four or five chapters into it, I'm intrigued. Beautiful looking book, too.

6. Michael V. R.

Michael V. R. Registered User

Finished The Gods of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs. The second of his Barsoom series. I'm amazed at how well these books hold up against the test of time. And I just found out that next year they're releasing a movie based on the first book, which i read a few months ago. Looking forward to seeing the movie.

Also finished The Free Lunch by Spider Robinson. My first Spider Robinson book. It was amazingly good. One of the best i've read all year.

7. Ropie

Ropie Member of the Month™

Just finishing up The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin. I first read this in 2005 (snowed up in a ski chalet in Andora!) The second time round I have to say it is even better. Possibly my favourite SF book of all :)

8. krisbslick

krisbslick Executor

I’m finishing up The Killing of Worlds by Scott Westerfeld and Field of Dishonor by David Weber.

Then, finally, I'm going to pick up and finish the Void Trilogy by Peter Hamilton.

9. krisbslick

krisbslick Executor

Can the books in the Hainish Cycle be read as standalones? (I.e Just Left Hand or Darkness or The Dispossessed - Award winners)

10. Ropie

Ropie Member of the Month™

Definitely. I have read both and they have only cursory connections, though it is interesting to read about the inventor of 'the ansible' communication device in The Dispossessed as this features in many LeGuin stories.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  11. krisbslick

krisbslick Executor

Awesome, thanks for the info!

12. chitman13

chitman13 Staff

I'm still plowing through Echoes of Honor by David Weber. This book has definitely widened the scope considerably, at least in the sense of including more storyline within one novel. It's interesting that Weber manages to easily include viewpoints from both sides and make them exciting. I'm hoping to finish it fairly soon so I can read at least one, possibly two, of this years releases that I really want to get around to.

13. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

Yeah, I'm sort of in the same boat, I've got a few 2011 releases I want to read before the year ends. I finished Rob Ziegler's Seed today. It was definitely interesting - intriguing premise and Ziegler captured atmosphere very well, I thought. Review to come.

14. Seak

Seak and I like to party.

Started listening to Haze by L.E. Modesitt Jr. So far so good. Anyone else read this? Any thoughts, good or bad?

15. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

I've heard good things, I think, but I am quite interested in getting my grubbies on it. Let me know how it turns out for you.

16. Seak

Seak and I like to party.

Will do. I'm not too far in right now, so I'll let you know. Also funny that we're currently communicating through two different social media avenues. :)

17. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

It's not unheard of :p

So I've had a few late nights recently and I've not been reading as much as I want to, but on Friday (I think) I finished the first Ciaphas Cain novel and quite enjoyed it. I don't think it was perfect, not by any stretch, but it was entertaining and something I'm surely going to continue with.

18. chitman13

chitman13 Staff

Finished Echoes of Honor last night. Powered through the last quarter and very much enjoyed it. After finishing I had to start on the 9th HH book, Ashes of Victory, because I needed to know what happened after the end of EoH. Looks like the 2011 releases will just have to wait a little longer...

19. JustaStaffer

JustaStaffer Registered User

I've spent the last couple of day focused in on Faith by John Love and I'm about 30 pages from finished it. It's really flown under the radar. Due out January 5 is the first of Night Shade's new crop of 2012 debut authors. Here's the blurb:

Not entirely sure what to think of it. Hope to have a long form review soon.

20. DarthV

DarthV Sith Lord

Spent last month ping ponging between Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space and China Mieville's Bas-Lag novels. On the scifi end, this month I've read Century Rain, which was a pretty good read. Did not expect the last paragraph, nice ending! Now on to Pushing Ice. Should be a weird ride after reading the first chapter...this is CNN? wut?