Reading in February 2012

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Hobbit, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Hobbit

Hobbit Administrator Staff Member

This is where you talk to us about your monthly Fantasy and Horror Reads: whether good or bad, we want to discuss with you what you thought.

Our Fantasy Book of the Month is Well of Sorrows by Benjamin Tate. Discuss here.

Our SF Book of the Month is The Recollection by Gareth Powell. Discuss here.

Mark

2. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

I'm still working my way through Dragonfly Falling by Adrian Tchaikovsky and enjoying it.

Not sure what'll be up in fantasy for me after that. Too much to choose from at this point.

3. MattNY

MattNY Registered User

I have been reading The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks the last few days. It was chosen as the book of the month in my reading discussion group. I have a few friends that raved about it quite a bit, but their tastes are not always in line with my own. Honestly, I was not looking forward to it much.

So far, it has exceeded my low expectations. I could go into pros/cons, but bottom line, I am enjoying it as a good fun read, not unlike my recent read of the first Dresden Files book.

I hope to enjoy the remaining two books in the series as much.

4. murf99

murf99 Registered User

Started Gaiman's Neverwhere a couple days ago. About halfway through and finding it a very good read, although not what I'm use to.

5. Corporal Blues

Corporal Blues I like to rock the party

I'm working my way through Black Lung Captain...though it doesn't really feel like work, its too damn fun.

6. Kazz Wylde

Kazz Wylde Rogue Warrior

I've just started Redick's River of Shadows....going good here.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  7. algernoninc

algernoninc Now I'm an axolotl

Finished this about 2 a.m. - couldn't get to sleep before the final page. Great fun, and the best part is, there's still one more book in the series already published. Now I'm playing casting games in my mind for a possible TV series of Ketty Jay adventures :)

8. Astra_

Astra_ Sony Reader PRS-650

I finished yesterday Flashback by Dan Simmons
    Grim, realistic and mature.
    A somewhat depressing book. More often than not it doesn't feel like Sci-Fi at all. Is our world going to be like that within the next 20 years? Who knows? We will see.
    A very good book.

The next one is a return from reality to fantasy.
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen awaits me.
    I am going to start today book 5, Midnight Tides.

9. PeterWilliam

PeterWilliam Omnibus Prime

Finished Erak's Ransom on the 31st and moving on into book 8 of Flanagan's Ranger's Apprentice series - The Kings of Clonmel.

10. Corporal Blues

Yes, that is a happy thought in my head too. Any idea how many Ketty Jay books he has planned?

I was thinking the same thing, that these books would convert easily to either big screen or television. Whether that happens or not, I still love these books. They have an amazing sense of adventure about them.

11. Mark Lawrence

Mark Lawrence The New ... MARK LAWRENCE

Starting TC McCarthy's Germline!

12. Seak

Seak and I like to party.

Finished At the Gates by Tim Marquitz (book 3 in the Demon Squad series) and this series just gets better and better. Tim takes the story to a huge, epic war in heaven.

Jumped into another demons, hell, heaven story in The Damned Busters. Great start, I'm really enjoying it so far. A guy accidentally summons a demon and the demon doesn't know what to do when he won't sign the contract and then hell goes on strike. I loved Hughes' story in Songs of the Dying Earth, this guy knows how to write.

13. Randy M.

Randy M. Registered User

I've seen that and nearly picked it up.

I read Hughes' The Gist Hunters and Other Stories (approx. title) a few years back and had a really good time. I particularly enjoyed his Henghis Hapthorn stories, though I haven't gotten to the novels that include and expand on them.

Randy M.

14. Seak

Seak and I like to party.

I'll let you know. I hear it loses some steam after the great start, which I'm still enjoying. I'll have to look up The Gist, though. I'm quickly becoming a big fan of his.

15. beniowa

beniowa Registered User

I seem to recall that Wooding is planning for four, but don't quote me on that.

16. Corporal Blues

Ok, good to know. Thanks!

17. Kazz Wylde

Kazz Wylde Rogue Warrior

I think I might read the Ketty Jay books next, I've been wanting to get into them for quite awhile. Great characters huh?

18. Glelas

Glelas Seven Mary Four

Reading Shadow Ops: Control Point by Myke Cole.

Magic users have their own military branch alongside the army. Very early into it but I see no sign of tossing it aside.

19. bossfan2000

bossfan2000 Nashville Reader

I don't know what the heck to read next. Over the last 12-18 months I have been concentrating entirely on completed series. And I want to read WoT this year (recently finished The Eye of the World and 60 pages into The Great Hunt)..however, I'm starting to miss reading newer books and the conversations that go along with them on forums when they first come out (case in point, the new Myke Cole book). Maybe I need to find a newish book to read, even if its the first (or early) book in a series.

20. Contrarius

Contrarius You talkin' to me??

Hey there Nashvillian! I don't remember whether we've spoken before, but I'm just down the road apiece in Lebanon. :)

Are you looking for a change of pace from WoT? What sort of thing are you thinking about? There's sooo much out there!