Reading in March 2012

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Hobbit, Mar 1, 2012.

1. NickeeCoco

NickeeCoco Reader Staff Member

I think you're going to end up putting the duet up there with Paks.

As for what I'm reading now, I picked up Deadhouse Gates, book two of the Malazan series. Don't really have much to say about it at this point, because I've only read four pages.

2. Danogzilla

Danogzilla Couch Commander

I started Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch. Pretty excited about it. Really hope volume three comes out this year.

3. Zsinj

Zsinj Registered User

Finished Elizabeth Kostova's "The Historian." It was certainly different and the ending more than a bit dissappointing. There's no question Kostova is a brilliant writer in prose, her form hearkening back to classic literature, but I expected Dracula to be portrayed as a helluva lot more powerful and drenched with pure evil and demonic malice. He is supposed to be the master vampire lord, after all.
    On a more positive note, I'm now almost twenty pages into Stephen King's "The Dead Zone," and as usual, King is just drawing me in with his style and both lovable and unlovable characters. I have to say I could have done without the scene where that guard dog gets kicked to death by that psychotic salesman; it nearly made me cry. I don't know why but when I see humans being tortured in stories and movies, it's creepy, but it doesn't bother me so much, but when I see animals being tortured, it just breaks my heart and kills me inside.
    Heck, I'm such a wuss about it I shut off the remake of "The Amityville Horror" film when the main guy goes insane and slaughters his own dog and refused to watch the rest of it.
    But never the less I'm enjoying the "Dead Zone" so far.

4. suciul

suciul Read interesting books

Today a little to my surprise an earc of Liz Williams new series debut from Prime (June) Worldsoul became available and I am really excited to start it seriously later tonight. Here is the blurb:

"What if being a librarian was the most dangerous job in the world? Worldsoul, a great city that forms a nexus point between Earth and the many dimensions known as the Liminality, is a place where old stories gather, where forgotten legends come to fade and die - or to flourish and rise again. Until recently, Worldsoul has been governed by the Skein, but they have gone missing and no one knows why. The city is also being attacked with lethal flower-bombs from an unknown enemy. Mercy Fane and her fellow Librarians are doing their best to maintain the Library, but...things...keep breaking out of ancient texts and legends are escaping into the city. Mercy must pursue one such dangerous creature. She turns to Shadow, an alchemist, for aid, but Shadow - inadvertently possessed by an ifrit - has a perilous quest of her own to undertake."

5. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Finished.

*Happy dance*

6. sullivan_riyria

sullivan_riyria Creator of Worlds

I loved the premise of the Dead Zone - I think King is exceptional with "what if" scenarios. If I had one complaint it is that his endings tend to be disappointing (The Stand) but he does a great job with premises and characters.

7. Westsiyeed

Westsiyeed The Fifth Dominion

I've read some good reviews of The Drowning Girl - will be interested in what you think.

8. Hellions

Hellions Felis silvestris

I finished Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. I was initially a bit reluctant to plunge into this novel seeing all the comparisons to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, which for me tends to evoke randomness, silliness and chaotic plots. Neverwhere was all these things of course but Gaiman infused his London Below society with life and populated it with several memorable characters. Good plot, fine writing and an unusual main protagonist (just a random guy).

9. Hellions

I don't know, I would argue that a certain violent scene in the final book could be shocking to teenagers and would disqualify it for recommendation.

Thank you for your thoughts on Wormwood. I've got it in my sights and have just bought Drawing Blood.

Concerning Kiernan, I'm a bit at a loss. I truly loved her writing in Silk but the plot fell completely flat and meandered into some sort of frustrating nonsensical "dreamscape". I've been reluctant to try some of her other stuff because of it and the sequel sits unread on my shelves. Are all her books in a similar vein?

10. Randy M.

Randy M. Registered User

I haven't read her early novels, except for Threshold, and her last novel before The Drowning Girl, The Red Tree which was one of my favorite reads in 2009. Note, though, that Silk was her first novel, and first novels can be rocky.

When I started To Charles Fort, With Love, it was after reading a couple of other really fine short story collections. Both of those writers, though, were mostly traditional in the way they structured their stories, so Kiernan's stories demanded that I adjust some. Kiernan doesn't seem all that concerned with plot. It's there, and in the stories I've read so far it has its importance, but several of the stories end with the implication of actions important to plot taking place after the end of the story. What Kiernan focused on instead was the revelation to a character of other worlds that may be less than a step away, and what that may mean to the character.

