Reading in March 2012

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Hobbit, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Contrarius

Contrarius You talkin' to me??

It makes me very happy to see Berg getting all this love. :)

I should be starting the second volume of the Collegia Magica trilogy within the next week or so. I'll be sad when I run out of books by her!

2. Seak

Seak and I like to party.

I thought the exact same. I liked The Witcher and the ideas of the monsters, but I thought the dialogue was just stupid and the jokes even dumber. And I really think it's all because of the translation.

3. Seak

Seak and I like to party.

Looking forward to it although it's hard to keep from reading Wolves of the Calla.

Almost done with Shadow's Master, the conclusion to Sprunk's trilogy. I'm enjoying it thoroughly. On par with the rest of the series while stepping it up in parts. Tons of action, which I'm loving.

4. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

I swear one line was something like this:
    How it got through proof-reading is beyond me, because it's an absolutely shocking attempt. It's stilted, it reads wrong and so on. Kinda wish that the names were the same as the game series, too. It keeps throwing me off :p

5. Kazz Wylde

Kazz Wylde Rogue Warrior

How many books are in the Flesh & Spirit series?

6. Contrarius

When not listening to Control Point today, I read through Magic's Pawn -- the first book in The Last Herald Mage trilogy by Lackey. Good Lord, talk about teen angst.....I can really see some 15 year old girl swooning over this one. Yikes.

Nonetheless, I'm reading the rest of the trilogy......you know, just for educational purposes.....really.....

7. NickeeCoco

NickeeCoco Reader Staff Member

Just the two. They're called The Lighthouse Duet. Both of them won Mythopoeic awards.

8. Kazz Wylde

Kazz Wylde Rogue Warrior

Ok I thought so, thanks Nickee. Yeah most of what I hear about Berg is good.

9. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Gave myself a boot up the rear last night and landed face-first back into J.A. Pitts' Forged in Fire.

Hurrah.

10. Hellions

Hellions Felis silvestris

I recently finished Lost Souls by Poppy Z. Brite, a standalone vampire horror tale set in New Orleans and kudzu covered landscapes. The author's writing is poetic and literate and instantly reminded me of Caitlin R. Kiernan's style in Silk (though Brite predates her). The similarities don't end there as we're treated to scenes of casual drug use not to mention sex, youths adrift with shady values... The story itself was perhaps a bit "out there" but Brite's twisted fringe characters did resonate favorably.

11. DavelinaJolie

DavelinaJolie Watch out for snakes!

As mentioned in the other thread, I'm reading Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence. Now 200 pages in and I'm enjoying it quite a bit, but I do have some minor quibbles I suppose. The incongruous nature of reading a fantasy novel with historical references is a bit bizarre, and I have a fairly idea of what is going to come of that, and I find the characters to be a bit thin. That said I'm a fan of stuff like the Shannara books, so those two things fit perfectly well with my general reading habits! Looking forward to racing through the rest of this.

12. NickeeCoco

NickeeCoco Reader Staff Member

Finished Breath and Bone by Berg this morning. The ending was beautiful. Made me cry.

13. PeterWilliam

PeterWilliam Omnibus Prime

Was going to read something newer to get a review out, but now I think I'm going to take these off the pile. You and I have had book interests that are too similar for me to ignore.

14. DragonReader

DragonReader Registered User

Finished Honor Bound, by Elaine Cunningham

Now reading Shadow's Master, by Jon Sprunk

15. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

I'm going to start a book by an author I feel I should have read by now: Elizabeth Bear. My next read (starting either tonight or tomorrow) will be her 2012 fantasy novel Range of Ghosts which is the first of a new series.

16. Danogzilla

Danogzilla Couch Commander

I'm with you on that. Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

17. thrinidir

thrinidir dw4rf

Finished The Islanders by C.Priest about a fortnight ago; picked up Kings of Morning by Kearney. I'm 100 and something pages in. We'll see.

18. Contrarius

I read all three books of The Last Herald-Mage trilogy (by Lackey) over the last few days. I really liked parts of them, but other parts made me want to smack Lackey upside the head a few times. OTOH, these should be pretty perfect for a young teenage girl.

I'm also in the middle of Control Point now. Seems kinda Avatar-meets-Heroes-meets-X-men so far. With-holding finalized opinions til the end, obviously.

19. Eventine

Eventine Uh, Staff Member

And what did you think?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2012
  20. Randy M.

Randy M. Registered User

This is a possible read for me over the summer. For what it's worth, Brite's story collection, Wormwood, was one of my favorite reads in the '90s. It has a fair amount of her early, raw work which made it fascinating to watch the progression to her later, more fully realized stories, like "Calcutta, Lord of Nerves" and "His Mouth Will Taste of Wormwood."

Right now I'm reading Kiernan's story collection, To Charles Fort, with Love, which is wonderful, weird reading, and next up will Kiernan's new novel, The Drowning Girl.

Randy M.