The Red Tree, as simple and straight-forward as the prose is (and I'm having a hard time naming a better current prose stylist than Kiernan), is a complex novel. It combines Kiernan's Lovecraftian/Machen-like imagination with a Shirley Jackson-like concern for understanding her main character. Since the main character is not altogether reliable, you have to work your way through the novel, weighing what is said and what is meant -- is this character having a supernatural/paranormal experience or is she going insane? It's a novel I expect to reward rereading in the future.

There was an official SFFWorld review here, http://www.sffworld.com/brevoff/596.html

I'd say that I've been reading Kiernan more for the quality of her prose and her Gothic imagination than for her plotting.

Randy M.

Addendum: Came across this over my lunch hour as I was reading further in To Charles Fort, With Love. It's from the afterword to her short story, "Nor the Demons Down Under the Sea": “This is one of those stories which takes very seriously my belief that dark fiction dealing with the inexplicable should, itself, present to the reader a certain inexplicability. It’s not about resolution or understanding, but that brief, disturbing contact which usually characterizes actual paranormal encounters.”

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  11. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

I'm losing my Miéville virginity to Un Lun Dun. About 50 pages into it and I've already giggled.

12. Contrarius

Contrarius You talkin' to me??

Ehhhh, I read both the Covenant books and the Darkover books when I was in high school -- and that was a looooong time ago, when teenagers weren't nearly as conversant about sexual issues as they are these days. I think most teens would handle it just fine.

13. Astra_

Astra_ Sony Reader PRS-650

Finished Night of Knives by by Ian C. Esslemont yesterday.
    Steven Erikson tells us in the Introduction that it is not fan fiction. Alas, it reads like one.
    The atmosphere is similar to Erikson’s Malazan world and it encourages. Then, flat, one dimensional characters ruin it. There is just not enough depth. Unfamiliar monsters, magic and boring characters are thrown into one big pile of boring narration.
    I would not even finish the book if not for want to learn more about Kellanved and Dancer. The confrontation of the couple with Surly.
    The overall impression is of reading an Appendix A of you know what book.

Once again I dive into Malazan World.
    The Bonehunters.

14. JustaStaffer

JustaStaffer Registered User

Finished The Killing Moon by NK Jemisin over the weekend. Loved it. Not quite the narrative masterpiece that was 100K Kingdoms, but it's got a lot more depth.

Not sure what to read next...

15. Gouletc1

Gouletc1 New Member

I just finished The Wise Man's Fear and that was awesome can't wait for the next one. I just began Furies of Calderon and its been good so far however I can't really say being only a few chapters in.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2012
  16. cgw

cgw Registered User

Just finished Retribution Falls by Wooding. It was pretty good. I know there are one or two sequels already so just for the sake of discussion - where would the story go from here? Retribution Falls is a sort of story of redemption. Now that people are "redeemed" new stories would just be adventures without the added dimension of learning back stories and the development that happened in the first book. Which is fine if that is what they are. To me Retribution Falls worked as a stand alone and I can't see how the story could match the first book if it is just more of the same (which is what it looks like from the descriptions of the sequels).

17. NickeeCoco

NickeeCoco Reader Staff Member

Further into Deadhouse Gates. Hoping my suspicions about Fiddler are correct.

18. Haliax

Haliax Registered User

This is one of my more anticipated books of the year. I'm a little jealous of anyone getting an advanced copy. It's good to hear that you enjoyed it.

19. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

Redshirts? Oh wait...

20. Hellions

It's a shame really for those rationalists amongst us who would prefer to have those sensible explanations. Then again, maybe Kiernan's style wouldn't mesh well with a heavy dose of realism and is actually better suited for those weird atmospheres and this certain "inexplicability"?
    Thank you for the detailed response, The Red Tree does look interesting.

I can agree with you on an individual level. However rape scenes are a polarizing issue and seeing as some adults can't stomach them, I would have reservations about recommending such material to teens. You've mentioned Covenant and it's hard to ignore the huge negativity that has arisen because of that ONE scene, whether justified or not (especially as there are plenty of other reasons to lambast Lord Foul's Bane :) ). Hence the precautions but hey, maybe you're right and I'm not giving teenagers enough credit. I just wouldn't be comfortable doing it.